Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone done half marathon training?

Hi guys!! I'm a month out and my biggest goal is to be able to finish a half marathon. I found out there is one in September, running through Disneyland!!! I am a Disney finatic. This would be a once in a lifetime kind of thing. I don't have the high expectations of running the whole thing, I just want to be able to finish it. Is there enough time to train for it? I'm down to 189 and I used to run( briefly, once upon a time). Can I SAFELY train and be ready for it??

I've done 2 marathons, 1 half-marathon, and too many 10Ks and 5Ks to count. You have six months to train and that's ample time if you start now. Can you run at all? If you can, try running slowly as long as you can, then walk for 2 minutes. Repeat until you have run/walked half an hour. The following week, add five minutes to the total time. Keep adding 10-15% more time to your run/walking each week and try to run more and walk less each week.

If you can't run yet, start the Couch to 5K program. It will get you running 3 miles in six weeks (I think it's six weeks...) and then you can add mileage from there. Also, if you pick up an issue of Runner's World, they usually have training plans for all lengths of races. Good Luck! I'm doing Bay to Breakers (12K) in May!

Thanks foxbins!! I went to the gym today and did walk 2 run 1 for 30 min as it was my first day back at the gym. I'm just under a month out. Is it too early to train? and I'm worried about not getting enough calories right now because my new tummy is so small. I fought to get 700 in there today ( but 81 protein- yay!!)

I'm so glad to know someone else has already conquered this. Thanks again

Good for you! Since you are walk/running for a short period of time right now, you should be fine, and as you gain strength and endurance you can do more. Your body will burn fat for energy so keep calories up about 700-800 so you don't get too tired. Try adding some full-fat foods, yogurt or Peanut Butter, something like that. Have a Protein Shake an hour before your workout. KEEP HYDRATED. You will do great. Post a picture of your medal in September!

I was wondering about this today. I used to run, and post surgery once I lose weight I would like to start again. But my concern is will I be able to get in enough calories and Water down the road to sustain the running habit? I just have this picture in my head that I will be too malnourished and dehydrated to run! How far out were you when you started running Foxbins? Do you feel like you had any of the above issues?

I was wondering about this today. I used to run, and post surgery once I lose weight I would like to start again. But my concern is will I be able to get in enough calories and Water down the road to sustain the running habit? I just have this picture in my head that I will be too malnourished and dehydrated to run! How far out were you when you started running Foxbins? Do you feel like you had any of the above issues?

I have always run--even at 232 lbs I ran...I have been in the "Clydesdale" division ( no, really, that's what they call heavier runners) always, because even at my thinnest (155) I was still heavier than those skinny track runners. Sustaining calories is never a problem--remember what we are NOT supposed to do--drink your calories--on a race day or a long training run (more than 8 miles) I drink Gatorade and slurp something called Goo which is just fancy sugar. For days when I run less I just keep to my normal diet, maybe drink a little more Water if it's hot. Remember that you can strap on a water bottle or two at your waist and in a race there will be water and Gatorade stops. My surgeon said I could run after 3 weeks if I felt good and took it easy. I don't run many long races anymore, I'm 56 and it takes me a long time to recover but I feel great after my shorter runs, it's the only regular exercise I get.

As for malnourished--those skinny Kenyans who keep winning marathons look like they could use a few hearty meals! Generally, the less you weigh, the faster you go because you're not having to move so much weight. Get skinny and go running! Win a few medals and get your race T-shirts in size SMALL!

Hi guys!! I'm a month out and my biggest goal is to be able to finish a half marathon. I found out there is one in September, running through Disneyland!!! I am a Disney finatic. This would be a once in a lifetime kind of thing. I don't have the high expectations of running the whole thing, I just want to be able to finish it. Is there enough time to train for it? I'm down to 189 and I used to run( briefly, once upon a time). Can I SAFELY train and be ready for it??

I had the exact same question and recently had this conversation with my surgeon. I ran my first full marathon (pre-op) at Disneyworld and it was the best thing EVER. I have been a runner for several years, even completed a half marathon 2 months prior to surgery. I am currently 3 mths post-op. I waited about 6 weeks post-op to start running again and as long as I eat something within an hour of running I do OK on a short run. My concern was how to keep my body fueled during the longer runs. When I spoke with my doctor he suggested a few natural foods to try (dates, coconut water) but said that things like Gu or Shot Block are not horrible to take during the run. I say go for it- Disney medals are awesome and the feeling of accomplishment afterwards is so worth the hard work. Good Luck to you

I'm SO sad : (

the Disney half marathon is full! It's all I could think about. On the bright side, there may be a princess half marathon in February, so fingers crossed!!!

I've done 2 marathons, 1 half-marathon, and too many 10Ks and 5Ks to count.

Hey Foxbins,

Do you find it hard to keep hydrated when you run? I'm not sleeved yet and that is one of my worries. I'm a big sweater (not as in wool, as in really wet when I workout) and I'm worried I won't be able to drink enough Fluid to keep me hydrated? What do you do?

"Hey Foxbins,

Do you find it hard to keep hydrated when you run? I'm not sleeved yet and that is one of my worries. I'm a big sweater (not as in wool, as in really wet when I workout) and I'm worried I won't be able to drink enough Fluid to keep me hydrated? What do you do? "

Like I mentioned, I have a waistband that holds 2 20oz Water bottles, and I get thirsty a lot when I run, so 40 oz is good for me for up to eight miles or so. More than that, I plan an out-and-back route from my house and I drive a couple disposable Water bottles to the place I'm going to turn around and drop them off. I run there, pour them in my now-empty plastic bottles on my waist, throw the disposables in the recycle bin, and run back home. Races all have water stops.

I have not run in really hot weather since my surgery, it got to be 70 here one or two days last month which is plenty warm for me to run outside. I didn't have any problems. When it gets really hot in the summer I plan on running in the air-conditioned gym. I have never been a good hot-weather runner.

Thanks for the info Foxbins and Beverly. You are quite impressive Foxbins! Good luck Fern! Keep us updated...good question and very interesting topic.

Ah weird I just saw this. I'm currently training for a half marathon that's coming up in the future.

I started with a C25K program that was awesome, I would recommend using these podcasts. She has good music, and has it all split into weeks so all you have to do is listen and run when she says to.

http://chubbyjones.libsyn.com/category/podcasts

Currently, I'm doing 35 minutes running (about 4 miles) a couple times a week and feel great. Definitely get in your Protein and stretch! I can't believe I'm going to run 13 miles, crazy!

I didn't see anyone mention it, when I looked into the Disney half I found that there is a time limit. You must be able to maintain a 16 minute mile pace or faster. So hopefully someday I will do one. But not anytime soon.

The 16 min mile is not that bad actually. It works out to 3.4 speed on the treadmill ( a quick walk) so you can still jog/ walk it. My aim is to finish. I know I won't be able to jog the whole thing ( tho I'll certainly aim for that).