Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie, doc just approved surgery

Sign in to follow this  

Hi there,

My name is Jenn. I just got approved for Gastric Sleeve Plication by the doctor I am planning to go with, Dr. Huacuz in Tijuana Mexico. I am working with World Med Assist. So far I have seen a lot of good stuff about them and the surgery in general sounds like a good option. I have quite a bit to lose. I am 5'0 and currently around 262 lbs and 26 years old. Also I was recently diagnosed with type 2 (though not on any meds.... I couldn't deal with metformin. it actually made me feel much worse). I am hoping to at least get myself down 100 lbs and sustain that loss.

Just thought I would say hello. I am currently waiting to hear back about financing. If I dont get approved for the financing though I am waiting til tax time in 2012 and using my tax return. Hoping that I don't have to wait that long though. Anyone else work with World Med Assist ? They are going to be doing it for $5200 plus my airfare to San Diego (about 300). post-6737-13813656213279_thumb.jpg

That's a pic of me at my current size (im in the purple, the other girl is my best friend :) I look smaller in that pic thanks to my bodice for ren fair squeezing my chub hehe.

I am feeling quite happy since my husband and I decided I should do this. Just hoping financing works out :)

Congratulations to you. Hopefully the financing works out & you can start your new life asap.

From my personal experience, this was the best thing I ever did for myself. I like feeling comfortable in my own skin ... and I am very appreciatitve of my new found health.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Congratulations to you. Hopefully the financing works out & you can start your new life asap.

From my personal experience, this was the best thing I ever did for myself. I like feeling comfortable in my own skin ... and I am very appreciative of my new found health.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Thanks! Congrats on all your success with your surgery and weight loss. I've read people going back and forth regarding which they should get, either VSG or GPS. I think moneywise the GSP makes sense for me and I have come figure out from reading and researching it is more a matter of using the new sleeve to lose and NOT a fix all by itself. I've seen some great success stories for both.

One thing I am a bit sad about is the disapproval of other family members when I brought up surgery...though they had previously suggested the idea and even offered to help pay for it. Oh well this is for me and my decision and I have my husband fully supporting this.

Please Please Please! Do more research on Dr. Huacuz. Jean tried to push him on me but after reading horror stories here, on the Lapband board, and Obesity Help I would never go to him, but you may feel okay with him. I just want you to be informed and not "sold." Price is a factor, I think with World Med Dr. Corvala was about $500 more.

Hi there,

My name is Jenn. I just got approved for Gastric Sleeve Plication by the doctor I am planning to go with, Dr. Huacuz in Tijuana Mexico. I am working with World Med Assist. So far I have seen a lot of good stuff about them and the surgery in general sounds like a good option. I have quite a bit to lose. I am 5'0 and currently around 262 lbs and 26 years old. Also I was recently diagnosed with type 2 (though not on any meds.... I couldn't deal with metformin. it actually made me feel much worse). I am hoping to at least get myself down 100 lbs and sustain that loss.

Just thought I would say hello. I am currently waiting to hear back about financing. If I dont get approved for the financing though I am waiting til tax time in 2012 and using my tax return. Hoping that I don't have to wait that long though. Anyone else work with World Med Assist ? They are going to be doing it for $5200 plus my airfare to San Diego (about 300). post-203783-13813131438517_thumb.jpg

That's a pic of me at my current size (im in the purple, the other girl is my best friend :) I look smaller in that pic thanks to my bodice for ren fair squeezing my chub hehe.

I am feeling quite happy since my husband and I decided I should do this. Just hoping financing works out :)

Please Please Please! Do more research on Dr. Huacuz. Jean tried to push him on me but after reading horror stories here, on the Lapband board, and Obesity Help I would never go to him, but you may feel okay with him. I just want you to be informed and not "sold." Price is a factor, I think with World Med Dr. Corvala was about $500 more.

Thanks for the heads up. I had been researching him and had not found anything alarming. I think out of the several upon several good reviews i found, there was one that was not happy. I will poke around the boards here and the other places you were telling me though.

So i did more poking around and I have to admit i am feeling a lot less comfortable... thinking I may want to reconsider with some of the dr's i have heard rave reviews about on here. Thanks for saying something though. honestly.... i don't want to put my health at risk over this and some of the stories about his surgeries are scary.

I think if ur gonna go to Tijuana the top docs are Dr Corvala (about $7500), Dr Jose Rodriguez (about $6500) and Dr Ariel Ortiz (about 8K). My dr is here in California but he has just started doing plication although he is a very experienced bariatric surgeon.

Good luck to u in whomever u choose.

genepha

Dr. Rod's plication is $5700. I was going with that until I chose to get the sleeve

I think if ur gonna go to Tijuana the top docs are Dr Corvala (about $7500), Dr Jose Rodriguez (about $6500) and Dr Ariel Ortiz (about 8K). My dr is here in California but he has just started doing plication although he is a very experienced bariatric surgeon.

Good luck to u in whomever u choose.

genepha

Anna

Wow that is good to know. I'm having my band removed so I think my prices might be a bit higher. Thanks for the info!

Dr. Rod's plication is $5700. I was going with that until I chose to get the sleeve

wow okay that isnt so bad of an increase for more peace of mind. After i read some of the stuff on obesity help i was nearly in tears. I know Corvala while he has glowing reviews is a couple thousand more and I am not sure i can get financed for that much. i really appreciate your help and advice. I will look up more on dr rod :)

wow okay that isnt so bad of an increase for more peace of mind. After i read some of the stuff on obesity help i was nearly in tears. I know Corvala while he has glowing reviews is a couple thousand more and I am not sure i can get financed for that much. i really appreciate your help and advice. I will look up more on dr rod :)

I just had my plication done yesterday in Mexicali by Dr. Abril. His patient coordinator is Omar Dipp and I NEVER felt like I was being sold this surgery. I have recieved the best of care. This hospital is privately owned by Omar's family, his mother runs the hospital and his uncle is the gastrointestinal Dr. here. The whole package was 5500$ this includes four nights in Mexicali, two in the hospital and two in a hotel, the best hotel. The staff is the most gentle and caring nurses, some speak a little english some not at all and some very well. I never had a problem with communicaton though. Omar is the Director of Tourism for Mexicali and his family has been here forever. Dr Abril and his team are young, in their mid thirties, and they are fresh and well educated. I was a severe worry wort. They call me the FBI patient because I dug and dug and asked all kinds of crazy questions and challenged them all the way to the operating room. I feel so silly for all of that now. I was teasing my doctor tonite that he didn't even do the surgery because I have to pain, only mild discomfort and some vomiting due to the aneshesia, but only right after surgery, NOT any more. Please dig like and FBI agent. Most of all go with who ever makes you feel the most comfortable. I did not like feeling like I was being pushed or "sold" the surgery. I found that with Dr. Rod. Nice, but pushy. Take care and good luck.

I just had my plication done yesterday in Mexicali by Dr. Abril. His patient coordinator is Omar Dipp and I NEVER felt like I was being sold this surgery. I have recieved the best of care. This hospital is privately owned by Omar's family, his mother runs the hospital and his uncle is the gastrointestinal Dr. here. The whole package was 5500$ this includes four nights in Mexicali, two in the hospital and two in a hotel, the best hotel. The staff is the most gentle and caring nurses, some speak a little english some not at all and some very well. I never had a problem with communicaton though. Omar is the Director of Tourism for Mexicali and his family has been here forever. Dr Abril and his team are young, in their mid thirties, and they are fresh and well educated. I was a severe worry wort. They call me the FBI patient because I dug and dug and asked all kinds of crazy questions and challenged them all the way to the operating room. I feel so silly for all of that now. I was teasing my doctor tonite that he didn't even do the surgery because I have to pain, only mild discomfort and some vomiting due to the aneshesia, but only right after surgery, NOT any more. Please dig like and FBI agent. Most of all go with who ever makes you feel the most comfortable. I did not like feeling like I was being pushed or "sold" the surgery. I found that with Dr. Rod. Nice, but pushy. Take care and good luck.

I think after reviewing Dr. Abril's site (which has lots of info on it) as well as seeing your review about the surgery, if I hear back something positive from financing tomorrow I may go ahead and give them a call. At the very least it is def worth checking out. Thanks, really for your input. Im a huge worrier too, so i think even if Dr huacuz does great plications, the fact that other surgeries of his didn't well makes me very uncomfortable and scared about surgery there. I havent contacted dr rod yet but I def get turned off from doing something when i feel pushed.

Tonight went from feeling really sad to feeling like i definitely will have other options though and I really am glad I found this board. I look forward to hearing about your whole journey as you lose.