Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need advice or encouragement. Thanks,

Hi, I began my journey March 31, 2006. I started at 214. Had my first fill on May 19th at a weight of 204. After over a month and 1/2 I am at 200. Only 4 pounds. I am not hungry and eat my "weight watchers" point system. Even before the band and only on weight watchers I lost more weight than this. Somedays the food goes down without a hitch and the next day I pb all day long so my big problem is "do I get another fill". I am 58 years old and don't want to pb every day if that is what another fill will do. So am I just a slow loser or do I need another fill? I feel that I am slipping into a "depression" over this and that is not what I got this fill for. Any advice. Thanks....I really appreciate you guys....

In my opinion, I think your expectations could be a little bit too high at this point. You're 58 years old and your metabolism is definately slower at this age. My suggestion is not to worry so much about weight watchers points and do the band suggested diet of LOTS of Protein, more veggies, and little carbs.

With limited calorie intake, we have to make sure the choices we make are the best ones. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet right now and I could be just eating two big macs per day but instead I do a mix of healthy foods like salads, lean meats, healthy choice etc.

I know that weight watchers is a good diet for non bandsters, and could be great for someone who is banded for a while and is at their max fill, but to someone who is still on their first fill, I would just do the band recommended diet.

I'm sure this isn't advice that you were looking for so feel free to ignore me completely :scared:

Does your Doctor advise WW? I've been told, it's Protein first - then vegetables, etc. I'm 55, and I don't expect to see the kind of weight loss that a 30 year old will experience. I think too, because I've been at one weight for years, my body will want to hold on to that number. Do you exercise? Do you drink lots of Water? I haven't had my first fill yet, and I slip in and out of depression all the time! :scared: I do think tho, if you're having PB's all the time, your stomach can't handle what you are eating.

Better to go back to liquids for a few days, let your tummy heal.

I wish you luck on your journey... it's a long and winding road.

You started out at a relatively low weight and have lost close to 10% of your body weight already. Does your surgeon have a dietician? If not, it might be a good idea to spend the money for one who knows the requirements of lapband patients and can review what you're eating now and make suggestions for improvements.

Please remember that the lap band yields 1-2 lbs a week. At 1 lb a week your 4 lb loss is normal. Metabolisms and previous damage to our bodies are different for everyone. Some lose weight very rapidly and stand still. Some take some time. It will work, just follow your dieting and eating rules and you will be successful. I can't remember who said it (I think it was Jack) but "you didn't gain all your weight in a few months, don't expect to lose it in a few months".

HUGS!! Everything will be okay. Just think.... you are 15 lbs lighter than you were a few months ago! That is terrific progress!!!

I agree with HoneyBun. If you don't know your caloric intake with WW then it may be defeating the band. WW isn't 1000-1200 calories a day. I think its more than that. I would say to use the points and/or core system and try and figure out how to keep the calories low enough to lose. 1-2 lbs a week while banded is about the same long term with WW but eating lean Proteins, vegies and limited carbs is quite different then counting points IF you are eating too many carbs, etc. YOu will be okay..just think about how much you are consuming. Keep the faith and don't give up.

I think your weight loss is fine as is. I post this all the time, so if you are a regular reader, forgive hearing this again...it is very important to be patient. Being in a hurry can cause problems. Your body might need some time to adjust to its new weight as you go. That's what would happen to me, and still does. As I would lost 5-6 pounds, I would stay there for quite a while, then lose some more. It was never a steady progression. As you read more and more here, you will see that each person has a pattern. Find yours, and accept it. You will be happier, and enjoy your journey more!

Hi guys/......

Thank all of you for your advice and encouragement. It was just the push I needed. You all agreed with my husband......LOL....

"The old grey mare ain't what she used to be....SHE'S BETTER"....

I think I need more Protein and less carbs now that I look at what I have been eating.

When will I know if I need another fill. I like the way it feels now so should I wait?

Thanks again guys....You are great.

Hope

If you are regularly PB'ing, you probably don't need a fill yet. Get that under control before doing anything more to yourself. I think you just need to pay attention to what your body is telling you.

I am one of the older gals, too - 60. We just react to things differently than the 30 year olds. Metabolism is different now. Sad, but that is the way it is. I would forget WW and follow the bandster diet. Three oz of Protein, then veggies, then carbs. I just try to eat good food.

I have yet to have my first fill. Banded about 2 months ago. However, I have been gaining and losing the same pound for about three weeks. I found I was able to eat anything I wanted to put in my mouth, *normal* sized bites, and but still chewed well. That isn't good. No wonder I have stalled. I finally made my first fill appointment for the end of July.

We may just be slow losers.

Just my own experience.............but..........I fought with WW because they had a "minimum" amount of points I had to consume and for me, at 43 and already menopausal, it was too many points. I argued that I required less pts to lose and they said that if I chose to do it that way I would not really be doing their program. I believe that if I follow our dietary guidelines I will maintain my weight. Period. I need less food, Vitamins, nutri-shakes, or something else to combat my weight problem. Point is .............. careful of what they say at WW. It is a great program but doesn't work for everyone, especially food/sugar addicts like myself who would just as soon pop some vitamins and spend the rest of my minimalized points on the delicious WW Desserts. Its sooo what you eat and not just how much. Unfortunately for some, like myself, it is both what I eat and how much. I even "maintained" on the eat all you want cabbage Soup diet.

Wasn't it awful after awhile? I mean spices helped but I three of us from my work did it at the same time and boy, did our classroom smell of cabbage. Poor students!

You are so right about the points. I found myself saying that chicken is 4 points so I could have 4 of the little chocolate cakes that are 1 point each so no more points for me. I will just have to force myself to eat Protein. I am not a meat eater so any recipes to make meat taste better would be great. Don't think gravy counts.... I was just hoping that after the band surgery I would just not want to eat as much.

It's so great to hear from all of you.

Try to eat some meat because it is high in Protein, but there are other things. Fish is good, especially Gorton's frozen without breading and easy to fix. Beans are high in protein. I think there are vegetarian bandsters. Maybe you could put out a call to them and see what comes back at you.