Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My hair is falling out...anything I can do?

Hi All!

My hair is starting to fall out. Any suggestions? I don't remember this happening with the band, but then, I lost much slower with the crap band. Any ideas, greatly appreciated!

Sleeve sista, Barb

My nutritionist had me start on 1000mcg of Biotin everyday to help prevent this problem. I'm still 2 weeks away from surgery so can't say if it will really work.

Hi All!

My hair is starting to fall out. Any suggestions? I don't remember this happening with the band, but then, I lost much slower with the crap band. Any ideas, greatly appreciated!

Sleeve sista, Barb

Thanks! Barb

PS...Good luck!

My nutritionist had me start on 1000mcg of Biotin everyday to help prevent this problem. I'm still 2 weeks away from surgery so can't say if it will really work.

After having my Thyroid out (due to cancer) I started to loose my hair then after the band it was 10x worse. I have been on Biotin 1000mg EVERY DAY since and THANK GOD I am now only cleaning the drain every 2 weeks instead of every day- It was like going through Chemo therapy- it would come out in clumps. I knew the anesthesia did a lot (not looking forward to that again) but I plan on continuing with the Biotin for life... I also have thick curly hair so I was lucky no one on the outside really noticed but I did. I used to do a scrunchie 2 x around to make a pony tail- Now I can do 4....

My surgeon said there isn't anything that can be done about the hair loss. It will fall out no matter what. It WILL grow back!

AND.............I should think of my Hair loss as a "TROPHY" So, that is what I do everytime a get a handfull!! LOL

Kelly :)

Nothing will stop it. I didn't have it with my band either. I lost half of my hair by volume between 3.5-6.5 months post-VSG. It's all grown back in.

And, even studies on Biotin have shown that it doesn't contribute to regrowth in any major degree.

Here's some articles that discuss what is going on.

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/

I am only out two weeks and I can see a change in my hair. I had to go and get it cut because it's limp and lifeless. I have not lost any yet but I'm waiting....I'm half bald already I'm really scared at the prospect of losing even more hair! YIKES!!!

Hello, I did get some new hair growth a few months down the road after using Nioxin Shampoo, conditioner and scalp therapy every time I washed my hair. Also read that Ovation Hair Therapy works the same.

Hi All!

Sleeve sista, Barb