Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood thinning injections before and after surgery??

I was just given 1 right before surgery and then once after...I also was told to take no asprin products 24 hours before the surgery

I was given 1 before surgery and then had to give myself one per day for 10 days, as a precaution. I didn't think I could do it myself... I spent the week after surgery at my mother's and she did it for me while I was there but had to do it myself after that... It's very easy and not painful at all if that's what you're afraid of.

I did 2 weeks of heparin injections following my surgery. I think that all patients of my doctor do this... I know that the other two girls who were banded the same day did the injections also..

BTW... it is no big deal after you get over the first one. They really don't hurt.

I also had bilateral pulmanary embolii and am on warfaran for the rest of my life. I needed to start the shots when I first started blood thinners and I was sure i would never be able to give them to myself. I have never liked to depend on other people so, after the first one done by the nurse I bit the bullet and stabbed my stomach. The needles are so fine you don't really feel much- especially if you let the alcohol DRY after swabbing. Learned that the hard way! After surgery I was back on the shots for a few days and it was old hat. It is amazing what we can get used too! I was getting so good at it I only bruised a couple times!

I was given injections while in the hospital. Both before and after and had to wear those pressure socks that tighten and loosen whenever I was in bed. It is general practice with my surgeon. But nothing after going home.

I took Lovenox 5 years ago when I got 2 blood clots in my leg after a surgery. I also was on Coumadin. As a precaution before banding, I was given a dose of Lovenox, and then 1 the next day. Lovenox will thin the blood, but I have been told it is not as dangerous as high molecular weight heparin (what you would get through an IV) Lovenox is a low molecular weight that is given in subcuatenous fat. I will tell you that I was on 2 shots a day for almost a month. One little secret I learned, because it can burn when going in (you do not even feel the tiny needle) is to very slowly depress plunger so you do not have all the meds going in at once and burning. I just sat there for about 30 seconds or so and kept pressing on plunger until all was in. This did not hurt at all. Do not rub after!! GOod luck...

yep, I sure did. I had to give myself injections every 8 hours for 14 days. It was no big deal. Ask for the smallest gauge needles and pinch your skin while u do it. You hardly feel a thing. It is over in no time. The nurse will help u the first time to show u how to do it. Your thighs and lower stomach is the best place. If u get bruises from it they will go away in a week. Good luck with everything.

Thanks everyone, your replies are helpful. I really appreciate them. Keep me in prayer as surgery is monday!!!

Eww yeah i have to give myself an injection to prevent blood clots.. one a day for 11 days after my surgery, so tomorrow is my last one which i am VERY pleased about as its nasty and the stuff u have to inject stings!! This seems to be common practice after wls here in the UK...

I was given a double dose before surgery, and one the next day after surgery because of my history. usually they only give you a single dose shot before surgery.

One funny thing. I should have remembered after being on thinners before that the smallest thing bleeds badly. When the nurse took out my IV she put a gauze on it and left the room. I felt something drip on my hand and I though I had knocked my Water over. I looked down and blood was pouring from my wrist and covering my hand. I put pressure on it, and told my husband to get the nurse. He looked so faint LOL It was a lot of blood in a quick period of time. The nurse came in and got it stopped, but it was a memorable exp.

I DID IT!!!! I GAVE MYSELF THE INJECTION. Fyi, when one is menstrating you don't have to do the blood thinning injections. I got my period the evening before surgery so didn't have to do the injection. I had to wait until my period ended to start injections. Today was the first day and it was a sinch!! No pain, no burning. Just alcohol area and let dry, push needle in, inject slowly and DONE!!! No big deal. Thanks everyone for your help. MDG