Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loseing Protein Content?

A group for WLS paients on FB posted about how if you let a Protein drink sit it will lose it's Protein content. Has anyone heard of this?

I make my drink (protein powder/milk/ice) at 0520 am and it sits in a cooler wrapped in an ice pack until usually 9am when I'm ready for Breakfast. It then takes me about 30 mins to drink it.

Am I really loosing protein by doing this? I'm not sure how else I can work it since I only like them mixed in the blender and I leave my house at 535am and I just can't stomach it that early in the morning (I tried)! LOL

I am having a hard time imagining how that would work...something in Water or milk would make the Protein degrade? If that's the case, why doesn't the Protein in Isopure (water based, in the bottles) degrade? Or the protein in RTD shakes that are milk-based? Or, for that matter, milk itself? If you brought deli meat to work and didn't eat it right away, would the protein go away?

It doesn't make sense.

A group for WLS paients on FB posted about how if you let a Protein drink sit it will lose it's Protein content. Has anyone heard of this?

I make my drink (protein powder/milk/ice) at 0520 am and it sits in a cooler wrapped in an ice pack until usually 9am when I'm ready for Breakfast. It then takes me about 30 mins to drink it.

Am I really loosing protein by doing this? I'm not sure how else I can work it since I only like them mixed in the blender and I leave my house at 535am and I just can't stomach it that early in the morning (I tried)! LOL

I know they do lose some value, but I have no idea how quickly. Have you tried some of the ready to drink ones? They're more expensive, but very easy. Otherwise, can you get a small personal-sized blender to keep at work?

I have never heard that. Ask the dietician at your surgeon's office or hospital. Please post the answer though. Enquiring minds and all that.

Protein would not degrade that fast. It may over time (months or up to a year) but not in a couple of hours. Look at the premade Proteins they have a best before date which means this is the length of time that the product will be what they state on the packaging. After that time there is the possibility of degredation of the product and it going "bad". I would not worry about making your drink and not fully consuming it for a couple of hours.

Our support group is this coming Saturday, so I will ask them. They make samples of shakes and mixes and the coordinator is actually had the bypass. I will let you know what I find out.

I just moved and haven't been able to see a PCM yet to get a referral for anyone so I have no professional to talk to :( It didn't sound like it was right but you never know! LOL Thanks everyone!