Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotional Hunger

Newbie here. I have been researching WLS for a while now and am thinking the Plication is the way to go. However, I'm deeply afraid of the emotional/head hunger that I will probably experience afterwards. I have realized that I'm addicted to food, as much as an alcoholic or drug addict is. So, my fear is that when I get that urge to "binge" or reach for the comfort food in times of stress, since I won't be able to do that after the surgery, I'm afraid I'll have a lot of trouble emotionally with that. Right now if I try to resist it, I actually have episodes of anxiety that just get worse until I give in to the temptation. Have others experienced that and how do you get through it once you've had the surgery? Since there is no turning back once the surgery is done, how does one move forward through those difficult emotional times? Thanks for your input!

Hi FatToPhat,

I too am an emotional eater - or WAS is more like it. I REALLY loved food and snacking and munching was my favorite pastime.

I am in my 8th week post-op and so far my physical appetite has been DECIMATED, I am NEVER hungry. When I eat food tastes good for maybe the first and second bite and often not even the first few bites. I literally have to force myself to finish my meal. Food tastes different in that I can seemingly actually taste it now, the variance in textures and flavors, the spices all seem very distinct to me. A side effect is that most of the "want to" to eat is now gone too, I just draw no joy from eating and I no longer want to. Now this may change as I heal further and get into the final stages of my weight loss and stabilize what my sleeve is doing. If I do start to really desire food I hope that the break I've had during this time of "tastelessness" will help me break with the old habits of emotional eating.

I guess I am one of the "lucky" ones that no longer am an emotional eater. I am never physically hungry and food just isn't a driving force in my life as it used to be. I now eat to survive rather than live to eat.

I think recognizing our own food issues really helps. BUT, with that said, don't think any surgery will prevent you from binging. If your an addict, you'll find a way to eat around your surgery.

I know people say the sleeve "fixed" their issues, but those demons may only lay dormant for X amount of weeks or months. Then, all of it can rear it's ugly head again.

Emotionally, it can be a huge battle, and if you can find a support group and/or therapist to help transition and find other coping mechanisms to deal with your emotional connection with food.

I still never have physical hunger, but that doesn't mean I am without cravings or "want" for food. Sure, during my losing stage it was different. I was so focused on losing and getting in enough Protein, but now I can easily eat 2-3 times more food than what I could at 2-4 months post-op. So, the choice to put the best foods in my body still falls on my brain, and NOT my stomach. I"m further out, and it's easier to eat junk food because that stuff slides right on down without issue.

I didn't really have cravings, or head hunger through my losing stage. I wasn't ever really an emotional or compulsive eater. I just loved food, and still to this day love food. I have found ways to eat around the restriction of the sleeve so it's not as easy as it was early out to make the "best choice".

You will be able to binge on certain foods, and I think that's something that you will have to work on mentally. No amount of restriction keeps me from sucking down a 3000 calorie milkshake. I have to make the conscious decision/choice to NOT pull into the Sonic drive-in and grab a large order of tots and Reese's blast.

I am two weeks out after plication surgery and I feel great. I am 20lbs down from my pre op diet and 10 of that is since surgery. I have lost inches more than weight, as I am down two pant sizes, from a 22 to an 18, but the 18 has to be a womans 18 not a juniors.

I am an addict. I have been clean for almost six years. When I quit, I turned to food. Well I had to eat to get healthy, but then I began eating for the same reasons I was using drugs. The same things triggered my use. I was part of 12 step, church and I spent three years with my therapist focusing on behavior modification. Through all of this "new" life and training on how to be a better me, I kept eating and gaining, knowing better all of the time but not using what I knew.

The greatest gift this surgery has given me, is the ability to use the skills I spent all that time learning. I am not hungry in my stomach, but when an emotional trigger comes, my brain wants that food. Guess what? this "tool" stands up between my head and my stomach and prevents my hand from making it to my mouth with that food.

I feel so great I do not want to turn back. I have not felt the energy that I have since I was a teenager. I don't want to go back to the old habits because this feels so good.

Have the surgery, which ever one you can get, be it the sleeve or plication, just do it. Get some professional help, a group or a private therapist. Because our emotional eating comes from somewhere other than our stomachs.

Good luck and Peace.

Melanie

Newbie here. I have been researching WLS for a while now and am thinking the Plication is the way to go. However, I'm deeply afraid of the emotional/head hunger that I will probably experience afterwards. I have realized that I'm addicted to food, as much as an alcoholic or drug addict is. So, my fear is that when I get that urge to "binge" or reach for the comfort food in times of stress, since I won't be able to do that after the surgery, I'm afraid I'll have a lot of trouble emotionally with that. Right now if I try to resist it, I actually have episodes of anxiety that just get worse until I give in to the temptation. Have others experienced that and how do you get through it once you've had the surgery? Since there is no turning back once the surgery is done, how does one move forward through those difficult emotional times? Thanks for your input!

The whole head hunger thing can happen to you no matter what type surgery you get - and I have the sleeve, so I'll just chime in here quickly.

Do not be overly afraid of this. I have had head hunger many many times, it does win sometimes, but most of the time I'm able to squash it and move on. My stomach can't hold hardly enough food for me to actually worry about it too much. Sometimes I can ignore it and it just goes away, there have been a few times though that my head hunger has won. Those are usually the times I know it's close to "that time" and it's not as easy to just not do it.

Don't let this keep you from doing what you feel in your heart is the best thing for you and will get you to where you have been wanting to be. Slim and healthy!!

Thank you all SO much for responding to my concerns! This is the first time I've actually "reached out" to others regarding this weight loss struggle which I've felt I've dealt with by myself for so long, despite the wonderful listening skills of my amazing husband. Just to have others out there who have travelled this journey along with me and before me and who are there to offer support means more than you know. In addition to that, I DO feel better after reading your responses. I feel like many of my fears are relieved to some extent in that it sounds like the first several months after surgery the cravings and "head hunger" is sometimes diminished, and, if/when they return, they may be easier to control because of months of learning new habits and ways of dealing with my emotions. AND, if I DO succumb to them, the surgery keeps me from overdoing it TOO much, unless I'm going for those wonderful 3,000 calorie Sonic shakes! :) Just hearing that it's O.K. to go ahead with the surgery and I will be able to "survive" those difficult moments makes me feel so much better. I realized this weekend that I have enjoyed YEARS of wonderful, yummy food and succumbing to the pleasures of eating. I've done that, been there. Now it's time to lose the weight, get healthy and have a different kind of life than the unhealthy, fatigued life I've led for the last 20 years. We only have one life. This is so incredibly scary to decide to go through with this surgery and "suffer" the consequences. I'm trying to change my thinking and realize that it's NOT suffering, it's CHOOSING to have a more fulfilling life. Thank you all for your support and congratulations to all of you who have chosen a healthier path as well!

Well, I'm scheduled for my consults on the 16th of this month. They said I could get scheduled for the surgery within a couple of weeks after that, if everything looks ok. I go back and forth EVERY day on whether or not to do this. But! I keep coming back to the same conclusion. That I don't think I can do this without help. And, even if I could lose 50-80 lbs on my own, I would still be obese. Yes, I would be healthier, but I want to be healthy AND be at a more normal weight! Reading everyone's posts on here has really helped a LOT.

Well, I'm scheduled for my consults on the 16th of this month. They said I could get scheduled for the surgery within a couple of weeks after that, if everything looks ok. I go back and forth EVERY day on whether or not to do this. But! I keep coming back to the same conclusion. That I don't think I can do this without help. And, even if I could lose 50-80 lbs on my own, I would still be obese. Yes, I would be healthier, but I want to be healthy AND be at a more normal weight! Reading everyone's posts on here has really helped a LOT.

Once you get the surgery you will have no where to go but down. Keep us posted!!!

I am glad to see this thread. Was going to start one with questions/concerns. Reached goal a few weeks ago and have continued to lose a few more pounds much more slowly. My main concern is this: Eating every 3 hours or so. It seems that I now want to eat smaller but more meals in a day. Still have great restriction and like tiffykins said, have found the things that I can easily slide down. ( like Cheezits!). I REALLY don't think this is head hunger. I figured that one out very early on but get really hungry now much quicker. Any thoughts on this? I sure don't want to have lost only to start gaining again! And yes, you do have to make wise choices. I do not deny myself anything other than the reLly obvious high calorie high fat stuff! Don't eat ice cream, milk shakes anything like that but have been known to eat a 100 calorie bar and like I said, Cheezits,

I know this is old but it is a POWERFUL thread and very relevant to what I am going thru. Thanks to the OP and all that chimed in on it.. Right now, I am searching the internet and the archives trying to get some help for myself. Thanks again to all that contributed.

We're happy to announce the launch of www.SleevePlicationTalk.com ! A new community for pre or post Gastric Sleeve Plication surgery support.