Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"You're losing too much too fast!"

Funny thing is, I think my tastes may have changed! chocolate is wayyyy to intense for me now, and I crave vanilla instead. That is a shocker!

Anybody else have their entire taste pallate shift after surgery?

Cinderella

Yes, my taste changed big time post-op. BUT, they did return to normal around 4-5 months out. I hated anything sweet, and really fell in love with savory, full flavored things. Creole and Cajun seasoning became my favorite seasonings because sweet stuff was just horrible to my taste buds.

I heard this a lot, got negative comments from my family (mom and brothers), and I just told them, funny thing is you never said anything when I was packing on the pounds. I did lose super quickly, and people that were genuinely concerned addressed it privately and in a non-threatening manner. Those that were just being douchebags were mean, and uncaring about how their words affected me. I never let it change how I chose to lose nor did I ever let their words really get to me. I'm pretty blunt and outspoken so when craptastic comments came spewing from their mouth, I was always quick-witted towards them and shut them up fairly fast.

Well, I'm only 4 days out from sugery, and I am definitely losing fast... but that's what I wanted. It is a little disconcerting... I have worked months and MONTHS to loose this much weight, and now it all m elts off in a matter of days. Let's see... on Nov. 30, I weighte in at 200.1, and began my liquid 3-day diet. On surgery day, I weighted 217, so I did lose 3 pounds on that diet. Now, a full 3 days post-opm I just weighted myself, and I am down 10 pounds!!! All of the sudden, I weight 207.4.

It's OK with my doctor, so it's OIK with me, and I have no doubt that this will slow down once I began to eat a little more... but honestly, I am so NOT hungry. Tried to eat my 1/4-cup of tuna salad puree for lunch and could only eat half of it... it was like UGH, this is disgustting. So I went to the store and got some spinach souffles, and frozen mashed butternut squash and stuff that is more appealing.

I also picked up an advocado... I think I coulid mash taht up real good and eat some Ilove advocados.

Funny thing is, I think my tastes may have changed! chocolate is wayyyy to intense for me now, and I crave vanilla instead. That is a shocker!

Anybody else have their entire taste pallate shift after surgery?

Cinderella

4 days out and your eating tuna, spinach souffles, and frozen mashed butternut squash ? Does your Dr. say this is ok? I have heard that the fibers in food can get stuck in your staples, and overfilling can actually pull them out early on... Usually at 4 days out we can only drink our food, Protein liquids and Clear Liquids.....

4 days out and your eating tuna, spinach souffles, and frozen mashed butternut squash ? Does your Dr. say this is ok? I have heard that the fibers in food can get stuck in your staples, and overfilling can actually pull them out early on... Usually at 4 days out we can only drink our food, Protein liquids and clear liquids.....

Yes, my doctor is pretty liberal in our program. We have to be able to tolerate mushies before we even leave the hospital - oatmeal.

But for the first three weeks after surgery, we eat mushies, and those include pureeed food, things like cottage cheese, pureed tuna or chicken salad, mashed potatoes, things like that.

After three weeks, we start adding regular food back in. Stuff like really thin sliced chcken or turkey, soft cooked vegetables, etc.

So far so good.. .but I'll lay off the spinach souffles for a few weeks, LOL.. Pop them back in the freezer.

Thanks for the tips!

Cindrella

Hi Julie

Here's your well deserved compliment. I looked at your youtube and you can clearly see your weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Cheryl

wow.... thats awesome.... i wish i was in your shoes.... my problem is im not losing that much... today is my 2month anniversary surgery date, and ive lost 30lbs.... thats it.... so i am discouraged.... can you please give me a sample menu of what your eating so i can see if it works for me....

i was pretty much eating what i wanted.. like as if on weight watchers, this surgery automatically gave me my portion control....however, i just quit eating carbs, just veggies, and some red grapes since friday and ive lost again... i was at a stall for the last 2wks....anyway, anything you can do to help me, id appreciate....congrats on your rapid weigtloss...that is awesome....i need to lose 3.7lbs a week to get to my goal weight by my daughters 18th bday in July 2011...

ttys, Marisa

Okay...

I've been dealing with this statement a lot lately. Not from my husband (TG!!) but pretty much everyone else. If it weren't for DH I think I'd have lost it by now. He celebrates all of it with me.

Here's the thing, I really don't think I'm losing all that fast. My weekly average is about 3.7 Lbs per week. I know I calculate it up... LOL This isn't even coming from the folks who DON'T know I've had WLS. Everyone that doesn't know is happy for me... saying I look good, etc.

But everyone that DOES know is asking me trepiditiously... "How are you???" With concern on their face, not joy. "You're losing way too fast, I'm worried about you"... "Try not to lose so fast, you're gonna get sick" or whatever. I know this isn't true! I take my Vitamins and eat super healthy. I'm not going to get sick!

I seriously don't think it's jealousy either. It's true genuine concern.

Anyway, this is kinda a bit of a rant. It's starting to annoy me a little bit. I don't show it because I know they mean well. I just tell them kindly that I'm fine and taking good care of myself. However...

Is anyone else experiencing this? How did you handle it?

:(

I've lost 40lbs in 10 weeks. I told everyone I was sleeved. My co-workers tell me all the time how much they notice it. My family is different because my Dad died of anorexia so they are afraid to tell me I look good cause they dont want me to stop eating like he did. I do use "my doctor says everything looks great" when I get the concerned "Don't get to skinny". I also don't think people are trying to be rude, just caring.

I think because are always told to lose only 1-2 pounds a weeks from Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, books ect.

Everyone is thinks oh you should lose it slow and if you lose fast it's unhealthy. All the WL programs out there want you to lose slow, the longer you take the more money they make!

I heard this a lot, got negative comments from my family (mom and brothers), and I just told them, funny thing is you never said anything when I was packing on the pounds. I did lose super quickly, and people that were genuinely concerned addressed it privately and in a non-threatening manner. Those that were just being douchebags were mean, and uncaring about how their words affected me. I never let it change how I chose to lose nor did I ever let their words really get to me. I'm pretty blunt and outspoken so when craptastic comments came spewing from their mouth, I was always quick-witted towards them and shut them up fairly fast.

Well Tiffy, if we aren't two peas in a pod then! I'm very direct as well! I only hope to have the need to ever hear that I'm losing too quickly!!!