Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies only please - hormone problems

Has anyone else had hormone ups and downs. I have started period after abnormal period since I was banded and started losing weight. I am on the pill, but it is a very low dose. I feel like a teenager again. Horrible cramps, mood swings, pimples all the stuff I've outgrown. Has anyone else experienced this? Help me please.

My gyn dr and surgeon told me that i would have hormone changes after my surgery. I have ovarian cysts and endometriosis and have been on HRT's and BCP's since I was 13. For the last 4 yrs Ive been controlled on the same meds, and not getting my period, I'm now 2 months post-op and I've having bleeding issues as well as cramps, and acne. Not everyone goes through this, but some people do, that's also why they suggest when you have the surgery that if you are on BCPs you stop them before the surgery, and consult your surgeon before restarting them.

I hope this was helpful.

I've never been a PMT sufferer except occasionally in months where I've really been hard on myself - like at around Christmas time - all the alcohol, rich food etc, then I'll suffer. Months when I treated myself well I'd be surprised by the arrival of my period, absolutely no warning signs, and I've never been one to plot it on the calendar.

Since banding, I've had PMT every single month. Sore boobs, bloated tummy and cranky moods. Its weird. I've never had a return of period pain since I had my first baby though thank goodness.

I'm not on the pill as I got fixed after my last baby :clap2: and I've never suffered any sort of gynaecological problem at all.

Oh gosh yes, there are some days I am a snipety little snot. I had to go on BC pills to regulate my period after surgery and yeah, skin looking less than normal and generally, hormone fluctuation city. It's pretty bad when people you work with ask if you are pms'ing. Nuff said. We are here with you, it is supposed to get better as our weight goes down further. I was told that hormones are stored in fat, lose the fat the hormones are released and fun time begins ;)

Oh Gawd yes! My face wasn't this bad when I was 16! and my monthly have been all over the place and anything but!

I was just going to post about this. MAN!! Iv always had light abnormal periods...but..yesterday the cramps started...and then WHAM! like a ton of bricks it hit me. I havent had a period like this since I was younger. Im bleeding like crazy!!!!!! and I actually cried at the cat this morning..LOL...Im only a month out and assume this is kinda normal.

Just an update. I saw my family Dr. today and she put me on a different pill with lower estrogen. She thinks it will get rid of the problem. Apparently losing fat cells releases estrogen somehow. I'm really hoping it works. I count on the bc to help control my Migraines.< /p>

I used BC for many years untill my mom had cancer and went off. Never had any problems. Then when I was 24 the doc wanted me to go on them to regulate my menstral flow as it was wild. OMG, I felt crazy, and Dc switched to lower dose, felt crazier and did things that were completly out of character for me, I was switched again, after 2 months of *morning sickness* I just stopped taking them and told the Dc why. He gave me different pills but buy then I was more regulated...I know I will never take BC pills again...Ewww not a cool prospect that hormones are released when ya lose wieght..LOL I am just CRAZY!!!!

maybe this explains some of the crazy periods that I have had lately. I thouht that it was premenopausal but now, after reading this post, I'm not so sure. My periods and pms are much worse but I have completetly stopped the hot flashes....maybe because fat stores estrogen???? I thought that I was just loosing lard that was making me hot, but the estrogen theory makes more sense. Thanks for this thread!

cindy

I thought I was past the period thing. Last one was in January. Had my band surgery on 6/20 and guess who came to visit the next week!!! I certainly do agree with the hormones stored in fat, etc. It's pretty whacky what our bodies do sometimes.lol

Terry:)