Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strengh Training...YES OR NO ???

I've heard that you will burn more calories all day if you lift weights, but my calorie device that I wear doesn't indicate that it equals a cardio session. I do have somewhat of an afterburn, but with burning 1.2 calories/minute versus 1-1.1 calories/minute (my resting calorie burn rate), after 6 hours that's only a 72 calorie increase, max. I'll get half of that afterburn increase if I just do interval training. So my goal wouldn't be necessarily to burn as many calories as I do during cardio, it would be to keep as much muscle mass as I can hold onto. Perhaps the 20 minute cardio session before weight training is the way I'll go; then I won't feel like I'm wasting time (even though I know I'm not) during weight training. In the end, holding onto more muscle will probably burn just as many calories as simply doing cardio all the time, plus once I've reached goal weight I'll be able to eat more and have a better shape.

I am not sure of your calculations but somehow you have to figure in that if you do not lift to gain or retain lean muscle that you resting calorie rate will eventually decline.

This is effect can be magnified if you factor in that if you are able to gain lean mass it would go up....so you can double the effect in theory...instead of going down .1 it goes up .1 for a net gain of .2 calories per minute.

I don't know if these numbers are correct but rather the theory behind it I guess is my point. I think we could probably agree that the best thing to do is give in and do both.

:nervous

i have been an athelete all my life. i played football and hockey in high school and football on a scholarship at rutgers. i have been over 300 lbs since i was 17. i got my band three months ago and i am getting my first fill today. i got married a month ago and didnt want restriction at my wedding. anyway to the point. i have not had any restriction since about 3 weeks post op. i have lost 45 pounds. i go to the gym 5 days a week. Here is the trick always do cardio as soon as you get there. if you get lazy and cut something out let it be the weight training. i do 45 min. cardio and 45 min weight training. if you want to lift weights do low weight and high repetition.. i gained 9 pounds of muscle in 2 months of heavy lifting, now i am on the right track.. good luck everyone.

oh and p.s.

think of excercise as part of your everyday schedule. like going to work, or cooking dinner.... not like a chore, you will be more apt to do it because it is just something you do every day, not something you have to

I am a personal trainer although not practicing right now because it is hard to help people when MY body is such a wreck - however, YES YES YES to strength training no matter where you are in your weight loss journey or what your starting size. Keep the cardio but do it last - I was 130lbs and the smallest size 4-6 I've ever been and looked cut and beautiful when I strength trained 4-6x a week.

You will not bulk up unless you plan on lifting VERY HEAVY almost daily and competing - it just won't happen and yes, the scale may not move a lot but boy your body will be smaller and reshaped in ways that will astound you. It is sooo important to strength train esp as we age as it helps with bone density. I suggest two sets of 10-12 reps for each body part going as heavy as you can - you want the last two to be very hard but not so hard you lose form. For beginners start with one set, low weight to get the proper form down (most important) then go heavy but again, not so heavy you lose form, feel pain or cant complete the set. The Firm puts out some good cardio/strength training videos that are hard but have a beginner instructor you can follow as you gain strength. i highly recommend them.

I am a personal trainer although not practicing right now because it is hard to help people when MY body is such a wreck - however, YES YES YES to strength training no matter where you are in your weight loss journey or what your starting size. Keep the cardio but do it last - I was 130lbs and the smallest size 4-6 I've ever been and looked cut and beautiful when I strength trained 4-6x a week.

You will not bulk up unless you plan on lifting VERY HEAVY almost daily and competing - it just won't happen and yes, the scale may not move a lot but boy your body will be smaller and reshaped in ways that will astound you. It is sooo important to strength train esp as we age as it helps with bone density. I suggest two sets of 10-12 reps for each body part going as heavy as you can - you want the last two to be very hard but not so hard you lose form. For beginners start with one set, low weight to get the proper form down (most important) then go heavy but again, not so heavy you lose form, feel pain or cant complete the set. The Firm puts out some good cardio/strength training videos that are hard but have a beginner instructor you can follow as you gain strength. i highly recommend them.

Agreed!

Do 5 min of cardio first just for a warmup only. You aren't supposed to get cardio workouts in prior to weights, only 5 minutes to loosen up the muscles, warm them up and get your calories burning. Then do your weight training, then after training, get your real cardio session in. That's how several personal trainers informed me.

Go low on the weights and up the reps. You won't bulk unless you go heavy on the weights just like she said. Toning up with weight training is how I'm approaching this. I weight train 3 days per week. I do cardio and ab work every single day regardless.

You got it right Mary... this is all I hear every single time Im in the gym.

Girlfriend...YOU"VE got it right - you are truly doing it right - and I applaud you for your consistency and dedication. I'm sure you are feeling/reaping the rewards of your hard work. You've inspired me to be more consistent with my exericise and I won't miss another day of myscheduled workouts. Keep up the good work.

Boy, do I feel like a dumb a$$! Here I have been going to the gym for like 10 weeks and up until 2 weeks ago I was doing cardio and weights... the past 2 weeks I have been doing only cardio!

So, the best thing would be to do treadmill for 5 minutes, weights, then your full cardio workout? I would love to have a personal trainer... but the funds aren't there right now. I am going to try the above because I really need to get this fat off of me!

THANKS!

HeatherGurl,

No need at all to beat yourself up - YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT - hey, just by going to the gym for 10 weeks - come on, that is terrific. Maybe the ideas here will help you make better use of your time BUT anyone who exercises regularly in my book is a hero and an inspiration. That's really the hard part, you know? Take care! mary

WEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

carideo carideo, with light weight will help you burn more calorie's and tighten up your lose skin..........Carideo 4 time's aweek even if it's 15 to thirty minute's a day. free weight's 3 time's a week.

you will TONE up drop weight FASTER.

HeHEHEHEeee

My arms look like the top ones... I would like 'em just fine with all the flappies! The other is a lot more toned than I want.

Thanks for your help guys!

My mom always said this, and I think it is a good place to put it. For people who get frustrated with exercise, or think "i am not strong enough" blah blah.

I am pre-band, and right now my weight is E, for error, so we know I am over 350. Think about how much that is. I weight over 170 lbs more than I should, so I am walking around with an extra 170lbs on my back. I am strong!!!!

Once the band is in place, and my real weight loss starts (now, I am pre-pre-op dieting, so I am losing a little), I will still have all of the muscles from when I carried around that extra person, but if I don't continue to go to the gym, I will lose that muscle. I know I have a toned body, it is just hidden right now.