Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Doomed To Fail w. Band?

Meow, your too funny! You get me, don't you??? *wink*

Thank you all to the encouragement, I have been so despondent and sleeping too much and just hating on myself. I needed to hear EvErYtHiNg you all had to say, the good, the bad and the ugly!

And I found the smileys!!!! :) GAWD I am so tarded sometimes!!! Have I mentioned I am puter illiterate??? AWWWW I gotta bounce i am late for school:target: Hasta luego!

I was the queen of carbs and haven't had a piece of bread in almost 19 months (or Pasta, or pizza). You won't eat it, either. It turns into a big, painful ball in the middle of your chest, once you achieve good restriction.

I have lost 98 pounds and I'm an old lady (56 when I was banded). You will do great.

Here's what I look like now...

post-204296-13813133578919_thumb.jpg

Aw, what a cool pic, Carlene.

You two are a handsome couple - you kids better stay out of trouble! :-)

Original Poster:

Sure you can do it.

There are success stories all over this forum and the web. Heck, I'm not far from success apparently - though we're not sure what my start weight is going to be, LOL. But if I lost another 12#-14# I'd be at/near my surgeon's goal... I think 20# more pounds might really take me there, but I'll try to keep it going as long as my body agrees.

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

Well BeecheeGirl,

I agree with so many here but I do beg a difference in one post were it said the band is a friendly reminder, I think not. There is nothing friendly about slime and BPing, it's tough and after a few of those you will get yourself together or possibly lose your band. This is tough love so don't take it the wrong way.

I though I had it all together and would be one of those who wouldn't need a fill cause of my discipline, well it wasn't discipline that got me to 283lbs, it was being out of control. Because of my height (5"11), I always thought I could get away with it but boy was I fooling myself. I have had enough slime and BPing sessions because of not being in control that now I really watch everything and even the times I put food in my mouth. This band has been a love/hate relationship cause there has been times when I wanted to eat so bad but couldn't and I just wanted to cry. But now as I sit and think back, I am happy for each lesson learned.

I say that to say, you will succeed, the band will help you to do that. It takes a lot to not be successful and your doubts are normal. I think we all have been there and experienced that, be good to yourself and take it easy. Everything will flow, just wait and see.

Beacheegirl... we should talk. I am being banded on Wednesday. I have been a bad girl. I have had 4 good days or pre op diet and 5 terrible days. I too smoke and my doctor does not care. It is post op that you shoul cut down on the smoking for healing purposes. Also, if you are diabetic... The incisions are small and smoking a few cigarettes won't hurt... Come on... I am a RN. I know the lies. I smoke but would like to quit after surgery. from what I am reading here about 50% of doctors don't even require a pre band diet. That is what made it hard for me. I knew that it probably would be okay to cheat. ie... I am a nurse... but girl, what you do pre op and what happens post op are 2 different things....... You will have help....the band will help you to be accountable. You will eat less, you will lose weight.. I felt like I wrote your thread. I have been having those same concerns. You will go GREAT!!!! I am off to a buffet breakfast... just kidding.

Give you the moon:

Your encouragement and advice to Beachee was the most moving, loving, empathic message I've ever seen posted! Your support really jumped off the page. I think I'll save your encouraging note, so that I can read it to myself after my 6/22 surgery.

Beacheegirl... we should talk. I am being banded on Wednesday. I have been a bad girl. I have had 4 good days or pre op diet and 5 terrible days. I too smoke and my doctor does not care. It is post op that you shoul cut down on the smoking for healing purposes. Also, if you are diabetic... The incisions are small and smoking a few cigarettes won't hurt... Come on... I am a RN. I know the lies. I smoke but would like to quit after surgery. from what I am reading here about 50% of doctors don't even require a pre band diet. That is what made it hard for me. I knew that it probably would be okay to cheat. ie... I am a nurse... but girl, what you do pre op and what happens post op are 2 different things....... You will have help....the band will help you to be accountable. You will eat less, you will lose weight.. I felt like I wrote your thread. I have been having those same concerns. You will go GREAT!!!! I am off to a buffet breakfast... just kidding.

Thanks girl, guess what???? I have not had a cigarette since I F#@#$# up when I wrote that post. I officially quite 7 days ago but I slipped that day and now I feel sooo goood. I still want one, I won't lie. I also finally threw out all my bad food and bought all that sugar-free, broth and stuff and am doing well = keep me posted on how surgery goes for you.

You know beacheeGirl, what finally allowed me to quit once and for all back in 1990, was my A$$hole ex-husband saying I couldn't do it!! But what kept me quit, was realizing that with the health issues, and the cost (which is nothing compared to now!!) if I started back, I would eventually have to quit again...and that meant living through the first 3-4 days without a cigarette again, and that was HELL. So pick someone you don't like who smokes, and show them!!!!

As for the band, depending on how much weight you have to lose, and your morbidities, different Dr.'s require different diets, and some none at all. Mine did not require a strict one, I was told lean Protein and little to no fat, for a week. By the 2nd day, I was noticing weight loss, and that encouraged me. I tried, but screwed up a time or 2...to be honest! I had my surgery, and for a good 2 weeks, I had zero hunger, so that helped me get a good start. I lost really well for about a month, then we got some bad news concerning my DH's health, and the stress hit hard, and I slipped, I bounced the same 3 pounds off and on, but it still felt like I had control! I can't remember when I felt in control of my eating! I had my first fill yesterday, and am on liquids through today, and have high hopes of getting back on the weight loss wagon!!! If we all had the control to follow the diet to the letter, and never make bad choices for ourselves, we would not have ended up here needing the band. I have not had a PB, I am sure my time will come. I have had the golfball, from eating too fast, and too big of bites, it was very unpleasant!! But I learned, and I find the eating style becoming more habit now than something I think about. I have not found anything yet I cannot eat. I don't eat some things, and have cut others way back, but motly my difference has been in portion size. It has lessened drastically! But it takes me longer to eat the small amounts, and I haven't felt deprived. I hope you find a place you feel comfortable with as you head into this. Maybe you should do one step at a time. If all of us can do this, so can you....

Kat

Give you the moon:

Your encouragement and advice to Beachee was the most moving, loving, empathic message I've ever seen posted! Your support really jumped off the page. I think I'll save your encouraging note, so that I can read it to myself after my 6/22 surgery.

Hey divanita2006! Big huge congrats on your upcoming surgery!! You are about to go down a wild ride! I'm here pulling for you too!

I believe in you!!! :) Remember that as you are taking those steps into the operating room.....you believe in you and *I* believe in you!!

Now go on out there and move mountains!! :)

Hi Beachee Girl,

First I would like to say that you are trying to do too many things at one time. Trying to quit smoking and starting a diet do not go hand in hand. I smoked between a 10-20 cigarettes a day for 24 years and quit 2 years AFTER I got a lapband.My doc did not require I quit for surgery and I didnt. However, I had plastic surgery last year and had a doc who insisted or he wouldnt operate.

You will not fail. Without my band, I would never have been able to lose the weight I did. Its a tool, but if you work with it you will succeeed!!

Good luck and stay positive!!!

Babs in TX

334/180 ish

-150 ish

I can't help with the smoking thing... however I hit my two year banding on the 13th of this month. I have lost 100 + lbs and it has been a great journey. I have only had two fills and prob could be at goal had I choosen to get more... but I wanted to work on part of this myself. I wanted to feel like I could enjoy my life and not feel as if I was dieting. I excercise and def. don't eat like I used to. But I never had a pre op diet. I ate a huge steak meal before I went into surgery the next day. Then "Jamie" my band Helped with the rest. I lost weight quickly at first. Then I did my best to forget it. Just remind myself I did not get to 300 lbs in a year so I was not going to loose the weight in a year and enjoy life. I fianlly have broken the 200 mark. It has taken two years.... but they have gone quickly and I have loved living in the mean time. I have another 30 more to go but why would I stop living to help my body do something quicker that it is doing naturally by itself. I know I will get to goal... So will you!

post-204020-13813133584832_thumb.jpg

I can't help with the smoking thing... however I hit my two year banding on the 13th of this month. I have lost 100 + lbs and it has been a great journey. I have only had two fills and prob could be at goal had I choosen to get more... but I wanted to work on part of this myself. I wanted to feel like I could enjoy my life and not feel as if I was dieting. I excercise and def. don't eat like I used to. But I never had a pre op diet. I ate a huge steak meal before I went into surgery the next day. Then "Jamie" my band Helped with the rest. I lost weight quickly at first. Then I did my best to forget it. Just remind myself I did not get to 300 lbs in a year so I was not going to loose the weight in a year and enjoy life. I fianlly have broken the 200 mark. It has taken two years.... but they have gone quickly and I have loved living in the mean time. I have another 30 more to go but why would I stop living to help my body do something quicker that it is doing naturally by itself. I know I will get to goal... So will you!

Hi Rica,

You look great, you are an inspiration to me, so I hope Beechee Girl get's just where you are coming from cause I have!

i keep reading how people can't eat bread or Pasta or rice...i have 2.5cc in a 4cc band and i can still eat bread and rice ...pasta is a no go...it doesn't hurt as long as i chew it well.....do you think i might not be as restricted as i could be?

Yes...but that doesn't mean you need a fill. If you are losing steadily - 1 -2 pounds per week - you don't need a fill. Count your blessings if you are still losing AND eating bread. I LOVE bread, but I can't eat it. I wish I could....no, I'm glad I can't...no, I really wish I could...no, I don't want to eat bread again. Can't make up my mind...