Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

study by Dr in California of 5 year patients?

This is so depressing, I probably shouldn't have clicked on this thread right now, I've been in a glum funk since yesterday about a lot of things and this is just fuel to the fire ... Let's just say worst case scenario it is 5 years later and although a person has been diligent about changing their lifestyle, the stomach has still stretched out a lot and now the person is pretty much on a severe diet just to maintain. Can they get a "tighten" tune up? Resize the stomach back down to smaller? Is that possible?

I have seen (maybe in the pages attached) where they talk about a revision of VSG. But if you are diligent about changing your lifestyle you shouldn't stretch your stomach out. I wouldn't think overeating a time or two a year would stretch it too much.

We have gotten a fairly new stand alone procedure... I'm sure time will tell what needs to be done to get the best results. We are the guinea pigs! I am hoping by the 3rd-6th year there will be something to help those who were early out in getting the best continued results.... like a tighten up or whatever. Until then, i will just do the best I can muster... which will NOT be perfect.... but hopefully good enough!

The sleeve doesn't do any funky calorie algebra. A calorie is still a a calorie. It isn't suddenly 1 calorie = 400 calories. It doesn't make your body gain more weight on fewer calories. I would think the worst case scenario is that IF you stretch your stomach and IF you find you can eat more then you just make an effort to eat a normal meal, not a severe diet.

I was the fattest person I knew, and I've still managed to maintain my weight for almost 3 years without really trying. And that's with a tool that does a lot less for me than a VSG does. That's not horn tooting, that's me believing in the power of maintenance. :)

Have read the study yet, but will need to. If what I've seen in posts is accurate, the validity is not high enough to be concerned about.

While I agree that this isn't cause for panic/over reaction, I do think we should "listen" to the bad news too, not just the good stories, to make a more informed decision.

I too was banded and I did NOT get to goal and I did NOT maintain what I lost. There is of course more to the story, but while we are all individuals it is still wise to look at the results that a wider population experienced and learn from it. I think that my results reflect what a whole heck of a lot of people experienced, but of course in 2001 when i was banded, and there was little long term studies, i too thought that the odds of problems were small and odds of permanent sucess were great. I also had a few friends who did really great with the band, at least at first, and so those personal stories encouraged me to listen to the good news and kind of poo-poo the possible bad news. I am trying hard to go in with my eyes wide open.

For me, the regain wasn't what alarmed me. I was more alarmed by some of the longer term complications like serious reflux that shows up 6+ years after surgery. It gave me pause; to wonder how well we really understand the long term consequences of this surgery/.

Anway, I appreciate people finding and posting this info even as incomplete and imperfect as it is.

The sleeve doesn't do any funky calorie algebra. A calorie is still a a calorie. It isn't suddenly 1 calorie = 400 calories. It doesn't make your body gain more weight on fewer calories. I would think the worst case scenario is that IF you stretch your stomach and IF you find you can eat more then you just make an effort to eat a normal meal, not a severe diet.

I was the fattest person I knew, and I've still managed to maintain my weight for almost 3 years without really trying. And that's with a tool that does a lot less for me than a VSG does. That's not horn tooting, that's me believing in the power of maintenance. :)

Have read the study yet, but will need to. If what I've seen in posts is accurate, the validity is not high enough to be concerned about.

While I agree that this isn't cause for panic/over reaction, I do think we should "listen" to the bad news too, not just the good stories, to make a more informed decision.

I too was banded and I did NOT get to goal and I did NOT maintain what I lost. There is of course more to the story, but while we are all individuals it is still wise to look at the results that a wider population experienced and learn from it. I think that my results reflect what a whole heck of a lot of people experienced, but of course in 2001 when i was banded, and there was little long term studies, i too thought that the odds of problems were small and odds of permanent sucess were great. I also had a few friends who did really great with the band, at least at first, and so those personal stories encouraged me to listen to the good news and kind of poo-poo the possible bad news. I am trying hard to go in with my eyes wide open.

For me, the regain wasn't what alarmed me. I was more alarmed by some of the longer term complications like serious reflux that shows up 6+ years after surgery. It gave me pause; to wonder how well we really understand the long term consequences of this surgery/.

Anway, I appreciate people finding and posting this info even as incomplete and imperfect as it is.

I agree.