Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Was Your Gastric Sleeve Surgeon

My surgeon was Dr. Michael Schweitzer, MD. The surgery was performed at the John Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, Maryland. My experience was wonderful - no complications and my surgeon was excellent. He is very knowledgeable and patient with my million and one questions.

This Bariatric Center has everything and all of the staff was very supportive. Even my hospital stay went well....my mom stayed with me the 3 days I was there and the nursing staff accommodated our every need.

The website is excellent - please check it out if you are in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Area - you won't be disappointed.

http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/bariatrics/

Hi, Thanks for all the things you said. They really are VERY important, and I appreciate how very honest you are. Being a nurse you know how IMPORTANT they things you had concerns about are.:o

Not everyone would have noticed these things. I wish you great success in your journey of weight loss.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I had my surgery at the INT hospital in Tijuana, Mexico. My surgeon was Dr. Jose Rodriguez. He was very good, very caring, and seemed to know exactly what he was doing. I had done a lot of research before setting up my surgery in Mexico, I wanted to be sure that I would get good care. Many of the employees there spoke at least basic English, and there was a translator on staff who checked in with me at least twice a day. I did have some concerns though.

1.) They didn't put a name band on me, and no positive identification was ever done prior to giving me medications. (I am a nurse and this REALLY stuck out. EVERY hospital here in the US puts a name and on their patients on admission!)

2.) No one even asked me if I had any allergies. Luckily I am only allergic to adhesive tape. But if I had an allergy to some kind of medication, I could have easily been given that med and no one would have realised what was wrong.

3.) When my pre-op lab work was drawn, the tech didn't speak english, and did not label my tubes of blood prior to leaving the room. Where I work we draw all our patient's blood work, and the rule is you label the tube with patient's name and birthday, your name, date drawn and time drawn before you leave the patient's room to make sure the tubes are NEVER mixed up with someone else's blood. (Think what a disaster it would be if someone needed blood post op, and the tubes were mixed up and the lab cross matched the blood they were going to administer with someone else's blood, could be a Fatal mistake!)

4.) I started on ice chips the day after surgery, and tea and apple juice later that same day. The next day they didn't serve me anything. I went out to the nurses station to ask why, and if I could get something. Was told by the nursing staff that I wasn't allowed to eat anything. When I stated I had ice chips, juice and tea the day before the nurse said "WHO gave it to you?" I don't know if it was language problem or what, but the surgeon had JUST told me I could have all the liquids I wanted. Minor frustration.

5.) Very minor, but wireless internet was supposed to be available, and it was very erratic, some times working, some times not.

6.) Was supposed to get a copy of the operative report prior to discharge from the hospital, but still have not received it. Coordinator told me she would email to me, but still haven't received it. Maybe will come later today or tomorrow. Again, very minor.

7.) All in all, most of the experience was good. But I have major concerns about numbers 1,2 and 3. Would think twice before I went back there. Luckily I am a nurse, and could watch out for myself, as I knew what was what (and I told my husband not to let them give me any blood or blood products!)

My surgeon was Dr Rodriguez he was awesome .I recommend him and I would do it all over again with him ...HE ROCKS !!!

Hi all,

Sleeved on July 7th by Dr. Mark Pleatman in metro Detroit area. Experience was outstanding. I was self pay and my total was $11,200.00

Hello. My surgeon was Dr. Nicholson from Plano Texas. Dr. Nick is head of the Bariatric Center at Baylor Medical in Plano. I had surgery at Forest Park Medical Center at Dallas, Texas. Dr. Nick does his surgeries either at the Baylor Plano facility or at Forest Park. Dr. Nick is a patient, caring surgeon that took as much time as I needed to talk to me about my surgery. Dr. Nicholson was a Center of Excellence provider for all three insurance plans I was on prior to getting the surgery approved (long story). The Forest Park facility is state of the art. They specialize in bariatric patients and surgeries.

My surgeon was Dr. Philip Price of Mount Carmel Bariatric in Columbus, Ohio. He rocks!! I had to wait 3 months to get on his surgery calendar, but it was well worth the wait.

Dawn

My surgeon was Dr. George A. Fielding at NYU Langone Medical Center in New York City, NY. Dr. Fielding is the weight loss surgeon to the "stars" having performed lap band surgery on NY Jet coach Rex Ryan, and Khaliah Ali (daughter of boxing legend Muhammad Ali).

I chose Dr. Fielding because he used to be morbidly obese. In 1999, after performing about 600 weight loss surgeries in his native Australia, Dr. Fielding, at 42 years old, weighed 320lbs, had asthma, reflux, sleep apnea, depression and heart arrhythmias. Dr. Fielding wrote about his experience being the weight loss surgeon and the weight loss surgery patient.

http://thinforlife.m...everyone-dreams

http://thinforlife.m...e-him-big-loser

Dr. Fielding has been instrumental in the development of laparoscopic surgery and has taught the techniques to surgeons around the world and has published more than 150 journal articles, abstracts, and book chapters. Dr. Fielding met and married his wife, Dr. Christine Ren Fielding also a distinguished weight loss surgeon while, at NYULMC -- now they are a NYC weight loss surgery "uber couple" often being mentioned in NYC gossip columns!

Dr. Fielding is an arrogant, albeit, very charming, SOB and one hell of an excellent surgeon -- he also had me pegged as the "go f-yourself" kind of woman I am -- I was going to get the lap band and within minutes of meeting and talking to Dr. F he told me "the food restrictions you are going to have with the lap band are going to make you rebel" -- he was right. I didn't know much about vertical sleeve gastrectomy. Dr. Fielding suggested I do some research and have a 2nd surgical consultation. I did my homework (right here on VST!) and knew getting sleeved was the right procedure for me. Dr. Fielding does love being a weight loss surgeon -- as the fat keeps melting off my body, Dr. Fielding is my biggest cheerleader and is often giddier about my rapid weight loss (6 weeks post surgery and I've lost over 40lbs!) than I am!

cheer2.gifhurray.gif

I am using Dr ganta in austin texas and the procedure will be done at north austin medical center. I am scheduled for june 21st 2011 1 week and counting.

I'm also in Austin and was thinking about using doctor Ganta when I was going to get the Lap Band. I didn't realize he did VSG. If you don't mind me asking, how much does he charge? I don't have anyone who could come with me if I get surgery in another town, so I'd like to stay in Austin if I can!

Hey Everyone! Eric here. I had my VSG on June 22, 2011. I am currently just under 1 month out and have had no complications or set-backs. Dr. Nepomnashy said he thought the sleeve looked "Text book Perfect". The Staff and Bariatric team at Lahey Clinic have all been superb and I can't thank them enough. they have truly made my journey so much easier. The nurses especially were all amazing. The care I received was excellent.

Surgeon: Dr. Dimitri Nepomnayshy

Hospital : Lahey Clinic - Burlington, Ma.

Please feel free to follow my journey also on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/NotSoPlump

My surgeon for the lap band and the sleeve is Dr. Mark Paya. His office is in West Hills, California and my surgery was done at U.C. Irvine (required by Anthem).

My band never slipped because of a technique he does to ensure it stays put. I just didn't have the success with it I had hoped for. It wasn't for my particular personality. I hated having it in me and I learned how to eat anything with it. It wasn't any fault of Dr. Paya.

He's a fantastic surgeon and I found him while researching lap band surgery 4 years ago. He was actually recommended by the manufacturer of the lap band.

Love you Doc Paya!!

My surgeon was Dr. James Davidson, surgery was at Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas, Texas. ( he has the Center of Excellence stamp of approval) As previously stated, Forest Park is a state of the art private hospital for cash pay patients. Dr. Davidson's insurance patients are treated at Presbyterian Hosptial in Dallas, which is an excellent hospital as well. I highly recommend him as well as his entire team, they're a great group!!

I was a self-pay and my surgeon was Dr. Irani from Bakersfield, CA. My surgery was performed at Mercy SW in Bakersfield as well. Dr. Irani (and his PA Kristen) are AWESOME. i would recommend him to ANYONE in California's central valley.

i live in ca how much did you pay thank you nancy