Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do when the urge to eat is very strong even though you are not hungry?

The reason I post this is bc I've found myself a couple of times grabbing a quick snack when I'm not hungry and meal time is about an hour away. A few whole grain crackers here, a slice of cheese there, a piece of deli ham, you get the picture. I know I'm not hungry when I do this and I hear my brain saying not to do it, but yet I do! I'm 2.5 months out, so is it maybe I haven't broken this habit yet? I do miss the full feeling after eating meals (it was a calming feeling to me before) and I wonder if it's some sort of compensation thing happening. I'm averaging 800-1000 calories a day (I count the snacks--at least I'm honest there--lol) and I'm still losing really well, it's just I'm trying to stop bad habits before they become too bad.

A lot of times, I find I'm bored or stressed when I do this. If I'm at work and it's really busy, I can go hours w/out even thinking about food. At home, it's like a comfortable bed, I'm drawn to it, whether I need to eat or not. I've been wondering if I should see a doc about this, but really, what would they do? I'm certain it would be the big pep talk and then the big bill. IDK...I just want to be able to put that needy demon to rest.

I hear ya. I am no where near as far out as you, but I worry so much about falling back into my old habits. I could go all day without even eating Breakfast OR lunch (bad I know) because of being so busy and it wouldn't even phase me. My big problem is night time snacking. I get settled in, watch my TIVO'd shows and mindlessly eat. Just like you said. I have done that sooo long(which is clearly part of my problem with weight), and I hope that during this losing/very restricted phase I learn to control that. I am going to really have to work at it.

I am very afraid of settling into old habits....the night time TV snacking urge is unbeatable....I try to not even watch TV any more. I've read that some overcome this in time, I sure hope I'm one of them.

This isn't a huge problem for me... however, it is there occasionally... what I do is drink Water. I find that helps me not to snack and helps get the fluids in!

Give it a go, especially if you aren't hungry...?

Good luck =]

This isn't a huge problem for me... however, it is there occasionally... what I do is drink Water. I find that helps me not to snack and helps get the fluids in!

Good luck =]

Gonna try that. I need to get more Water in anyway!

Hey Coops! You still going to see Robbie in June?? I'm soooo jealousbiggrin.gif

I also found myself rooting around the refrigerator for something to eat when I was not really hungry and it happened at night. So I adjusted my schedule. I have never been a big fan of breakfast, so now when I get up I have coffee. At lunchtime I have lunch, dinnertime is dinner, and around 8:00-8:30 I have my third meal.

It seems to be working for me, in between dinner and "TV meal" if I feel like a snack I just tell myself that I have to wait until 8:30 because that is mealtime. So I get my three meals in, no Snacks, like the Dr. ordered, they are just spaced a little differently than most people, I guess.

Gonna try that. I need to get more Water in anyway!

Hey Coops! You still going to see Robbie in June?? I'm soooo jealousbiggrin.gif

HELL YEA!!!!

OMG... I can't wait... I am sooooo excited, just like a kid at christmas. Don't think I am gonna get into the size 12 jeans I wanted to show him, but I am sure he will forgive me.

I put a thread up last week - I went to see him solo in 1999 and bought a tee shirt... anyway it didn't fit me then, or for the following years! However, here I sit typing away with Robbie plastered all over the front and back of me... SOOOOO happy!..lol

It is the little things in my life that make me smile! x

HELL YEA!!!!

OMG... I can't wait... I am sooooo excited, just like a kid at christmas. Don't think I am gonna get into the size 12 jeans I wanted to show him, but I am sure he will forgive me.

I put a thread up last week - I went to see him solo in 1999 and bought a tee shirt... anyway it didn't fit me then, or for the following years! However, here I sit typing away with Robbie plastered all over the front and back of me... SOOOOO happy!..lol

It is the little things in my life that make me smile! x

How did I miss that thread?? I must go look it up, now.

So proud of you for fittin' in your Robbie tee shirt. You are just gonna look fab no matter what you wear. I can't wait to hear ALL about it! Wish I was goin!

This is definitely a problem for me! Like coops, I drink something that's not too dense in calories - Water doesn't do much, but I do enjoy tea with milk and Splenda. If that doesn't do it for me, I just try to pick healthier things to munch on - sliced fresh fruit or vegetables are a good option. The key here is not to get carried away with calorie-dense foods, like nuts.

I think Coops is on the right track -- sometimes when we're thirsty, we confuse thirst with hunger -- I do it all the time. (Sometimes I confuse it the other way too! :lol:) I would say if you drink a bottle of Water and you're still "hungry," then have a piece of cheese or some other Protein -- doesn't hurt and will satisfy whatever you need to do with your mouth --

The key is to develop good habits so when you are stressed or reacting emotionally, that you reach for the healthy alternative, right? My current go to food is instant Cappuccino with truvia for sweetener. But it changes -- it used to be mozzarella. I'm sure it will change in the future -- the key is keeping it healthy. :)

These are some great ideas, my problem is not night but afternoons. Between 1 and 3 is my only quiet time, so I usually have lunch, wait and have a cup of tea or coffee, but I struggle. For night I may just plan a snack and have tea to calm my stomach, thats a weight watchers habit I've been doing for years.

Good luck =]

OMG! Nights are the worst. But yes, keeping a glass of bottle of Water at my fingertips seems to help. I am only 4 weeks out but already feel some of my old habits sneaking in. I have always been BAD about not getting enough sleep. I would start working on paperwork for my job at 9pm and be at it until 12:30 or 1:00am in front of the tv. Not only am I sabotaging my much needed rest, I was eating too! Last night I stayed up REAL late watching marathon Mad Max......I was tired, knew I should go to bed. Guess what? I WANTED TO MUNCH!!! I gave in to some pretzel sticks ....not too bad but still felt guilty! So my goal is to get my work done early, and get in bed by 10:30 to 11pm and NO LATE NIGHT SNAKS!