Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days post op - dull taster and sensitive sniffer

Hello - I am 10 days post op and amazingly excited about the future. I did have my first solid (pureed) food today, a egg with sliver of lf cheese. I noticed food just does not taste like it used too. Good but nothing special. My sense of smells is also very sensitive. Is the dull tastebud syndrome normal and does this go away? What about the sensitive smeller? Thanks, in advance, for the feedback.

I think it comes back as you introduce more foods, kinda like when you have had a bad case of the flu and nothing seems good for a couple weeks. I think all the same things make food good to us are messed up after losing a good portion of our stomachs not to mention all those surgical meds floating around in our bodies.

I am now about 3 months out and I have found that food in general is not big thing like it used to be. Once in a while I will get a taste for something,, like a couple of weeks ago for some reason I wanted fried pickles like no ones business, I had one and was done.

My husband wants to eat out all the time and I have found healthy ways to do it,, LOTS OF chicken. However he always asks me where to go and I really don't care, I have no desire for the old stuff, my only stipulation is that it be a place where I can get something that is not fried.

I can say since I had surgery ( Oct.27th 2010) I have noticed food doesn't have the appeal it use to or the taste, as matter of fact there are foods and spices I use to love an now cant get passed the smell! also my sense of smell was extremely heightened for the first couple months after surgery but now it isn't so bad but put it this way no one can sneak anything passed my sniffer.lol... They say it gets better I am hopping so....Good Luck.

My doc told me that the food would change in taste and your sense of smell would change also. I have been told that anstheisia(Ihope I spelled that right..) would change the taste of things for 6 to 8 weeks out. I really don't know but guess what if it changes the taste of stuff that is really bad for you then it is a plus..The I could do with out it its not special is a good thing.. I cant believe you are 10 days out eating puree foods or soft foods. I have to wait until week #5 to be on soft foods..

I was sleeved on 1/31/11 and so far i havnt had any of that. My MD's did warn about it though and it should pass over time. However, there is the chance that its permanent. However, my gag reflex is really, really sensitive. If i try to recollect having my breathing tube put in i start to gag, or past times ive been sick. I dont know, kinda weird.

Also @ fluffy

I dont know anyone who stays on the puree diet that long. You may want to get a second opinion from a different staff. my schedule goes like this

7 days after operation-puree

day 7-21 soft food

day 21-forever normal food chewed throughly.

Thank you for the response. The meds impacting my sense of taste/smell makes sense. I don't really mind it as I am less interested in food as a result. Yes - 10 days post op and on "pureed" foods ( not solids). So far I have only had egg......not sure what will happen as I add pureed chicken, etc. Are you a sleeve pateint or gastric bypass (this surgery has you on liquids for I think 5-6 weeks).

My doc told me that the food would change in taste and your sense of smell would change also. I have been told that anstheisia(Ihope I spelled that right..) would change the taste of things for 6 to 8 weeks out. I really don't know but guess what if it changes the taste of stuff that is really bad for you then it is a plus..The I could do with out it its not special is a good thing.. I cant believe you are 10 days out eating puree foods or soft foods. I have to wait until week #5 to be on soft foods..

Thanks for taking the time to respond. From the responses I received, at least I know this is somewhat normal. BTW - how the heck do I add by weight tracker. I have the link and created by own but I cannot figure out where to store it in my VSG Talk profile. Thanks, in advance. Debbie

I think it comes back as you introduce more foods, kinda like when you have had a bad case of the flu and nothing seems good for a couple weeks. I think all the same things make food good to us are messed up after losing a good portion of our stomachs not to mention all those surgical meds floating around in our bodies.

I am now about 3 months out and I have found that food in general is not big thing like it used to be. Once in a while I will get a taste for something,, like a couple of weeks ago for some reason I wanted fried pickles like no ones business, I had one and was done.

My husband wants to eat out all the time and I have found healthy ways to do it,, LOTS OF chicken. However he always asks me where to go and I really don't care, I have no desire for the old stuff, my only stipulation is that it be a place where I can get something that is not fried.

Thanks......more confirmation that it is somewhat normal.

I can say since I had surgery ( Oct.27th 2010) I have noticed food doesn't have the appeal it use to or the taste, as matter of fact there are foods and spices I use to love an now cant get passed the smell! also my sense of smell was extremely heightened for the first couple months after surgery but now it isn't so bad but put it this way no one can sneak anything passed my sniffer.lol... They say it gets better I am hopping so....Good Luck.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. From the responses I received, at least I know this is somewhat normal. BTW - how the heck do I add by weight tracker. I have the link and created by own but I cannot figure out where to store it in my VSG Talk profile. Thanks, in advance. Debbie

Debbie,

First click on someone ticker and then you will go to the ticker factory. Set up and save your ticker and it will give you an HTML script to copy and past. Copy that script and then come back here and click on the top of the screen where it says Signed in as Newme52, then choose settings from the drop down menu, from there choose the Profile tab at the top and when in your profile choose "change my signature" from the left side of your screen. Paste your HTML in the signature box and click save.

A word to the wise once you save your ticker in the ticker factory,,, set that page as a favorite or book mark in your browser so you can go back easily and update your ticker. Don't forget to your new password!

OK - I feel like an ignoramus. I pasted the link in the 'signature" section of my profile and it displays the code itself and not the graphic.. Where did I mess up?

OK - I followed the instructions. Let's see if it shows up. Thanks for the assistance.

It does go in the signature section however you should be using the BBCODE not the HTML code. Copy the other one and use that instead and it should be ok.

Thanks Tim. I used the HTML code. I will copy the BBCODE and see where it gets me. Appreciate the help.

It does go in the signature section however you should be using the BBCODE not the HTML code. Copy the other one and use that instead and it should be ok.