Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long haul flight after surgery

That's a lot different than a long haul flight. I flew back from Australia to the US (~22hrs flight time) 3 weeks postop and that was pushing what my doctor wanted me to do, but I had to get back to work.

They did thrombosis testing to check if I was prone to clots, I took aspirin, wore compression stockings, drank a lot of Water and walked as much as possible. I also travelled business class.

That is really long!!!! I think in the initial question she mentioned 9 hours and there was a suggestion to break the trip in 2 days as I did so she could sleep in a hotel before the next flight. Business class is also a very good suggestion since she would have a more comfortable place and legs up. Thanks

That's a lot different than a long haul flight. I flew back from Australia to the US (~22hrs flight time) 3 weeks postop and that was pushing what my doctor wanted me to do, but I had to get back to work.

They did thrombosis testing to check if I was prone to clots, I took aspirin, wore compression stockings, drank a lot of Water and walked as much as possible. I also travelled business class.

That is really long!!!! I think in the initial question she mentioned 15 hours and there was a suggestion to break the trip in 2 days as I did so she could sleep in a hotel before the next flight. Business class is also a very good suggestion since she would have a more comfortable place and legs up. But by all means it is a long flight. Thanks

Brazcan, the only advice I can give you is that returning to the US through customs usually takes 2 HOURS or more, mostly sitting in traffic in line for the customs check, which is 5-10 minutes. So plan accordingly.

I see you went to Dr. Almanza for your procedure....how was it? I am scheduled for 19 March 2011...YIKES! I am traveling from Qatar so am also concerned about the LONG HAUL flight back but I will spend an additional 5 days post op vs. the 2 prescribed before traveling back. Anything insight you can provide about the doc, procedure, facility, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

Im a newbie here, have been reading for sometime and just wondering what your experiences are with flying afterwards?

Im thinking about going to Mexico (at the moment i am impressed with dr ramos kelly) however the journey home for me would involve a 4 hour flight to chicago then a 15 hour flight back to UAE. Is this a crazy idea?

Whats your experiences?

Thanks a lot,

groove

HI there....well, I guess I'm crazy too because I am coming from Qatar to Mexico for the surgery...My procedure date is 19 March 2011 with Dr. Almanza....I've already talked with the clinic and the patient advocate about this and was told all the things you'll ready here...compression socks, lots of Water, walk around, etc. I was able to get a business class seat so that will help a lot. I tend to sleep a LOT on long haul flights...so will have to make it a point to get up ever couple of hours, etc. Its gonna be interesting.

I opted to spend a couple of extra days in the San Diego area for recouperation and just to be sure things will be OK....My procedure is on the 19th and will fly out on the 25th - hopefully, that will be enough time to gain strength and be ready for the LONG flight back.

I started my pre-op diet today and OMG...3 weeks of this....YIKES...but I'm 'game' and ready for the lifelong change!! Hey, we should form a support group for those of us in the Gulf....LOL Good luck to you!!

I see you went to Dr. Almanza for your procedure....how was it? I am scheduled for 19 March 2011...YIKES! I am traveling from Qatar so am also concerned about the LONG HAUL flight back but I will spend an additional 5 days post op vs. the 2 prescribed before traveling back. Anything insight you can provide about the doc, procedure, facility, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The whole thing went well. I could of waited for insurance but was feeling so miserable and was just getting fatter by the day so I went self pay.

The place is small but nice, the staff is very caring and quick to react to your needs. It WAS noisy though so bring some ear plugs if you want to sleep. The level of care is different from what you may have in your country, it is different from in the United States. It's not better nor worse just different. A lot of the BS that is part of the US care system is bypassed, they just seem to get on with it. And as Forrest Gump said, "That's all I have to say about that."

I was comfortable, well taken care of and pleased with the care. I would do it again if I was faced with the same choices.

Hey,

If you go on to Obesity Help, there is a support group for middle east people. Cant find it at the min :unsure:

Hello there my friend in Abu Dhabi...This is Steve out of Doha. I WAS SLEEVED~last Saturday with Dr. Almanza in Mexico and everything thing has gone smoothly.....I left Mexico on Tuesday but now staying in a hotel in San Diego until I leave tomorrow (Friday) for Doha. Things went very well and I can't believe I feel as good as I do...I thought I would be in a lot more pain. Granted, I slept the two days after surgery but this OLD body is gonna need sleep to recover....LOL The process went so well....I am definitely GLAD I did my homework and 'knew' what to visually expect by the facility because it is definitely not a type of medical facility I've ever been too, basically in a strip mall, which for some was disconcerting....but the care, service, concern and patience was exceptional. Their professionalism was superior and the 'family' atmosphere at the recovery house really was nice and extremely helpful.

Tomorrow I fly back to Doha....a bit concerned but will be taking all of the required precautions for a long haul flight...yes, ideally, I would like to stay for another several days but realistically that isn't possible PLUS I think I'm in good enough shape to do this.

let me know how you're doing in your prep? Take care and I look forward to hearing from you!!

Hi all,

Im a newbie here, have been reading for sometime and just wondering what your experiences are with flying afterwards?

Im thinking about going to Mexico (at the moment i am impressed with dr ramos kelly) however the journey home for me would involve a 4 hour flight to chicago then a 15 hour flight back to UAE. Is this a crazy idea?

Whats your experiences?

Thanks a lot,

groove

Could they give you an extra blood thinner injection or two to take with you, to inject before the flight? That would likely help too?

Hello My name is Michelle but i go by Chella and i am getting ready to go see Dr. Ramos Kelly myself at the florence Hospital in T.J my surgery date is April 14th!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so nervous but have done EXTENSIVE research on this particular surgeon, his staff is great and Sandy Johnston is my patient coordinator she has been Awesome and i did get a chance to speak to Trish and she was just as everyone has said very kind and informative. I am taking my mother with me and hope for the best.

Does anyone out there have any more input on Dr. Kelly???????????

Did you think about getting the surgery done in India??? They have great physicians there and it is not difficult to find a great surgeon who has done hundreds or thousands of these surgeries... Medical Tourism is big thing there!! Good luck!! I'm doing mine in Korea. :) Oh, I looked up the prices in India... the average is around $5,500 US.

There is also good medical tourism for WLS in Belgium and Czech Republic -- there are sleevers here who've gone to both places, and that's at least a bit closer!

ETA: Get extra blood-thinner injections to use before the long-hauls. I have RN friends who routinely do that anyow.

Hi swizzly and starygly,

I did look in to all of your suggestions extensively , however, Dr Kelly in Mexico was the best option for me.

The flight seems to have faded from my worries now actually. I am staying for a week after surgery ,some time in TJ then the rest in San Diego if all goes well, to make sure everything is ok. I have flight socks etc at the ready for the flight back and the Dr will assess the need for blood thinners at the time.

Only 3 days to go!!

Hello my name is Michelle and Yes I am very impressed with Dr. Kelly myself i am scheduled for surgery on the 14th down in T.J i will have a short flight since i will be coming from Sacramento, are you scheduled for surgery with him or still deciding if i can be of any assistance this is a great place for me to do it!

Hello there my friend in Abu Dhabi...This is Steve out of Doha. I WAS SLEEVED~last Saturday with Dr. Almanza in Mexico and everything thing has gone smoothly.....I left Mexico on Tuesday but now staying in a hotel in San Diego until I leave tomorrow (Friday) for Doha. Things went very well and I can't believe I feel as good as I do...I thought I would be in a lot more pain. Granted, I slept the two days after surgery but this OLD body is gonna need sleep to recover....LOL The process went so well....I am definitely GLAD I did my homework and 'knew' what to visually expect by the facility because it is definitely not a type of medical facility I've ever been too, basically in a strip mall, which for some was disconcerting....but the care, service, concern and patience was exceptional. Their professionalism was superior and the 'family' atmosphere at the recovery house really was nice and extremely helpful.

Tomorrow I fly back to Doha....a bit concerned but will be taking all of the required precautions for a long haul flight...yes, ideally, I would like to stay for another several days but realistically that isn't possible PLUS I think I'm in good enough shape to do this.

let me know how you're doing in your prep? Take care and I look forward to hearing from you!!