Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What about Post-Op Follow-ups for the Mexico folks?

My mom is concerned... :o The U.S. hospitals include "after care". Mom is concerned that my insurance won't cover anything at home in the event something went wrong. I'm thinking, What?? They cannot refuse service to uninsured people. Seriously? :mellow: Of course, I don't know if calling them and asking them is wise. No doubt I'd have some sort of red flag in my file hahahaha (am I just sure the insurance companeis are out to mess with people?) B)

Anyway, I will easily get a referral to a nutritionist BEFORE I go have surgery...then it's not "pre-existing" lol as if I got this fat overnight.

But does anyone have thoughts on post-op follow-up care>? Don't they just look at your incisions? Am I naieve?:unsure:

Thanks for your input!

You need to have labs drawn periodically. Any regular doctor can do that. Have your B12 checked, your Iron, Calcium and D3.

You can have an upper GI if you want to at some point. I am 2 years post op and I just had one done when I went back to Mexicali for my face lift. It was $30 there and it would have been several hundred here. Dr. Campos said my sleeve looked great and I hold around 3-4 oz oz of food.

Lots of people who opt for surgery in the US travel out of state to get their surgery, so although "aftercare" may be included, you'd have to travel to get it.

Because my health insurance has a BMI requirement for surgery that I didn't meet, although I was obese and heading toward morbid obesity, my PCP was delighted to do my post-surgery labs and referred me to a nutritionist (who was an idiot, but I did get a referral). Since I had no complications after surgery, the need for follow-up is minimal. My surgeon didn't leave any stitches to remove and if I had a question about anything he was an email or phone call away.

My mom is concerned... :o The U.S. hospitals include "after care". Mom is concerned that my insurance won't cover anything at home in the event something went wrong. I'm thinking, What?? They cannot refuse service to uninsured people. Seriously? :mellow: Of course, I don't know if calling them and asking them is wise. No doubt I'd have some sort of red flag in my file hahahaha (am I just sure the insurance companeis are out to mess with people?) B)

Anyway, I will easily get a referral to a nutritionist BEFORE I go have surgery...then it's not "pre-existing" lol as if I got this fat overnight.

But does anyone have thoughts on post-op follow-up care>? Don't they just look at your incisions? Am I naieve?:unsure:

Thanks for your input!

I spoke with my Primary Care Doctor before I went. I was up front and told her what I was doing. She thought is was a great idea and said that she would be happy to do any of my after care when I got home. She had me come in 2 weeks after I was home. I would suggest that you talk with your doctor. If he or she is against you going then you don't want or need that person for your doctor. Find one that will support you. They will bill your insurance and then the insurance pays. They will just be running your blood panel and that really is about all you will need. Tell you Mom this is all about YOU and no one else. I know she is worried, but honestly sometime they worry too much. There really is NOT much after care needed after having a sleeve. Good luck.

Thank you for the responses! I am seeing my regular provider here stateside on Friday. While i don't 'need' his approval, I certainly hope he is supportive and willing to continue to be concerned with my health even if he wasn't part of the process. I suspect that there may be some antagonism because i left the country for healthcare. I hope I'm wrong. :-)

That was a HUGE concern of mine also. I knew my regular GP would NOT be supportive. I found a Health & Wellness center run by a Nurse Practitioner. He is going to do my followup. I will be going to him once a month for B12 shots & anything that might be needed. That was a RELIEF to know that there was a medical person waiting for me in the state.

I was just sleeved on Thursday, June 30th. I have my first follow-up appointment on the 17th.

I go to my PCP for all of my after care. I have had a very easy recovery other than becoming dehydrated. I knew I was and went to her and she sent me over to the hospital to have an IV and 2 bags of Fluid. (She doesn't do it in the office.) She sent an order over and they didn't ask me anything about my surgery. My insurance covered it without question.

My PCP is very supportive of me having the surgery and was behind all the way with going to Mexico. It may not be what she would decide to do but she understood why I did it and has not judged me at all, she has only been supportive.

I am going next week for blood work and she is keeping an eye on me to make sure my recovery continues to go so well.

The after care was a concern for me, too bc it is major surgery so there is, of course, a possibility of complications. I had to let it go bc I could not live in fear of wondering what if something goes wrong. The way I look at it is that I have more of a possibility that I will have complications from being obese than I would with having surgery!:)