Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

elevated blood sugar 2 weeks post VSG

It's been 16 days since my VSG. I had a near-perfect surgery - no pain, no problems. I quit taking Januvia the day before surgery and my blood glucose has been perfect. Until yesterday. I noticed after eating some low-sugar Cereal that my blood sugar skyrocketed to 230. It's never been that high. I watched it lower to 121 over a few hours. This morning it was 107 before Breakfast. After a Protein Shake it was 170. What's happened? Lowering my blood sugar was the reason I did the surgery. Anyone had post-surgery spike in blood glucose?

Did you wait 2 hours after eating to test? Once I saw that kind of spike after eating some carbs, but it was because I had eaten about an hour before.

From the day of my surgery, I did not take any of my glipizide. I was thrilled. However, about 2 weeks ago, when I checked my fasting blood sugar when I got up in the morning, I started have sugars in the 120's, then 130's, then 140's. So I added back my glipizide at bedtime. Now my sugars are back to the 100's & 110's. I don't know if it is because my body was in the adjustment phase, or maybe now that I am including some carbs it went up again. I am not freaking out about it. I have a followup appt with my PCP in July and will discuss it with him then. Or my body may readjust again.

At any rate, unless you are a brittle diabetic, I would not check your FSBS more than once in the morning before you are ingested anything. That of course is up to your doctor and you, but if you are stressing out about it, that in itself can affect your blood sugar. Good luck...Kathe

I didn't. I checked it almost right away. I'd felt so confident since my glucose ranged from 75 - 120 over the previous 2 weeks. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the result on my meter. I even opened another container of test strips, just in case. Today it's a little better but nothing like the previous 2 weeks. I thought high blood glucose was behind me. What a disappointment. On Wednesday, 14 days after my surgery, I checked in with the doctor. All was well, I'd lost 13 pounds and I was so optimistic. I called my doc today and told him about this and he said he'd never seen this happen. I'm supposed to watch my blood sugar closely over the weekend and let him know what happens.

Did you wait 2 hours after eating to test? Once I saw that kind of spike after eating some carbs, but it was because I had eaten about an hour before.

When I first got the diagnosis of diabetes, I was told to NOT test before 2 hours after eating as it would not be as accurate. So, I tested before I ate and then at least 2 hours later so I could see how the food really affected me.

It's normal for the glucose to spike after eating - but it will normally resolve in 2 hours. That's the reason for the 2 hour rule after eating.

You should wait for 2 hours, from what I have been told it is the standard rule. After I started eating real foods again mine went up too. It ranges between 90 and 140 now depending on what I have eaten. The cereal you ate even though low sugar is high carb and carbs are a diabetics worst enemy. Even though it seems we are no longer diabetics, we really still are, its just that we are making the right food choices and can't eat a lot anymore so our diabeties is basically in remission. The minute we go off of this regimine before we reach our optimum weight I am sure we will see the numbers go up. When I started eating regular foods again I added carbs back in the form of wheat but carbs none the less and my numbers spiked. I started taking half of a glipizide pill to help it. I have since taken the carbs out for the most part keeping them under 30grms a day and they are stabalizing again. I hope it gets better for you.

How weird, Raine and I were JUST talking about this topic on the phone the other night! People are under the impression that this wls is a CURE for diabetes. IT IS NOT! The "cure" happens because of the lower portions and different eating style you've implemented. Diabetes then goes into remission. You will still be diabetic at the end of the day and should monitor your sugars accordingly. Carbs are a big no no, for diabetics as well as wls patients so normally, like I said, the diabetes seems to be cured. If you were a diabetic before wls, you will still be one after. The diet part of the wls is the seemingly cure part of this, so please, if anyone out there is looking into wls, be aware of this.

Now people will post after me and tell you how they got off all or most of their medications and that's AWESOME! But I can't stress enough to please keep testing your sugars because this isn't a cure. This info came straight from a doctors mouth but don't believe me, ask your doctor specifically about it being a CURE. I hope this helps people that are looking into wls strictly to cure diabetes because there is a lot of misinformation out there, people just like you that had the surgery to cure themselves only to be disappointed afterward.

Renee`