Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ghrelin and memory / learning?

Wow this is depressing - arrggh another side effect too! - seems that ghrelin boosts learning and memory, and something else, but I forget :rolleyes:

Wikipedia: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Ghrelin#Learning_and_memory

I was poking around Wikipedia and found it. I wonder if anyone can report anecdotal evidence? It SEEMS that I am having one hell of a time expressing myself verbally these days and my spelling has gotten atrocious lately too, I see red squiggly lines all over the place when posting and often have to correct dozens of word's spelling. It sees that I am getting a little more stressed out lately too, things really bother me more recently.

Seems like I am now more like Homer Simpson that Homer of the Odyssey. :lol::)B):P;)

I experienced it early out, I called it fuzz brain. But, I can tell you (for me) that it is temporary since Ghrelin is produced in other areas of the body. The fundus of the stomach is just the largest producer. I read other stories on the gastrectomy patients and they reported similar experiences, but also noted that it didn't last forever. Kind of like the whole body temp regulating thing. . . I'm no more cold/hot than my naturally skinny friends. I figure when it's 30 degrees outside, I'm supposed to be cold now instead of sweating because I'm lugging around 140lbs of extra body weight.

You have NO idea how much better this makes me feel!! Truly!! I am an English teacher AND I am a spelling nut -- but lately, I felt like I was having early onset Alzheimer's -- my spelling is not up to par and I keep using Spanish spelling rules (I'm fluent in Spanish) instead of English spelling rules. It's like my brain decided to go on vacation.

I'm waiting for it to come back though, because I'm teaching English starting in August and I don't want to be the English teacher who can't spell worth beans! blink.gif

Thanks, ummm, whatchernames . . . pretty . . . sleeve . . . lady . . . women . . .people, I didn't think I was alone in this.

DOH!

Thankfully, I haven't noticed anything. Still barely scraping by at school, just like I was before the surgery!:lol:

Thanks, ummm, whatchernames . . . pretty . . . sleeve . . . lady . . . women . . .people, I didn't think I was alone in this.

DOH!

I had to laugh out loud on this post. Root, you cracked me up :rolleyes:

I too noticed this, and was started on Ritalin for Adult ADD. But for me, it could just be another side effect of my lupus. Who knows!

:angry:

I thought it was just age catching up with me, but I have noticed a big change since surgery. I started taking ritalyn a month ago, and it has helped. I hope it gets better after a while.

You are too funny!

DOH!

I noticed this watching videos on youtube made by people who have VSG.

They have a lot of trouble articulating.

They stumble over their words, can't remember what they are saying, can't think what they should say.

The effect is obvious so I am surprised nobody picked up on it.

The wiki says something about the ghrelin stimulating nerve growth in the hippocampus.

Since anti-depressants also affect nerve growth it might be possible to counter the lack of ghrelin by taking anti-depressants.

I haven't had VSG yet so I am just observing.

I noticed this watching videos on youtube made by people who have VSG.

They have a lot of trouble articulating.

They stumble over their words, can't remember what they are saying, can't think what they should say.

The effect is obvious so I am surprised nobody picked up on it.

The wiki says something about the ghrelin stimulating nerve growth in the hippocampus.

Since anti-depressants also affect nerve growth it might be possible to counter the lack of ghrelin by taking anti-depressants.

I haven't had VSG yet so I am just observing.

Wow...I had no idea! I haven't noticed anything like this at all, but then I'm only 19 days out, and I'm a long term anti-depressant user. So maybe it won't effect me at all? I hope not, because I'm a freak about spelling, articulation, verbalization and proper use of grammar. (Most of the time! Lol!)

Well, this is depressing. I am just two weeks out, and was feeling foggy and old and like my i.q. had dropped over the past few years. And, I do have adult ADD, but the meds make me so jumpy. Damn. Would like to hear more about this.

Funny thing, when I read that, I was like...HHMM that hasn't happened to me! But when I got to this post, I realized that I have been taking anti-deps since my twins were born 4 1/2 years ago. Maybe that is why I do not have foggy brain. But I do realize that my words stumble A LOT, but hey, I haven't slept in 4 1/2 years either!!!

I have those moments now!! I blame it on post menopause and elder caregiving to my 84 year old mom. Once the body heals and you do your diet, nutrition, and lifestyle changes, I would think this to be a minor symptom.