Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone from indiana?

Hey...glad to hear everything went well! I'm doing good...anxiously awaiting my appointment with my surgeon on Tuesday to get everything checked up :)

Hopefully he'll release me next Friday to start pureed foods....lol

Hi, This is the first time I have posted on this message board. I am from Northwest Indiana and am having my sugery with Dr. Stanish in Merrillville. I have been reading the posts for about 2 months now and see that a few of you had your surgery done by him. Could someone please answer a few questions. I have done all the pre op appointments and tests (upper gi, bloodwork, chest x-ray ect) insurance has been approved and I have an appointment with Dr Stanish on Oct 10th. Will that be the day (or next day) that I start my 14 day liquid diet? or does it take a while after that visit for them to schedule the surgery? Also I had to see him (for insurance purposes) about 6 weeks ago and they weighed me and since then I have been kinda going through the last supper syndrome were I have eaten things I haven't eaten in years. I probably put on a few lbs since i got approved for the surgery, does he frown upon this? Should i just start a liquid diet right now to see if I can lose any weight that I have gained. I also kinda planned a early Thanksgiving dinner for my family (next Sunday) since I don't think I will be up to having Thanksgiving if I am only a few weeks out of surgery. My kids are grown and have inlaws that they can have dinner with on the 22nd and I did not want to miss out on cooking for my family. I am really excited about this procedure. I really didn't have to go through the 6 month diet since I had 11 months worth of weight watchers records to turn in from 4/06 to 3/07 (lost 43lbs and already gained 23 back) and my insurance accepted that thank God. So if someone could answer those questions about Dr. Stanish I would really appreciate it. I don't want him to be mad at me before I even get started. This is a really great board and hope to start posting regularly. Also I just want to know in general if most of you are happy with your band and are you glad you had the surgery and would you do it again? Thanks for taking the time to answer a newbie!!

:glasses

Eileen

I would call the doctors office and see what his surgery schedule is looking like and ask them if they can put you on it. Then I would also ask about when your pre-op diet is to start? The reason for the liquid clear diet is to help reduce the size of the liver and to help ensure that you will loose weight. I was banded on 9/19/07 and I only had to do it for 3 days before surgery and then on any type of liquids for about a week after surgery. Keep in mind that every doctor is differant. The one thing that I will remind you to do is to make sure you follow what he has and also to ask him all the questions you have. If you feel that you need to start making a list. Our doctor really likes are list when we come in to see him. I will be two weeks on Wednesday and my wife will be 3 weeks. She has here first fill on the 15th. I hope that this helps you out.

Chris

I started Clear Liquids about 4 days before my last appointment with Stanish, because I wanted an earlier surgery date. He's usually booking surgeries 2 weeks out...

It can't hurt you to start early...will only take you THAT much further!! ;)

If you need anything else, let us know!! Good luck!!

Kimmie, did you do a clear liquid diet for the whole 2 weeks? The packet I got just said liquids for 12 days and the last two days was clear liquids. Could you clarify that for me, I don't want to screw this up. I think I will start my liquids on Monday the 8th and my appointment is the 10th, so at least I will be two days ahead.

Eileen

It is true that all Dr.s are different. My doctor had me do a two week clear diet before the surgery. It was not hard until the very last day and then I was hungry for everything. Didn't do it but was hard. Then I was on clear diet for the next two weeks after and then soft foods for another 1-2 weeks. Hope all goes well and you have a easy time. Yes I am glad I had it done and my was done in Indy on 8-8-07. Down 34 lbs. now.

The two weeks before are regular liquids...SF everything plus your Protein Drinks. The clear liquids is only two days before surgery...then of course surgery day (after surgery) you'll be on clear liquids...then the next day you advance back to regular full liquids for two weeks...then pureed/mushies. Then eventually back to regular foods. I'm in the pureed stage...but I still do liquids as well.

Well the wife and I both had are first fills today. It took about 15 minutes for each of us. I got 1cc in my band and the wife got 2 1/2cc. I got to see most of the procedure on the screen The band looks good and is in the right place and the port is just above the belly button.

We sure can tell allready that the fill is working. We have both notice it takes longer to eat and drink etc. She was 6 and I was 5 weeks out from surgery. We went to the doctors office and I weighed in at 217. Day of surgery I was 231 and first doc visit I was 250. So maybe by the 1st of the year I might be at 200 or less. The wife is loosing a little slower but that was expected according to the doctor. One thing he did say that was a surprised and have not heard much talked about it is that men have/hold there fat in by the stomach area and that is why I did not get more than 1cc since I had great restriction. women hold there fat more on the outside.

So all in all we are both please with how were are doing with the WLS etc. My wife sister had her surgery last Thursday.

The biggest problem/challenge that we have both had, and more for me than my wife is learning to re-work the drinking and eating schedule. Iam a person who can work 2-3 hours and not take a break and then come in and drink or eat. Now you can not do that. I have learned the hard that is for sure. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem and how they cured the problem. The doctor did say that is one of the major problems that people talk/complain about.

Chris

Hi! I had not noticed this thread before. I am from Clarksville Indiana. Right across the river from Louisville Ky. I work in Lou. at a shelter for children. Glad to see so many friends from Indiana. Donna

Hi All! I am im Columbus(about 45 min. south of Indy).

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with Dr. Millis or Dr. Lee at Columbus Regioal Medical?

it's been a minute since i posted. i've been going through what i'm sure all of you have gone through at some time or another. i FINALLY got my paperwork submitted to insurance this week. i called insurance on friday just to verify (i hear ya gotta do that these days) and they said that yes they did receive it...may take up to 30 days...yadda yadda yadda...we'll see...fingers crossed.

][/b]congrats congrats congrats!!!!!!!!!:whoo::clap2:

I remember the day I got approved, and it was the best day!!!

enjoy....

when do you think you are going to have the surgery???

best of luck to you...

Thanks hoosierpoms! I've been doing my two-step since opening the letter! WOW 73lbs!!! You are doing GREAT! :) I'm not sure when I'll have the surgery. Maybe starting off the new year would be a good idea!?!