Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need new Breakfast Ideas

So I went to my 2 month follow up today and the doctor is concerned about the things I have been eating for Breakfast, he wants me to get more Protein. I did explain to him that my stomach is a bit more temperamental in the morning.

I have been eating cream of wheat or yogurt and he thinks I should be eating more Protein rich foods. Half of an english muffin with Peanut Butter on it works for my stomach well but I can't eat that every day and I doubt my doctor wants me eating half of an english muffin.

I cannot eat eggs, my stomach doesn't like them or Breakfast sausage at this point. Bacon works but again I can't eat that every day.

I do not like greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

Any ideas? perhaps someone will mention something I didn't think of.

What are you eating for your other meals? Often, I just eat whatever sounds good to me, not necessarily "breakfast food." This morning I had sauteed shrimp. Yesterday I had chicken salad. Just eat what you like that is high Protein.< /p>

I eat pork, chicken, steak, ground beef, scallops, shrimp, clams, etc....I am not really hung up on the whole "breakfast" food category either but my stomach seems to be sensitive in the morning and was concerned about eating the meat for breakfast.

Mornings are hard during the week because I don't have time to prepare anything right then so it would have to be leftovers which I usually take to work for my lunch.

I have a whole roaster chicken in my fridge, maybe I will try to have some of that tomorrow morning and see what happens.

I understand, my stomach is a little sensitive in the morning as well. I have found that if I force myself to drink my Water first, the food sits much better when I do eat breakfast.

Can you do a shake for breakfast? I sometimes jut grab a protien shake for breakfast.

I love Kashi Go Lean Crisp. It has 9 gm Protein and when I add my milk (My store has a brand of Lactose free milk that has 12 gm per cup) so I end up with 21 grams for Cereal. I also found when my store was out of that milk that Smart Balance Omega 3 milk has I think 10 grams of protein.

I am not a fan of breakfast food, but I did eat poached eggs with cheese because I could not handle scrambled eggs.

I ate a lot of non-breakfast food for breakfast so whatever we had for dinner the night before became my breakfast.

If you are a coffee or tea drinker, I recommend drinking some warm Decaf tea to loosen up your sleeve before eating. It works wonders for me, and I drink regular coffee at this point before I consume any food.

I avoided cereals, oatmeals, cream of wheat stuff because of the carb counts, and cereals like that are pretty mushy so I could eat way more of that than say chicken salad or egg salad.< /p>

I usually have a Protein bar in the morning, because Sleevie HATES mornings, for some reason, and those are tolerated well. I have to be super careful with what I put in there first, no matter what time of day it is. I do try to start with at least 8 oz of Water, too, as I have also found that to be helpful in getting Sleevie to accept the first food offerings.

If I wake up particularly nauseous (not often, happily), I sometimes eat 1 saltine right away, then start the Water 30 minutes later, and then have my Protein Bar or whatever I feel I can tolerate. I'm not a fan of dairy in the morning, either, but turkey lunch meat with some cream cheese rolled up in the middle is pretty easy on the stomach, I think--just not the smoked kind (bad experiences!).

It's the edges of the day where I have to be most careful, I think because in the morning, everything is sort of small and picky, and in the evening, my Prilosec from the previous evening has worn off. Today I started taking a famotidine with lunch to get me through that acidic period at supper, so we'll see how that works.

I will also say that if you're drinking coffee or tea or juice in the morning, be sure that's not contributing to your picky tummy. I love my coffee but I have to wait until after I've eaten something, or it shreds me.

Cheers! Meg

You don't have to eat breakfast food. Eat leftover dinner or have lunch stuff. I often eat Foster Farms Turkey meatballs for bfast. 3 of them have 16g of Protein in them and they are so moist and good.

I had a leftover hamburger today for bfast and yesterday I had leftover pot roast.

Protein Drink

chicken salad

Turkey

Lunchmeat w cheese

Porkchop

Eggsalad

Salmon burgers

Crabcakes

Fish

tuna

I eat what is easy and conveinent. I usually don't eat until I get to work and don't cook when I am there, so whatever I can heat in the microwave is what I have. Or I take a boiled egg. I like turkey sausage too that is fast and easy.

Hope this gives you some other ideas!!

Kelly

Try the Greek Yogurt in a smoothie - it masks the taste and the texture. This one has 10 grams of Protein and about 95 calories:

1/2 c. Fage 0 Greek Yogurt ( I buy it at costco, comes in a giant tub): 65 calories

1/8 c. OJ: 15 calories

2 strawberries: 15 calories

Splenda to taste ( I use a couple tablespoons)

Lynda

I would recommend trying different brands of greek yogurt. I've heard great things about the Trader Joe's greek yogurt. I like the Yoplait greek yogurt and the Lucerne brand (store brand). I bet if you really want to have cereal you could mix some cereal into your yogurt (just not too much so you don't get too many carbs).

What about cottage cheese? It has a lot of Protein and is pretty easy on the tummy.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I typically don't eat breakfast until I get into the office either so i do have time in the morning to try some different stuff. The coffee idea from Tiffykins might work and I'll see if that helps. This morning I decided to have a Protein Shake first thing instead of trying to feed myself something heavy.

What about the high Protein coffee / hot cocoa drinks? I got mine from the bariatric pantry online and they are yummy!

The warmth helps my tummy in the morning plus i get 17g of Protein. Not bad.

I frequently do a Protein Shake with milk, frozen cherries and sugar free almond Syrup, sometimes I'll do 1/2 milk and 1/2 yogurt. I bought one of those sports bottle blenders and extra bottles, when I take them out of the dishwasher I just add a scoop of Protein Powder and in the a.m. all I have to do is add milk, some frozen cherries and a dash of syrup blend, switch tops and then I'm out the door. I also like those shaker bottles with the little wire ball that you can buy at GNC or VitaminShoppe. I use those for milk and a packet of sugar free carnation instant breakfast, sometimes I'll also add a scoop of Protein powder.

Instead of the 1/2 english muffin, try some instant oatmeal with Peanut Butter, it's really good.

This was a great read - A lot of good advice and suggestions here from everyone. Thanks for the info

Morning star farms makes non meat meat products (freezer section) including breakfast sausage patties, links or crumbles that are good and high in protein...they might sit better than the "real thing". If something does not work, try it again later, the wee stomach changes its mind as time goes on... I know you dont like cottage cheese, but if you blend it and add some flavor Syrup or fruit, is quite good and creamy without being sour... and very high in Protein.< /p>