Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel hunger. I get hungry several times a day. I don't know what to do. I thought I wasn't supposed to feel hunger. And I can't decide if it's a good thing or a bad thing. I've never minded hunger. It reminds me to eat. But at the same time I'm wondering if it's something else. I thought maybe it was acid reflux, but I don't feel it up in my esophagus. I feel it in my new tiny little stomach. Does anyone else have this problem? Did it eventually go away? How long did that take? I am 4 weeks post-op.

AniO:confused1:

I went through the same for a week or 2 at 4-5 weeks. 7 1/2 weeks out I hardly feel hungry any more, and when I do I find that with a few ozs of chicken I'm full! Don't know if it was because I kept reading here that people weren't hungry or is that that it takes time for lack of ghrelin to settle in your body and brain? Anyway hope it happens to you soon, I was stressing a lot over it, in the end tried to convince myself it was head hunger, who knows, our bodies work in mysterious ways! Good luck to you!

Thanks for the respons Chilo1. When you were going through that, did your stomach rumble or did you feel churning or an acidy feeling?

The best way to describe it was an empty stomach feeling, I guess I hadn't felt that way in a long time, because I used to be a yo-yo dieter but hadn't even dieted properly for years, so hadn't felt "hungry" for a while, was used to just putting something in my mouth at the first signs of hunger! What do you feel? I'm sure it'll get better you know, i used to have a HUGE appetite.

I feel my stomach rumble and then a little acidy feeling in my stomach, but it doesn't come up, so i don't think it's reflux.

I am glad I am not the only one I knew I wasn't suppose to feel hungry but I do. I was kind of glad because every 3 hours or so I feel it then I eat a few bites and I am full. I am only 16 days out of surgery so maybe it will go away. I just feel a empty feeling in my tummy.

I feel hunger too and it is frequent and very annoying. I am 2.5 months out. I am also able to eat almost two cups of food like turkery chili or turkery meatloaf with sides and about 4 ounces of a chicken breast with vegetables and some rice. I thought I would only be able to eat half that amount.

It's quite frustrating and my weigh loss has been stalled for quite a while.

I suppose that I need to just go on an old fashioned diet and only eat a small amount and let my will power stop me rather than relying on my supposed smaller stomach.

Most of what I've read (and asked my doc), tells me this isn't real hunger but acids in the stomach re-adjusting. I'm 23 days out and I was/am having that hunger/empty feeling alot. I switched from nexuim to prevacid and it has helped alot, and I'm hoping it will go away completely soon. My doc even said to take gaviscon during the day to help (I haven't been to the store yet to get some, but I'm going to try it)

DITTO! I'm 4 weeks out and TOTALLY get that stomach-rumble/hungry feeling regularly. I'll have eaten (and have that feeling that the food is up to the top of my esophagus- which it probably is), but still feel like my stomach is empty. I know I can't get any more food down, but my stomach still feels like it still needs it! It doesn't feel terrible, but not pleasant either. I'm sure it will go away with time, and I'm looking forward to it!

My friend who had her VSG 3 years ago says that it goes away. I've been on Prilosec since a month before surgery. No acid-y feeling, just the rumbling.

Edited by pcindy

AniO you may not have acid reflux but you could still be producing way to much acid for your little tummy and a PPI could help a lot. I had those same feelings going on and my tummy rumbling and just generally making it self known constantly and a day or so after I started my PPI it felt totally different. I get the hunger sensation now and that EMPTY feed me jabbing feeling but the rumbling and churning has gone away. Just a thought :)

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm going to go get a PPI today. Hopefully that sensation will be gone in a couple of days.

AniO

DITTO! I'm 4 weeks out and TOTALLY get that stomach-rumble/hungry feeling regularly. I'll have eaten (and have that feeling that the food is up to the top of my esophagus- which it probably is), but still feel like my stomach is empty. I know I can't get any more food down, but my stomach still feels like it still needs it! It doesn't feel terrible, but not pleasant either. I'm sure it will go away with time, and I'm looking forward to it!

My friend who had her VSG 3 years ago says that it goes away. I've been on Prilosec since a month before surgery. No acid-y feeling, just the rumbling.

DITTO; DITTO! I couldn't have said it better my self. I am 23 days out and hungry every few hours! I hate it. I too thought that we weren't supposed to feel hungry. I feel like the food is in my throat, but I'm still hungry in my little tummy. When can we expect this to subside?:confused1:

I find it easier to eat around 6 times a day, even though I've been told not to snack. I have Breakfast, coffee and cheese , or an egg or ham, then at around 10 a smootie or Protein Shake, then lunch, Beans and cheese or half an omelette, something early afternoon with a coffee or tea, then dinner and later on a small again. I eat around 900 cal a day, exercise 4 times a week, and have lost about 27 pounds in 7 weeks plus the preop another 10 pounds, I know I'm losing a bit slow but I'm happy with my loss so far and today my surgeon said I'm doing really well, nearly half way to goal, lost 38 pounds in total and another 40 to go!

i found out the other day. you just click on your ticker and it should popup a window. then enter your password and you can change it. Then copy the new code at the bottom. go to your signature, delete the old ticker and copy the new code. preview to see if it is good.