Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Remind me of why I shouldn't get on the scale

Here I am, the one that put out the challenge to you all to only weigh once a month and I'm having trouble sticking to that rule myself. It's been 2 weeks since my last weigh in and I'm really tempted to get on that scale. (Luckily, I don't own one so it means going over to a friend's house.) I think it's because I'm bored and maybe a little down. Now that I don't have food to focus on, I'm looking for something else to give me a temporary boost. Obsessing about my weight loss would certainly do that, but it's not good for me.

I'm 12 weeks out and things have really gotten back to normal. That means that everything is about the same as it was 6 months ago except that:

1. I'm thinner

2. I can't (I choose not to) act out with food anymore

I have not found the holy grail. The partner of my dreams hasn't suddenly appeared. I don't have a perfect body. I'm just the same old me but thinner.

Rationally, I knew that losing weight wouldn't solve all my problems but part of me must have believed the fairy tale that if I lost weight, I'd never be sad, lonely tired, angry, bored or depressed again. Here I am with goal in sight and a certain dis-ease or ennui has set it. Nothing too serious, but I need to fill it with something besides food or weight obsession.

Maybe it's time to get a new hobby.

I wasn't here when you posted that challenge, but after reading your post, it seems to me like you need to shake up your life a little. It sounds like you're bored. So if "everything is back to normal" with the few exceptions you named, and you aren't happy with things, then it's time to make a change. Even a small one, but you need to start somewhere. What have you always wanted to do, just for you, but felt you couldn't because you were overweight?

If you're an exercise person, maybe it's time to change up the routine. If you walk or hike, why not tackle a different route? Try lifting weights, or swim a longer distance, just to see if you can do it? I'll bet you can, but you won't know till you try.

Is your house perfectly arranged to your liking? Maybe it's time to clean out those old closets, get rid of clothes you know you'll never wear again, and try to declutter things some. And if that's already been done, maybe it's time to paint the kitchen, to refresh things some, and to reflect your new relationship with food. You know you've wanted to do that for a long time - maybe now is the time.

Nothing needs to be dramatic or expensive, but even a small change can make you feel empowered and rejuvenated. Just be sure it's a personal victory, so when it's done, you are the one who benefits from it. This weight loss journey is about you, so it's time to start giving yourself the rewards of your efforts.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Dave

Edited by Dave_NW

Dave you always write lovely things on this forum, if you get bored when you get near to goal you should write a book! Lisalu I agree with all he's saying, good luck with you new you!

because it becomes an obsession.....get a hobby like you said, you will feel great....find the time, make time, and you will feel happier and motivated to do new things. goodluck and wish you the best.:thumbup:

Lisalu,

I agree with the others... but a hobbie is a great idea... I love to draw and paint, when I get the time, and I find it gives me a great sense of satisfaction... it stops me thinking of 'stuff' and keeps my hands busy too...

but anything that keeps your mind occupied will work... let us know what you decide x

Wow, Im glad I came across this posting. I haven't had surgery yet, but trying some of these will surely help me to not be bored and turn to food to satisfy boredom. I will be making a list for all things that can be done around here before knowing what my surgery date is.

Thanks for opening my mind tonight.

I wasn't here when you posted that challenge, but after reading your post, it seems to me like you need to shake up your life a little. It sounds like you're bored. So if "everything is back to normal" with the few exceptions you named, and you aren't happy with things, then it's time to make a change. Even a small one, but you need to start somewhere. What have you always wanted to do, just for you, but felt you couldn't because you were overweight?

If you're an exercise person, maybe it's time to change up the routine. If you walk or hike, why not tackle a different route? Try lifting weights, or swim a longer distance, just to see if you can do it? I'll bet you can, but you won't know till you try.

Is your house perfectly arranged to your liking? Maybe it's time to clean out those old closets, get rid of clothes you know you'll never wear again, and try to declutter things some. And if that's already been done, maybe it's time to paint the kitchen, to refresh things some, and to reflect your new relationship with food. You know you've wanted to do that for a long time - maybe now is the time.

Nothing needs to be dramatic or expensive, but even a small change can make you feel empowered and rejuvenated. Just be sure it's a personal victory, so when it's done, you are the one who benefits from it. This weight loss journey is about you, so it's time to start giving yourself the rewards of your efforts.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your weight loss!

Dave

Wow, Im glad I came across this posting. I haven't had surgery yet, but trying some of these will surely help me to not be bored and turn to food to satisfy boredom. I will be making a list for all things that can be done around here before knowing what my surgery date is.

Thanks for opening my mind tonight.

You're very welcome. I'm glad to offer anything I can to help others along on their journey, and I hope my suggestions give them good things to think about. This Forum has been invaluable to me, and I'm only getting started. So far it's all about anticipation. I'm looking forward to having my own "real" issues to ask about! LOL! :)

Dave

Im so glad I will not have this problem. I don't have a scale at home, nor am I driving 25 minutes from home to get on one. Now if I have to go to the doctor or emergency then that is different. But I will not be buying one.

It is truly an obsession, only because as a lot of you know, you have lost a tremendous amount of weight. Losing is a wonderful thing and to know this WLS is the tool to make us happy, who wouldn't want to know how the scale is moving.

Here I am, the one that put out the challenge to you all to only weigh once a month and I'm having trouble sticking to that rule myself. It's been 2 weeks since my last weigh in and I'm really tempted to get on that scale. (Luckily, I don't own one so it means going over to a friend's house.) I think it's because I'm bored and maybe a little down. Now that I don't have food to focus on, I'm looking for something else to give me a temporary boost. Obsessing about my weight loss would certainly do that, but it's not good for me.

I'm 12 weeks out and things have really gotten back to normal. That means that everything is about the same as it was 6 months ago except that:

1. I'm thinner

2. I can't (I choose not to) act out with food anymore

I have not found the holy grail. The partner of my dreams hasn't suddenly appeared. I don't have a perfect body. I'm just the same old me but thinner.

Rationally, I knew that losing weight wouldn't solve all my problems but part of me must have believed the fairy tale that if I lost weight, I'd never be sad, lonely tired, angry, bored or depressed again. Here I am with goal in sight and a certain dis-ease or ennui has set it. Nothing too serious, but I need to fill it with something besides food or weight obsession.

Maybe it's time to get a new hobby.

And I hope we can advise you.

You're very welcome. I'm glad to offer anything I can to help others along on their journey, and I hope my suggestions give them good things to think about. This Forum has been invaluable to me, and I'm only getting started. So far it's all about anticipation. I'm looking forward to having my own "real" issues to ask about! LOL! :confused:

Dave

My doctor actually encourages me to weight daily- he said that research shows that people who weigh daily are more successful with losing weight, then maintaining that weight loss than people who dont weigh daily- he thinks it makes us more accountable.

hmmmmm, interesting. opinions are just that. i will find it discouraging if the weight stayed the same. whu not weigh once a week.

My doctor actually encourages me to weight daily- he said that research shows that people who weigh daily are more successful with losing weight, then maintaining that weight loss than people who dont weigh daily- he thinks it makes us more accountable.