Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

many AFTER questions

How long can you not drive for after the surgery?

How long were you on pain medication for?

How long did you stay in the hospital?

Any advice on what Protein Drinks are worth getting for after surgery?

Was your stomach swollen, if so for how long?

I've read that many did not eat due to pain during the first week?

Meeting with surgeon next Wednesday - all preop has been completed.

Kim

you can drive as soon as your off pain medication

I was on pain medication for about 3 weeks

I was in the hospital 2 days, but I also had a hernia repair

no advice on protien drinks.. , they make me throw up

my stomach was swollen for a couple days..

I was on a clear liquid then full liquid diet for the first couple weeks, but did experience some pain when I was advanced to pureed foods

everyone is different though, so just think positive and hope for the best

:biggrin0:

I had surgery on Wednesday and went home on Friday. I am still waiting a couple more days to drive, the seat belt knows just where to rub me wrong. LOL

Pain Med.....I haven't needed or taken any since I left the Hospital. I think my tummy is still alittle swollen, but come on it's been through alot!

How long can you not drive for after the surgery? - I drove half an hour on day 4, the day I was back from the hospital.

How long were you on pain medication for? - I stopped taking pain pills during the day after day 4; stopped taking pain pills at night after day 5.

How long did you stay in the hospital? - 3 days

Any advice on what Protein drinks are worth getting for after surgery? - I really like PVL whey Gourmet for the full liquids stage. I had some Protein coolers for the clear stage, but they were all pretty gross, so while I could tolerate them for a few days, I'm not touching them now.

Was your stomach swollen, if so for how long? - not really....maybe a tiny bit, but not so much that it jumped out at me

I've read that many did not eat due to pain during the first week? - wasn't a problem. I was on liquids, and didn't have any stomach pain with them.

I was driving by day 4

I only used tylenol liquid blast pain relief after day 4

I sayed 1 nite in hospital

I added unflavored whey Protein to anything I could

Swelling lasted 5 days for me

clear liquids for 7 days after surgery then soft diet.:thumbup:

Driving by day 5

No pain meds after I left the hospital (one tylenol for a headache once)

2 nights at hospital

Muscle Milk Light ROCKS... IMO (i hate powders that you add to food gag!)

General swelling in tummy area around 10-12 days but its more just a lil poofy around incisions then noticable swelling.

Clear Liquids were like heaven but I wasnt hungry so not eating real food didn't bother me until around the time I got to mushies and I was ready for those puppies!

How long can you not drive for after the surgery? - I drove the day I got home from the hospital.

How long were you on pain medication for? - I was on the Morphine pump for 24 hours and I took Lortab in the hospital at night only. I never took pain medicine when I got home.

How long did you stay in the hospital? - I had to stay in the hospital for 3 nights. I was a lapband revsion and a hernia repair though. I also was having problems urinating on my own so I had to stay an extra day.

Any advice on what Protein drinks are worth getting for after surgery? - the only one that I can seem to tolerate is the Bariatric Advantage vanilla flavor blended like a shake.

Was your stomach swollen, if so for how long? - my stomach was swollen for several days. I was pumped full of fluids because of the previously mentioned urinating problem.

I've read that many did not eat due to pain during the first week? - I am still on liquids so I am not sure about this. I had to be on liquids for three weeks. I have my post op appointment on Friday, hopefully going to be able to eat something.

Any advice on what Protein drinks are worth getting for after surgery?

Kim

Hi Kim! Questions are good, that is how we learn right! Well here is how my experiences went. . . I drove about 1 week later, I only took pain meds while in the hospital, I stayed in the hospital for my complete 4 days. I totally love the Bariatric Advantage shakes, I'm 9 months out and still use them. I was swollen for a while (1 - 1 1/2 weeks) I didn't eat from pain, i didn't eat the first week because the doctor said so. . no solids or semi solids for about 2 weeks! Liquids the first week, full liquids the second. then you slowly progress to the mushy stage and finally experiment with what is good and stays with you in the 4th week. . . you'll do ok, your doctor will have a schedule for you. . every doctor, I've learned is very very different. . so listen to yours! Good luck

I drove an hour home from the airport 3 days after surgery.

I stayed one night in the hospital.

I didn't need anything for pain the day after surgery.

I didn't have any pain with eating (started on cl liquids), though I definately know it if I overeat now! lol

I think my tummy was a little swollen for about a week.

Can't give you any help with Protein drinks, I think they are all gross and don't use them.

I drove for the first time 8 days after surgerty.

I stayed one night in the hospital.

I took Liquid Lortab for 4 days after surgery. I took it more to go to sleep than for pain.

I drink the Advance Protein from Walmart. It comes in many flavors, is cheap and met all the guidelines my dietician set up.AND hubby and I both like it.

I have had no pain upon eating. There was once I took that "one bite more" than I should have. I was feeling stuffed until my 30 minutes passed and I could resume drinking Water.

I think my stomach is some what swollen. I had a hiatal hernia repair with my sleeve. But my work uniforms that I couldn't pull up over my butt fit now. YAY!!

I am happy I did it and would do it again . I may not be the norm, but I have had smooth sailing all the way.

Kim

Hi Kim!

I was on pain meds for two days I think -- I had my surgery in South America, so no pump where I could put the pain meds in myself, they did it.

I stayed in the hospital for 3 1/2 days because I had some reactions to the anesthesia (I was miserable). No biggie now though, but they wanted me there just to make sure.

I have a Protein Drink here that I'm betting is not in the States, so . . .

My stomach was swollen for about 5 days. I think a lot of it was from the IV fluids that I retained too.

I couldn't eat the first day (dr's orders), and then drank the 2nd and am on the liquid diet now -- it was painful at first, but now that I"m a week out, I'm feeling pretty good.

I hope that helps -- let me know if you have any more questions! :scared0:

Kim

I could not drive for 1 week after I was released from the hospital.

I was on pain meds for about 1 1/2 weeks.

I was in the hospital Friday-Monday afternoon.

My surgeon just said to make sure I get in at LEAST 50 grams of Protein a day.

I think my stomach is still a little swollen 3 weeks out, seriously.

OK I'm going to be totally honest the pain was really, really BAD for me at least. It's terrible because you're supposed to sip but you don't want to because of the pain :wink1: ...swallowing a golf ball is the best description I've read yet. BUT the good news is that IT DOES GO AWAY :). After 14 days I felt great!!! and pretty much back to normal :biggrin2:.

Look for the thread in the food section called places to get samples.< /strong>

It's better to get samples of things rather than buy a tub of something you may not like. What you like before surgery, you may not like after surgery.

I drove the day I got home from the hosptial. I never took pain meds other than the first 24 hours in the hospital.

Mansart -

I haven't been able to find any Protein drinks that I could stand so I have just tried to make sure that my food really counts - I eat Protein first, then if I have any room lol I eat veggies, carbs etc.

I love tuna, chicken, fish, shrimp, eggs, refried Beans (yes I know they are carbs). Since I have been on "food" I have eaten an egg every day. I have a tiny skillet lol and I scramble one egg and put a little bit of salsa on it, or I keep a dish of hard boiled eggs in the fridge and I like to cut one up and put a little bit of fat free miracle whip with it to make egg salad. It took me a little while to be able to eat a whole egg, but now it is no problem.

I know that protein drinks are probably the best for you, I just couldn't do them. Hopefully you will find something that you like.

K