Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be worried....

I just got off the phone with the doctor's office that my medical group suggested based on my insurance (which is a whole different set of questions).

He's a well respected doctor in the area and has done tons of bypasses...thing is he hasn't done ANY sleeves. The receptionist said that he was "going to start." :scared0:

So, opinions please, should I running screaming in the opposite direction? Of course by the time I jump thru all the insurance hoops he may have a few sleeves under his belt, but it's more always better?

Thanks in advance,

Tracy

Ok well... before I say anything let me just say this is my personal opinion only.

That said, my band surgeon was fairly new with the procedure when he came to doing mine. I was his 23rd I believe or around there. IMO, even if it were only the band I think experience had alot to do with the technique and might be a bit responsible for me not having a good band experience what-so-ever.

When I decided to be revised I originally wanted to go through insurance. However they would have sent me to someone in my area and I didn't notice any here that I felt were that experienced in the sleeve, nor revisions from band to sleeve. I knew this time I wanted experience. I got loans to get that experienced surgeon and I'm ever so glad I did. My surgery went well (not perfectly mind you) and his technique so far is proving to me to be a miracle. Not just that but I've already even noticed the difference in my new incisions to my old ones. They are very much smaller and healing incredibly well. Now, I don't know but I think even that has to do with lots of experience in one particular surgery, especially being the one you want.

Anyway, this time around I'm glad I made my own decision on who I went to... I knew I wanted only the best.

Good luck! Please check in and let us know how you decide.

My insurance recommended me to a particular surgery clinic in my area because they are the closest to where I live. This surgeon has a lot of experience with other types of bariatric surgeries, but is limited in the number of sleeves he's done. I trust him, and know he'll be conscientious, and do a good job for me, so I'm not worried. I think if your surgeon is an experienced surgeon, he's going to do a fine job with your surgery, if only because he's new at it. He's going to be super careful of what he's doing.

What you may want to do is ask your insurance if they can refer you to a more experience surgery center, or to a specific surgeon who has done more than a few of your type of surgery.

Dave

I just got off the phone with the doctor's office that my medical group suggested based on my insurance (which is a whole different set of questions).

He's a well respected doctor in the area and has done tons of bypasses...thing is he hasn't done ANY sleeves. The receptionist said that he was "going to start." :scared0:

So, opinions please, should I running screaming in the opposite direction? Of course by the time I jump thru all the insurance hoops he may have a few sleeves under his belt, but it's more always better?

Thanks in advance,

Tracy

Tracy, has he done any DS surgeries? VSG is the first part of the DS, my Dr. doesnt have too many VSG but she had done like 2000 DS's and come highly recommended. Everything turned out great, I had 0 complications.

I'm planning on using a surgeon also that has done only a few sleeves, but again from my research it's just the first part of a DS...

My doc has done only a few too. I talked to the girl who had the first one ever in this area. She said she wasn't scared at all. They had so many nurses and drs in the OR and were taking no chances :scared0:

When I was asked my doctor how many sleeves he had done he said 500 and smiled. Then I asked anyone have problems with leaks? He smiled again and said not a one. That was good enough for me. I think you have to have complete confidence in your surgeon. I believe that confidence contributed to my overall good attitude and splendid recovery.

When I was asked my doctor how many sleeves he had done he said 500 and smiled. Then I asked anyone have problems with leaks? He smiled again and said not a one. That was good enough for me. I think you have to have complete confidence in your surgeon. I believe that confidence contributed to my overall good attitude and splendid recovery.

what is your surgeons name?

I went to Dr. George Eccles(pronounces Eckles) at the Bariatric Center in Murfreesboro , Tn. There are two surgeons there. I chose Dr. Eccles because he did my hernia surgery years ago. I believe his partner Dr. Westmoreland is just as qualified.

thank you much and best of luck....

Thank you all for the great replies. I'll ask about DS's when I go to the info session on the 13th. I think tomorrow I'm going to check with the doc I was originally going to go with and see what his record is. I also think I'll call my insurance and how it would be covered if I went to my first choice.

I'll also keep in mind that a conscientious surgeon is a good one (usually) and that everyone has to start somewhere! :)

I'll keep y'all posted as the plot thickens,

Thanks again,

Tracy

He's a well respected doctor in the area and has done tons of bypasses...thing is he hasn't done ANY sleeves. The receptionist said that he was "going to start." :)

Thanks in advance,

Tracy

Tracidee66

How come you don't come to UCSD?:thumbup:

I will also get a M.D. that did a lot of the sleeves,Everybody can't do surgery.

Well, it seems that persistence pays off. It all turned out to be a case of different people interpreting information differently. I have POS plan--so I have the ability to go out of network...although both doctors are contracted providers, I'm still not seeing why I got the conflicting info...but it all means nothing now anyway.

I called my preferred surgeon's office and talked to his insurance coordinator (shout out to Lettie!!!!) and explained the situation. She called to double check that the sleeve was covered with this doc as an out of network option and then had me call my insurance to confirm.

Long story short I have a consult this FRIDAY !! :confused::thumbup::wink0:

So, I guess my journey is really actually beginning.

I guess it's really going to happen! Thanks again for all the help.

Tracy

Well, it seems that persistence pays off. It all turned out to be a case of different people interpreting information differently. I have POS plan--so I have the ability to go out of network...although both doctors are contracted providers, I'm still not seeing why I got the conflicting info...but it all means nothing now anyway.

I called my preferred surgeon's office and talked to his insurance coordinator (shout out to Lettie!!!!) and explained the situation. She called to double check that the sleeve was covered with this doc as an out of network option and then had me call my insurance to confirm.

Long story short I have a consult this FRIDAY !! :wink0::thumbup::thumbup:

So, I guess my journey is really actually beginning.

I guess it's really going to happen! Thanks again for all the help.

Tracy

That is great news Tracy! Please let us know how your appointment goes!

:confused: