Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I met a 4-year sleever today

I am a naturally anxious person and you guys, reading all of this has me in such a panic, it makes it seem like there is no hope no point that the sleeeve isn't even going to help and I'll just be fat fat FAT. I need to hear positive words of encouragement, how I'm not going to end up like that 4-year woman.

I'm frightened because it feels like everything has become a slider food; steamed veggies, turkey, tuna, Peanut Butter. So if I want to maintain eating proper sized meals that don't tempt me to overeat, I will have to stay eating cardboard chicken breasts and that's it! In serious panic mode right now ... :o I miss real food, to think that I will have to eat plain dry chicken breasts 3 times a day for the rest of my life makes me want to weep.

I am a naturally anxious person and you guys, reading all of this has me in such a panic, it makes it seem like there is no hope no point that the sleeeve isn't even going to help and I'll just be fat fat FAT. I need to hear positive words of encouragement, how I'm not going to end up like that 4-year woman.

I'm frightened because it feels like everything has become a slider food; steamed veggies, turkey, tuna, Peanut Butter. So if I want to maintain eating proper sized meals that don't tempt me to overeat, I will have to stay eating cardboard chicken breasts and that's it! In serious panic mode right now ... :o I miss real food, to think that I will have to eat plain dry chicken breasts 3 times a day for the rest of my life makes me want to weep.

Globetrotter - Please don't panic. While I think it's important to remember what could happen if we aren't careful, we need to remember that we now have a powerful tool to help us when we are idiots.

We don't know anything about this woman other than what was presented. How big was her sleeve from 4 years ago? Did she have a competent surgeon that removed enough of the stretchy fundus? Does she or did she ever have any restriction? Is she so addicted to food she has no self-control?

I've read your posts & you are mentally prepared to do your part. Do your part and trust in your sleeve to do its part. YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL!

I know how you feel, I feel the same way. It seems when I was researching this surgery I just didn't see any of the bad. I must have just chosen not to because I'm sure it was there. At times I wish I had gone for the DS even though I'm losing quite well.

I think we must always be accountable for what we put in our mouth no matter if you are at goal or not. You don't have to be a slave to your sleeve but making poor choices for a long period of time will eventually come back and bite you. It's easier to snack more or graze for me at 9 months out but this post scared the heck outta me too, No more grazing!

Globetrotter please stay focus and positive. YOU WILL MAKE YOUR GOAL.

At first when I was reading the post I was like OMG,but like Mini said we don't know anything about this woman. Remember the sleeve was the first part of DS and the bougie size was bigger for those sleever. Plus maybe she was 500 pounds before she had surgery and is now 250. Is she still trying to lose or has she given up ???? WE just don't know.

If we do what we are suppose to do, WE WILL LOSE OUR WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Deb B)

The thing that gives me encouragement is that I don't really enjoy the foods I used to. I tried chips once, they didn't taste right and didn't sit well. I avoid bread at all costs, because it causes discomfort, even at seven months. I enjoy the high Protein meals more than anything now. The only non-high protein meal I sometimes let slip in is salads - which, at times, I absolutely crave. That said, it's a good precautionary tale, but also she still has the sleeve to use as a tool - she could probably still lose weight if she tries.

*GULP* Thanks everybody, I'm redeploying right now and it is just extra easy for things to get spun up and blown out of proportion in my mind right now. Plus I'm "behind" in my weight loss by surgeon's timeline so that is added pressure. I'm tired of not succeeding, I want to win!

BTW - this is off topic and I'll post the rest in the Fitness tab, but there was an excellent article in the New York Times about the so-called, "runner's high". How really, it is the cannabinoid receptors in your brain responding to intense effort. This produces a euphoric almost orgasmic sense of calm and satiation. Where did I put my sneakers?!?! :P:D:rolleyes::lol:

*GULP* Thanks everybody, I'm redeploying right now and it is just extra easy for things to get spun up and blown out of proportion in my mind right now. Plus I'm "behind" in my weight loss by surgeon's timeline so that is added pressure. I'm tired of not succeeding, I want to win!

HUGS to you. Thanks for all you do!

I think we must always be accountable for what we put in our mouth no matter if you are at goal or not. You don't have to be a slave to your sleeve but making poor choices for a long period of time will eventually come back and bite you.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself -- remember our sleeve is only a tool -- if we don't use a hammer correctly, we probably won't hammer a nail very effectively -- and the same is true for the sleeve -- we know (or should know) that the sleeve does not do all the work for us -- it is not the miracle cure -- it is only a tool to HELP us get to a healthy weight -- the rest is up to us -- what we put into our mouths, whether we exercise, and whether we take our Vitamins and drink our Water is not dependent on the sleeve :)

OMG! Now, ya'll are scaring ME! I am at goal and have found that "sliders" are easy to eat! A few chips here, a couple of pieces of candy there because of the fact that you cannot eat much at a time.

I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK THERE! So... the obvious is - eat healthy, exercise and watch what we eat.

I don't think denying ourselves completely is the answer since the majority of us would never make it anyway. Moderation has to be key.

OMG! Now, ya'll are scaring ME! I am at goal and have found that "sliders" are easy to eat! A few chips here, a couple of pieces of candy there because of the fact that you cannot eat much at a time.

I DO NOT WANT TO GO BACK THERE! So... the obvious is - eat healthy, exercise and watch what we eat.

I don't think denying ourselves completely is the answer since the majority of us would never make it anyway. Moderation has to be key.

I agree ... moderation is the key to success. I try to eat like a "normal" person with occaisional treats and a glass of wine or two. (Instead of a huge chunk of cake with a large scoop of icecream, 1/2 a pizza, etc.)

I am pre-op still...reading this thread is very discerning to me. I have always had a discipline problem with food. After all, this is why I am at the weight I am. :( I have always started out well on previous attempts to lose weight but then fall by the wayside and gain it all back and them some. I can't imagine going through this surgery and gaining the weight back!!

I am soooo tired of being FAT! I DO NOT want to have to use my stupid C-PAP for sleeping. I am sick of always being tired, joints aching and being hardly able to wipe my #$%! But I am so scared that I will not be strong enough!!

People at work keep ordering fatty sandwiches with chips that tastes amazing (!) but they don't understand why I won't eat it, "just once".They say "gee, your willpower is amazing!".

It's not willpower. Moderation in "bad" food doesn't work for me, and I know this about myself. I'm better to just have none of it, or I want more and more. Plus, I wouldn't have been able to eat even half of it since it's a huge serve, so then I would have brought it home and kept eating it...

I agree that I do not crave crap anymore. I go to Starbucks for my latte each morning and see a shelf full of cakes and donuts and just think "ugh, so much fat and sugar".

I think a lot of it is that I am exercising regularly now, and I want to see the results on the scale! I am almost at 7 mo postop and I know the weight loss will be slowing down soon enough, so I am working even harder to get to goal!

I am pre-op still...reading this thread is very discerning to me. I have always had a discipline problem with food. After all, this is why I am at the weight I am. :( I have always started out well on previous attempts to lose weight but then fall by the wayside and gain it all back and them some. I can't imagine going through this surgery and gaining the weight back!!

I am soooo tired of being FAT! I DO NOT want to have to use my stupid C-PAP for sleeping. I am sick of always being tired, joints aching and being hardly able to wipe my #$%! But I am so scared that I will not be strong enough!!

I hear you. I have been on a few diets that I really thought " I can live like this the rest of my life" but in the end couldn't. I think the sleeve may slow me down though.. And I never liked sodas or milk shakes, so Im hoping this sleeve will slow down the damage of slips enough for me to kick into better eating habits again...before its too late!

Globetrotter please stay focus and positive. YOU WILL MAKE YOUR GOAL.

At first when I was reading the post I was like OMG,but like Mini said we don't know anything about this woman. Remember the sleeve was the first part of DS and the bougie size was bigger for those sleever. Plus maybe she was 500 pounds before she had surgery and is now 250. Is she still trying to lose or has she given up ???? WE just don't know.

If we do what we are suppose to do, WE WILL LOSE OUR WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Deb B)

Well said!