Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

oh for the love of god...i need a former smoker.

brandynd
Sign in to follow this  

So, I'm under 2 months from my scheduled surgery date and I opted to quit smoking. I want to scream at EVERYONE. Looking for a mentor who's been through this and lived to tell the tale....I feel like I'm losing it. Definitely turning into a withdrawal monster. Please help...not getting much support from friends at home.

Brandy

How long has it been since you quit? Are you taking a nicotine replacement? The first 3 weeks are the hardest. I chose to quit cold turkey. I got jolly rancher suckers to help with the needing to smoke. I have had friends quit recently with the e cigs. Blu cig or green smoke. Try changing your normal routine if when you would normally smoke. I fond doodling while talking on the phone to help. The car was my hardest battle. That's when I chewed on suckers.

47 hours in and I would kill for a cigarette...quit cold turkey and in the past 2 days I've crocheted 3 scarves in an attempt to keep myslef busy. I crochert at work; at home, on the stationary bike, everywhere....all its doing is making me hate to crochet even more. Feel like I'm 22 going on 70. All of my friends are telling me I can't do it, and are totally against the surgery and ibthink I might lose it.

I quit cold turkey also. If your not ready to quit and I mean R-E-A-D-Y then you won't. I haven't had a smoke June of 2009 and I still have cravings. Some days are worse than others but I don't give in. It is the hardest thing you will ever do but you won't be successful until YOU really want to quit.

Good luck! I totally understand your frustrations. I smoked for 17 years.

I quit 2 years ago with Chantix. Even with the meds, it is very hard. However, they did help immensely. Think I ended up taking it for less than a month. Best of luck to you!

I quit April of last year and I couldn't be happier now!! It was hard in the begining but the biggest thing I did was chew gum and change my routines!!! I would sit outside at night and smoke and talk to the neighbor and when she moved, that was a quit time so that I wouldn't be tempted! I also smoked at work so instead of going out to smoke, I would walk down the hallway the oppsite was from the door to outside! And I won't lie, I ate :( BIG part of the reason why I'm here having surgery because I always turn to food :(

Hey everyone....

So, I made it through the night without any smokes...which is a big deal for me since one of my girl friends insisted I go out for a couple of drinks after I got off work at 11; and we ALL know that smoking goes so well with drinks! But, I managed to not smoke, even though by the time I was a few beers in I REALLY REALLY wanted to.

Anyways, what else? Oh....woke up this morning (and please stop reading now if you're at all easily grossed out) had that gross mucusy cough crap. God I hope that goes away soon. I hate the....I wouldn't call it difficulty breathing, but definitely a weird feeling in my lung area whenever I breathe deeply. I'm hoping that both of those will subside within a couple of weeks, or if nothing else, at least improve.

This journey has already been just such a rough one for me, but my little theory that I'm working right now is that if I can quit smoking and do it successfully, then I can do anything. I can work my sleeve if I can quit smoking...because I know this is the toughest thing I will ever do FOR myself. I'm not sure if that makes sense or if it just sounds like drivel. Still tired, didn't sleep well last night because of the super fun nicotene withdrawal.

On the bright side, I'm actually starting to crave crappy food less. Not sure if that's due to the nicotene starting to clear out of my system or if I'm just starting to subconsciously prepare for the surgery. But, in any case, I lost 4 pounds this week which is AWESOME! Not too bad for a holiday week if you ask me...

Anyways, if there's anybody else who's trying to/has quit, please feel free to message me or text/whatever... I'd love to talk with you.

So....there's my day 3 update. Overall a rouch one, but pretty productive as well. I finished crocheting another scarf. Feel like I'm getting carpal tunnel. The end.

<3,

B.

I'm doing it!!!! Almost a month since my last cigarette and I'm actually LOSING weight? What??? Had to bump my surgery date back to February 25, but you know what? Right now I could care less, because I am ROCKING my pre-surgery lifestyle changes! Thanks for all the support, love you ladies!

I'm so proud of you and the changes you've made....You're REALLY ready for the sleeve, and I know that with your dedication, you'll ROCK that too! Keep up the good work....

I quit cold turkey on the day I decided to start this journey: 16 October 2010. It was less hard than I thought it would be, because I never really told myself that I had quit. I just kept putting off having a smoke. I quit smoking in my house after I had a kitchen renovation a year ago, so that made things a little easier, as well. but, I keep a pack in my kitchen drawer and know that one day if I want one, they will be there. But the longer I go without one, the easier it is.

what worries me is that when I am on vacation abroad this summer, where I used to live with friends who ALL smoke, it will be hard to resist. I associate so much fun and good times with food, wine and cigarettes (we are talking Italy...) that I feel like I will not be able to partake in ANY of it while I am there.

At least I have time to figure that out!

Keep the faith!

Congrats on successfully quitting! I don't think I could have a pack just sitting in my house....I don't trust myself. I am sad to say that Christmas week was a BAD week for this girl. I definitely smoked a cigarette on Christmas Eve, and I had half of a cigarette on Christmas, followed by two the day after :(. Feeling pretty guilty, but I'm not going to beat myself up about. Just going to hop back on the wagon and quit again!