Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally scheduled for surgery!

I am so excited to finally be scheduled for surgery! My date is Feb 28! WOOHOO!

I have been attending a WLS support group weekly and finished up all my classes in December. Took FOREVER (not really but it sure felt like forever lol) to finally get my mental health eval. Went through an almost 600 question test prior to seeing the psychologist. 2 weeks later I saw the doctor for my in person visit. I was slotted for 90 minutes and was out of there in 15! He basically asked if I had questions and said a few things to make sure I was ready for the changes ahead. The doctor said he would put in my report by the end of the week (my appt was on a Wednesday). I jokingly told him he still had 1 hour and 15 minutes slotted for my appt so he had plenty of time to write up my report ;) Well apparently thats what he did haha.

The group I had been going to all said it would take at least 2 weeks out from that appt before I would be scheduled to meet with a surgeon. The day after my appt, I got a call from surgery asking if I could be there Friday morning. UM YEAH! Of course I would be there :)

I was terrified going into the appt, hoping I would like the doctor since he is not the one I orginally wanted. Well his intern started to scare me a bit. He was suggesting that I might be better off with the RNY. NO WAY did I want that surgery and my family would have flipped if I switched to it anyways. He was going on and on about how I could lose 10% more of my weight, well no thank you, at my weight its not worth the addition risks to lose a few extra lbs.

So he went off to get the doctor, now I had read up on him already, everyone said he was a great surgeon but had a bad bedside manner. What do I care about that though?? All I care is that he knows what hes doing. Well I thought he was great. He is very direct, he doesnt sugar coat things, which is great! I appreciated that he was so straight forward with his expectations of me and what I can expect from him too. He is very conservative in his treatment and repeatedly told me if I have any issues post surgery to make sure to contact him ASAP and not to play the waiting game with anything. He is also putting me on blood thinners for 30 days. Normally he only has patients with my BMI do it while in the hospital and saves the blood thinners at home for patients with a BMI over 50 but because I had issues with clotting in pregnancy with no known cause (all my labs for clotting and autoimmune disorders were fine) he thinks its best to just play it safe and do 30 days worth. I really did like him and felt totally at ease with the surgery once I left my appt.

Most the doctors at the hospital only require a 1-3 day liquid diet pre surgery but he requires 2 weeks sooooo now Im trying to prepare myself for that. Im going to start it on the 15th because there is no way Im starting it on Valentines day lol.

Ive started buying Protein drinks, bought AMP today to try, hoping its not too terrible, especially since its on sale at GNC right now ;)

Anyways, move on over people, I'm ready to join you all on the losers bench :)

Congratulations on your surgery date! It will be here in no time. I had tried quite a few different Protein drinks and wasn't crazy about any of them but then I heard about the Premiere Protein Drinks at costco. Tried them and LOVE them! For anyone who has a costco membership, I highly recommend them! They are premade and contain 30 g of Protein. They come in chocolate and vanilla and cost $24 for 18 premade drinks.< /p>

Good to know, thanks!

Congratulations on getting your date! Good for you sticking to your guns about the VSG surgery. Before you know it, you'll be sleeved and slim!