Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm on puree/mushy....

Is it ok that it kinda hurts after I swallow? Lets say... refried Beans that I blended with salsa to make them softer. Taking small bites, but then a min or so after I swallow there is a mild pain... so I wait awhile before I take the next bite. This goes on the whole time. Takes me almost an hour to eat 1/4 cup... sometimes I even can't finish that.

It does that with those super soft Laughing Cow cheese wedge too. 2 wedges doesn't even equal 1/4 cup...takes me an hour to eat them.... little pains as it's moving down the sleeve or something.

I have not experienced these pains with ricotta cheese...

Is this weird?

I was on liquids for 3 wks post-op, so it seems really early to me for you to be on soft foods. I know all docs have different diets, but if you're having problems, I might suggest going back to liquids for awhile.

I had that issue with pudding at first on full liquids. My doc said it was because the food was too "heavy" for my new stomach, and had me stick with lighter foods for another week.

Go back a food stage. Pain is not normal, and it's typically a sign that your body is just not ready for that consistency. Just because we're released for those foods, it doesn't mean our bodies agree.

I was on clears for 2 weeks, 1 week full liquid, then mushies forever LOL. I stuck to mushies for nearly 3 months because solids took forever to settle with me. I would eat 3 meals a day with mushy food like chicken tuna egg salads, deli meat with cream cheese, and then one meal a day with soft meats.< /p>

I haven't technically gotten to mushies yet, but my doc tells us this:

Eat 3 meals a day. Sit down with your 1/4 cup of yogurt, cottage cheese, whatever, and eat SLOWLY. It should take around 30 minutes to consume it. If you feel full, STOP. Like stop completely, and put it away. Do not eat again until your next meal time. And then continue in between with the Protein supplements to get in enough protein.

HIs point is to learn not to snack, and that there are set mealtimes. You don't need to consume an entire serving of something.

I have been bad and eaten laughing cow cheese. I can get in about 3/4 a wedge and I feel STUFFED. I just throw away the remainder. I am not eating them at mealtime yet, bc I am supposed to be on full liquids for a few more days, but I can tell it will be interesting on Tuesday when I switch!

Go back a food stage. Pain is not normal, and it's typically a sign that your body is just not ready for that consistency. Just because we're released for those foods, it doesn't mean our bodies agree.

I was on clears for 2 weeks, 1 week full liquid, then mushies forever LOL. I stuck to mushies for nearly 3 months because solids took forever to settle with me. I would eat 3 meals a day with mushy food like chicken tuna egg salads, deli meat with cream cheese, and then one meal a day with soft meats.< /p>

Deli meat is considered mushy? I guess that mushy would be what our doc calls "soft diet"? Right now I was trying purees..which is supposed to be consistency of like applesauce, yogurt, pudding, etc...

Deli meat is considered mushy? I guess that mushy would be what our doc calls "soft diet"? Right now I was trying purees..which is supposed to be consistency of like applesauce, yogurt, pudding, etc...

puddings, yogurt, cottage cheese were all considered full liquids on my program. Mushies/purees/soft foods were all the same. Deli meat can be chewed to nothing so it wasn't stringy or dense like a chicken breast.

puddings, yogurt, cottage cheese were all considered full liquids on my program. Mushies/purees/soft foods were all the same. Deli meat can be chewed to nothing so it wasn't stringy or dense like a chicken breast.

So what would you consider the soft refried Beans I made (blended with salsa liquid)... or the laughing cow cheese (mashed up with a little salsa liquid)...?

I considered those puree consistency..but yet they still hurt a little shifting around in my tummy. It's so weird how all docs have different diets. I wish there was just a general diet for all Sleeves worldwide. LOL

So what would you consider the soft refried Beans I made (blended with salsa liquid)... or the laughing cow cheese (mashed up with a little salsa liquid)...?

I considered those puree consistency..but yet they still hurt a little shifting around in my tummy. It's so weird how all docs have different diets. I wish there was just a general diet for all Sleeves worldwide. LOL

Beans were considered mushy/puree for my stages. Some days things worked, and other days they didn't. Like scrambled eggs, most people love them, but they set like a brick in my stomach even at 19 months out. So, everyone is different, and even some different brands settle different for me. For example, the Wolf Brand chili with beans do not work as well for me as my homemade chili. I'm not sure why, but my chili is super thick, chunky, but for some reason the canned chili just doesn't "feel" as good as mine.

Same goes for mashed potatoes. Logan's steakhouse mashed potatoes hit my stomach and it's uncomfortable, but mashed potatoes at chili's are fine. I don't know why, but it happens.

If something doesn't feel good today, try it in a week and see how it feels. Take out the cheese or salsa and see if that works. It's a lot of trial and error in the beginning.

Thanks Tiff!

Beans were considered mushy/puree for my stages. Some days things worked, and other days they didn't. Like scrambled eggs, most people love them, but they set like a brick in my stomach even at 19 months out. So, everyone is different, and even some different brands settle different for me. For example, the Wolf Brand chili with Beans do not work as well for me as my homemade chili. I'm not sure why, but my chili is super thick, chunky, but for some reason the canned chili just doesn't "feel" as good as mine.

Same goes for mashed potatoes. Logan's steakhouse mashed potatoes hit my stomach and it's uncomfortable, but mashed potatoes at chili's are fine. I don't know why, but it happens.

If something doesn't feel good today, try it in a week and see how it feels. Take out the cheese or salsa and see if that works. It's a lot of trial and error in the beginning.