Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded for 10 months, 5 months pregnant and putting all my weight loss back on!

Guest lapband_nikki

Guest lapband_nikki

hi everyone, ive had to reregister because ive forgoten my password as ive not been online for a while,

any way, i was banded on the 4th june 2003, i weighed 267lbs

before banding, the the next 6 months i went down to 232lbs, a weight loss of 35lbs, i looked and felt great!!!

in december i fell pregnant, and i was happy with the news but sad that i knew i was going to put on the weight id worked so hard to lose, i have had 2 fills and now have 4mls in the band, i had my band in england and have been told that my band can hold 8-9 mls of saline, so my band is half filled,

problem is, ive put on all my weight that ive lost and its not just baby weight, my face arms, bum and legs are a lot bigger too, and im really worried that i wont be able to lose weight after ive had the baby, i put 49lbs on with my other two pregnancys before i was babnded and theres no way i want that to happen again!,

i can still eat a good plate full of food before feeling full, but i still drink during meals which i know is wrong,

what i need is some advice, has anyone else been pregnant whilst banded, did you put your weight back on?, did you lose weight?, i need some advice!!, im going mental knowing im going back to the old me, ive lost all of my new confidence, and want to start losing weight again.

I have absolutely no words of wisdom for you, but I'm so sorry that you're gaining weight back. I've never been through pregnancy and I don't even have a band. I'm scheduled for band placement next week. It's my last hope. My husband is very worried that I'll eat through the band, like I'll pop it. I just don't understand how the band works so differently for every single person. My friend lost 60 pounds with her band before needing a fill. Others need a fill a month after surgery. Let's just hope that after your healthy baby is born your band will be more constricting.

Hey Nikki -

Congrats on the upcoming addition to your family!

Having never been pregnant myself, I can't offer any advice/insight into the weight gain of pregnancy, but I can say this for sure - once your baby is born, your band will still be there to help you get the baby weight off.

Your doc may even be willing to give you a slight fill even though you're pregnant if you are able to eat more than you and your baby need to be healthy. But even if not, not to worry! Trust in your band buddy, it will help you once again the day you are only eating for one.

Stay positive and happy, love yourself and your new addition.

Nikki, I'm with Donali. Having a baby is, as you know, a hugely taxing physical feat. Don't worry about a few extra pounds if they are what your body needs to carry and nourish this baby! There will be plenty of time once the baby comes for you to get back on the bandwagon.

Congratulations on the pregnancy, and please don't be hard on yourself!! If it makes you feel any better, there have been studies that support the theory that babies born to moms who count calories too carefully during their pregnancies are more likely to be obese themselves. So don't skimp--nourish that child right! :mad: :(:D

Not 2 worry sweetheart I '2' was banded in april 2005, pregnant by feb. 2006 and deliverd a healthy 9 lb. bouncing baby boy nov. 2006. Here is the good part ; preband weight 288 lbs , prepregnancy (post-band) weight of 223 lbs, delivery weight of 263 lbs and today Im 213 lbs with a goal of 178 lbs (soon I hope). So I lost about 65 lbs got pregnant and gained 40 lbs back and have now lost 50 lbs again but have 35 more to go! So baby the baby was worth it but I wont do it again because now I have a girl and boy. An 11 yr. old and 2 yr. old; so Im done! GOOD LUCK!!:thumbup:

Hi,

I don't post very often but I can sympathize with your situation. I was banded Jan 07 and found out I was pregnant in April 07. (We didn't think it was possible) My preband weight was 220, when I found out I was pregnant my weight was 197. When I delivered I was 230:eek: so over my preband weight.

I wouldn't worry because the band makes it so much easier to loose the baby weight once you deliver. Within 2 months I was back down to my 197 and I am now slowly loosing and am down to 170. I still have about 30 to get to my goal.

I was excited to have only gained 30 lbs. with this baby and I owe it all to the band. My preband babies all loaded me up with 50-80 lbs. (I now have 4 kiddos)

Just enjoy the baby in you (easier said then done, I know) and worry about the weight later. It will come off.

Good Luck and congratulations!

I worry about that too. I was banded Jan 21, 08 and I found out I was pregnant in August 08. I am now 5 mths. pregnant and I have gained 20lbs. I had lost a total of 60lbs. and I am also nervous about gaining it all back. I can eat anything that I want now. I have 3cc. in my band and I don't have any restriction. I have really taken advantage of that and now I am frustrated. I really started trying to eat right and exercise. It is better for me and the baby. Good Luck!

Well, I guess she had the baby already then:tongue_smilie:

I should hope so, lol. That would be one heck of a big baby to still be hauling around.:laugh:

Curious to know OP's outcome! I'm sad right now about the weight I've gained so far (depressed is a good word for it), so I'd like to hear how it all went away..

fairy,

do you mind if I pry and ask how much weight you've gained so far? you're about 14 weeks ahead of me. I am only 10 weeks and up 6 lbs!! AAARGH!! This is frustrating for 3

reasons:

1. I truly am hungry when I am eating...NOT snacking to enjoy pregnancy.

2. My doc is super strict and only wants a 10-15 lbs gain!! How do I tell her I'm 1/3 of the way there?!

3. Exhaustion is still lingering, making it that much harder to exercise...it's getting a bit better, but nothing really helps.