Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Argon's Activities

Omigawd! Some of my worst hair catastrophes have been from the most expensive hair places. I think that this is because these people think of themselves as artistes and therefore feel quite comfortable ignoring your wishes.

My last disaster happened a couple of months before I was due to visit friends in Paris. She gave me a perm. She cut my hair first, then over-permed it, and then I ended up looking - because I have reddish blonde hair - like Bozo the Clown! Yes, I went to Paris looking like Bozo the Clown and I paid about 150 bucks for the priviledge. Ugh! It was one of the low points of my life.

Now I go around the corner to my neighbourhood barbershop. This is run by a woman named Ashanti who comes from Trinidad. She is a tiny and very beautiful woman with hair that hangs past her waist. Her barbershop is in the way of a neighbourhood institution and serves a variety of folk: little old Portuguese ladies, teenagers, punk rockers, and people who come in a variety of colours and have a variety of hair needs as a result.

I have thick, kinda frizzy hair. I always ask her to give me a blunt cut. A couple of years back I was bored and gave myself bangs. I used my nail scissors to do the job. Ashanti was appalled by my self-mutilation but she rolled with it. And I like the bangs.

When I go in she washes my hair and then cuts it. This takes about 20 minutes because I don't want to wait for a blow dry. She charges me 15 bucks and I give her a 20 dollar bill.

I never make an appointment and I always leave in a good mood. This is because her barbershop is fun place to hang out in. There is usually 3 or 4 people loitering in the shop and these are always a mixed group of individuals. But they all know Ashanti and they are having fun chatting to each other and joking.

I have no idea why I launched into this whole long post but I suspect it is because it is because our hair is part of our identity. Good luck on your hair cut. Let us know how this turns out, eh.

Sounds like a cool place, green. And thanks guys for the good haircut vibes! Too bad they didn't work!! it's not baaad. I was happier with it the night I got it cut, than I was the next day when it was washed and I had to try to replicate it myself. Apparenly my hair's a little kinky to just blowdry and expect my bangs to look ok. They're also more blunt than I'd like. She said they'd be tapered down, but they really aren't. As they grow, I'll make sure I get that done, cause right now, I don't feel like I can just let them hang down. They feel tooo weird. Yesterday, I wore my hair in a ponytail for the very first time at work, and pinned the bangs back. Tonight's our Xmas party and I just don't know what i'll do. I bought a cheapo straightener, and hopefully that'll tame my bangs.

I'm pretty sure I won that 27 million last night, so if I did, I'll buy a super nice wig, with the kind of bangs I want!

Green: I loved your story about the neighbourhood barbershop with Ashanti.....I could completely visualize it! You know what I kept thinking? It would make a GREAT TV series......really, it would....what a great storyline, set-up for it!

Mandi: HAVE FUN AT YOUR XMAS PARTY TONIGHT!!!!!

Thanx, Yoda. In the right hands my neighbourhood barber shop would make for a good TV series, being as it's multicultural and all - which is the Canadian thing.:clap2:

Mandi,

How did the Christmas party go???? Did ya have fun?

Green,

How's the TV series going? The Barbershop angle sounds like a hoot!

Have a great Christmas!

Hey guys, I'm back. I've been feeling sorry for myself, over my funky bangs, and the fact that what's-her-face lost 14 lbs to my 11lbs... which I found out on Sat. at the party.

The party.... ehh... let's just say I got a lot of hassling today about it. I didn't make a fool of myself, but apparently I was quite lively.... and funny, they say. I told this guy (who happened to be the guy I had for Secret Santa), that I wanted to make him a CD, because he's a DJ at a couple local bars - "It's that sh!t you like, mixed with other sh!t you like, and made into something way cooler!". It was supposed to be to make up for my lame CD store gift card. I did alot of hugging... think I convinced one of the accounting ladies to come to the gym... harassed a waiter ...along with a whole bunch of other people. Guys hit on me... I think. It was very strange, but very nice! I think it scared Dan.

So yeah, the next day was rough... not the worst I've ever lived, but a little rough!! Today, I had to face people, and try to recollect what stupid things I'd told/said to them. Apparently I was funny though... and as long as I didn't embarass Dan (or myself too much) I'm ok with it.

Went to the gym tonight, by myself, because she had to work late. I ran into the changeroom and hopped on the scale, just to check if I had a better weight to report. I didn't. Think I was even up. :) Did my workin' out, and halfway asked the lady when we'll find out the results, because we were leaving for Xmas on Friday. She said she wasn't sure, and proceeded to call who I only imagined was the boss lady. When I was all done, and leaving, she was still on the phone... she stopped me and said that we would know on Wed. She said "there's 2 people tied for 1st place". I said "oh, wow, who else?" she wouldn't tell me. and I said "Well, I know its not me, cause Lauren lost way more than me".

She told me it WAS me and her who were tied, because even though she lost more, I lost more inches... and however they figure it out, we are sooo close that she said it wouldn't be fair to call us either 1st or 2nd. So we're both 1st!! WOOO! That soooo made my day/week. I was feeling bad for not trying more... and being cocky... and that I haven't lost anything in weeks. But that makes me feel better. I'll still get some money, and I should be able to buy a 3 month membership with it.

I'm not going to make my Xmas goal. I wanted to be able to tell people when I see them that I've lost 90lbs. Not that the real number isn't awesome... but saying NINETY seems so much more surreal. Maybe some freaky thing will happen between now and friday, but I won't count on it. I figure now, screw it, I'm going to enjoy Xmas, and I'll worry about this when I get home.

anyways, lots of more posts to read!

and

only 4 more sleeps til I go home!

Argon, you have done awesome on the whole, I have been reading through all of your pages, right from the beginning, and I can't tell you how impressed I am with your success, not just you, all of you that I have been reading about. It's so nice to see how supportive you all are of each other. I am so looking forward to being able to share with you guys.

Anyways, I just want to say congratulations, and Merry Christmas, enjoy your time at home.

Thank you, becca, and neenagh!

I'm ok with it. I'm glad that I won't have lost the most, so won't get questioned on how the heck I did it. I don't know how the heck SHE did it, having a Tim Horton's Breakfast sandwich every morning!

I would like to know how she did it too Mandi, those sandwiches are high in calories. Kudo's to you for doing so well. :hug: :clap2:

Maria :girl_hug:

WTG Mandi, 1st place even though you have to share it. After she had her daily breakfast sandwich did you follow her to the washroom? I'm being bad....sorry..

yeah, I know... I looked 'em up, and the calories alone are 500!

And Wheezy, LOL, no... I haven't. But I doubt that's it! She's got a few more pounds on me... so I dunno, maybe that's how she's able to eat them. I figure my odd honey cruller is not nearrrrly as bad as one of those sandwiches!

She bought that "YOU on a diet" book, that she saw on Oprah, and is following something that's talked about in the book, I guess. Apparently she's not eating as much Pasta, but I don't know where in the book it would say that something like that would be a good idea! Sausage, egg, cheese on a biscuit!? Maybe I'm jealous. Nah! I had bites of Dan's a couple times when they first came out, and now, just smelling them around the office every morning makes me sick!

On that note... I should tell you guys about my new work place. After the Xmas break, we'll be coming back to a new studio. A whole new building to ourselves, that they've been renovating for the past few months. It was owned by 'the Legion', and now they're only occupying the basement, which includes a bar! Woo!

THE coolest thing, I think, is.... there's a big kitchen in this place. It's going to be rented out to a catering company, who's going to do their thing in our kitchen, but also run what's pretty much like a little restaurant right in our office! We were able to give suggestions for foods we'd like them to have on the menu. It's pretty cool. I JUST hope, that there's not a ton of deep frying going on... I've worked in my share of greasy restaurants, and I don't wanna smell that again!