Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My own "What have I done?" moment has come.. please help

:)

I have heard many people having buyers remorse just after their op, and people having the feeling "what have I done?"

Up to now I hadn't experienced it, and didn't imagine I ever would. But all of a sudden I am overcome with fear and could really use some support.

Before the operation I told myself that I would rather die than be so obsessed with food and weight all my life. The risk was worth it. Now I am not sure.

What if something goes wrong with my sleeve? I am definitely not in the green zone yet, I'm only 5 days out.

What if there are long term side effects which will negatively affect my health, which we don't know about yet.

Why the hell wasn't I strong enough to deal with this problem naturally, and pull myself together?

I am 26 and want a family. What if I never make it to that point because of the foolish and lazy choices I have made?

What if something happens to me. My family are going to be distraught, I will have put them through pain and upset for my own selfish reasons. Because I couldn't get my act together.

I just feel like a fool right now. And I am angry with myself. And terrified of the consequences. Please help me get through this. :)

So many of us totally understand what you're going through TRUST ME! I cried while I was in the hospital and even when I got home. I had a heart to heart with my hubby, who helped me to realize this was actually something I needed to do for my health, and that it was a good thing ultimatley, and that all those negative feelings would pass...You will be fine, and most importantly the healthiest and best you, you can be :biggrin0:...big hug!!!!

Looks like we're in this one together Susieq! My op was 6 days ago now too, and I'm back to work Tuesday. Luckily they are understanding, but I am still nervous about how/if I will cope. I really hope it goes ok for you. Let me know how you get on Monday.

Plus, just to add to the drama - tonight I had terrible chest pains. Similar to what I've had all along and the nurses were calling "gas", but it got so bad I ended up going to Accident and Emergency.

Then the thought of a leak popped into my head and I started having panic attacks. So the nurses were flapping around me making me breathe through a bag thing and taking my blood pressure etc. Then a Doctor came to see me and started saying "I don't know why you had this surgery done, you aren't fat, and you're pretty! Why put yourself through all this?"..... That was NOT what I wanted to hear and just said "it's a long story, please just help me!"

They did an X-Ray and all is ok, no leak and everything looks great. So it must just be either gas or indigestion. I swear I have never had pain like that, every breath in made me cry out in agony.

So now I'm back home, and exhausted. :biggrin0:

With a night like that, it's no wonder you're questioning everything! Get some rest, sweetie. Just think how much better we'll feel in two weeks!

Looks like we're in this one together Susieq! My op was 6 days ago now too, and I'm back to work Tuesday. Luckily they are understanding, but I am still nervous about how/if I will cope. I really hope it goes ok for you. Let me know how you get on Monday.

Plus, just to add to the drama - tonight I had terrible chest pains. Similar to what I've had all along and the nurses were calling "gas", but it got so bad I ended up going to Accident and Emergency.

Then the thought of a leak popped into my head and I started having panic attacks. So the nurses were flapping around me making me breathe through a bag thing and taking my blood pressure etc. Then a Doctor came to see me and started saying "I don't know why you had this surgery done, you aren't fat, and you're pretty! Why put yourself through all this?"..... That was NOT what I wanted to hear and just said "it's a long story, please just help me!"

They did an X-Ray and all is ok, no leak and everything looks great. So it must just be either gas or indigestion. I swear I have never had pain like that, every breath in made me cry out in agony.

So now I'm back home, and exhausted. :biggrin0:

OH NO! Maybe it was too soon to go back to work girlie!!!! You just had major surgery! Please take it easy and REST and take care of yourself!!! PLEASE!!! You're in my prayers!!!

wow this really help me to im 8 days away from my surgery and im getting soooo scared. this site really does make it much easier. and this ques goes to mp8 how come you cant drink crystal light now? thats all i drink at the moment but im wondering how come lots of people dont drink it anymore after surg

OMG! Two & Susieq!! I'm 6 days today and have ALL these same feelings!!! I cried reading the responses too!!!! I have been sooo down & it really, really helps seeing that this is normal!!! Thanks to everyone that post such inspiring words!!!!

I'm 6 days out and have similar feelings. Reading this thread made me cry. I'm overwhelmed by trying to get all of this Protein down. I'm afraid of the Protein powder so I've been drinking Isopure. I'm not getting enough Protein, but I'm doing a little better each day. The schedule of drinking and eating just doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, I have work to return to on Monday. My surgery timing was poor as far as work is concerned, but it was either now or November and I didn't want to wait. I don't know how I'll survive doing everything I need to do next week AND keep track of eating and drinking. Anxiety level: HIGH.

Okay first off....BREATHE! Your job right now is to heal. Thats it. Do your best with protein, but you really don't need to track everything just yet. You need to focus on hydration and healing. Your body can go for a while without much in the way of nutrition, but it can not go without being hydrated. I had to have someone grab my by the shoulders and tell me to calm down (figuratively) when I was about where you are. I refused carbs, but was vomiting constantly when Tiffykins finally told me to chill, drink a gatorade and take a nap. You will have plenty of time to heal and track and lose lots of weight, but right now that can't be your focus.

wow this really help me to im 8 days away from my surgery and im getting soooo scared. this site really does make it much easier. and this ques goes to mp8 how come you cant drink crystal light now? thats all i drink at the moment but im wondering how come lots of people dont drink it anymore after surg

I said I can't drink crystal light? Was it on a different thread? Crystal light is an approved post drink option for sure. I will be honest I only like the fruit punch one. The others taste like diet drinks to me. I don't like aspartame sort of taste of fake sweetners. Not even in gum can I stomach it. I will only have sweet N low in my tea and coffee. Other then that I wont drink it. I have tried other sweetners such as truvia and splenda...DONT LIKE EM lol.

I always loved to wash food down with a bubbly regular Pepsi so now I am just drinking tea, apple juice and some fruit punch crystal light along with my Water.

I think lost of people use crystal light though and it is an awesome zero calorie/sugar option for sure!:thumbup:

And don't forget Two - you still have tons of general anesthesia swimming around in your body. This was my Mother's biggest concern for me regarding the surgery, she has always worked in the medical field and she knew that general anesthesia does bizarre things to the emotions and the body. For example, a week after surgery my scalp got crazy itchy and started flaking like the worst case of dandruff ever, and then it went away.

And yep, that pain sounds like gas pains to me, that's what mine felt like when I tried to lay on my back.

This was major invasive surgery, would you go back to work the following Monday after having your appendix out? I'm grateful I was able to take 3 weeks (I'd saved up vacation time for a year). This too shall pass and when you go in for your first check up with your surgeon and see the weight you've lost, you'll be stoked!! :scared0:

:scared0:

I have heard many people having buyers remorse just after their op, and people having the feeling "what have I done?"

Up to now I hadn't experienced it, and didn't imagine I ever would. But all of a sudden I am overcome with fear and could really use some support.

Before the operation I told myself that I would rather die than be so obsessed with food and weight all my life. The risk was worth it. Now I am not sure.

What if something goes wrong with my sleeve? I am definitely not in the green zone yet, I'm only 5 days out.

What if there are long term side effects which will negatively affect my health, which we don't know about yet.

Why the hell wasn't I strong enough to deal with this problem naturally, and pull myself together?

I am 26 and want a family. What if I never make it to that point because of the foolish and lazy choices I have made?

What if something happens to me. My family are going to be distraught, I will have put them through pain and upset for my own selfish reasons. Because I couldn't get my act together.

I just feel like a fool right now. And I am angry with myself. And terrified of the consequences. Please help me get through this. :crying:

Bless your heart, these are all normal feelings. You are 5 days out and your body is already dealing with changes, this includes hormonal changes (this goes for the guys as well, they are human too). . your going to be ok, nothing will go wrong with the sleeve as long as you do as the doctor says. . your going to be ok. . you are not lazy or foolish, you made the right choice by having this surgery because you couldn't do it on your own. . if you could have done it on your own you would have right? Well here you are with us, most of us have gone through this, and most of us had buyer's remorse, god knows i sure did, I hated the sleeve! Wished i would have never done this. . . but i think it was more so because i was "mourning" the loss of my friend (food) I couldn't have as much as i wanted and if i had 1 more thing too many I would hurt and feel bad. Who wants that? not me!!!! We have to relearn to cope with our "new" lifestyle and that is hard. . no one likes the word change never mind doing it! You'll be ok my friend, this sleeve thingy is a tool only, like a hammer is a tool to drive a nail, the sleeve is our tool to help us loose weight, we are the ones who need to make it work for us by doing what the doctor says, following our plans of action, exercising and readjusting to our new lifestyle. . yes its hell and yes there is going to be alot of "what have I done" moments, but it is so worth it in the end! Good luck and I hope this helped a bit. . . sometimes I just ramble on. . .

Bless your heart, these are all normal feelings. You are 5 days out and your body is already dealing with changes, this includes hormonal changes (this goes for the guys as well, they are human too). . your going to be ok, nothing will go wrong with the sleeve as long as you do as the doctor says. . your going to be ok. . you are not lazy or foolish, you made the right choice by having this surgery because you couldn't do it on your own. . if you could have done it on your own you would have right? Well here you are with us, most of us have gone through this, and most of us had buyer's remorse, god knows i sure did, I hated the sleeve! Wished i would have never done this. . . but i think it was more so because i was "mourning" the loss of my friend (food) I couldn't have as much as i wanted and if i had 1 more thing too many I would hurt and feel bad. Who wants that? not me!!!! We have to relearn to cope with our "new" lifestyle and that is hard. . no one likes the word change never mind doing it! You'll be ok my friend, this sleeve thingy is a tool only, like a hammer is a tool to drive a nail, the sleeve is our tool to help us loose weight, we are the ones who need to make it work for us by doing what the doctor says, following our plans of action, exercising and readjusting to our new lifestyle. . yes its hell and yes there is going to be alot of "what have I done" moments, but it is so worth it in the end! Good luck and I hope this helped a bit. . . sometimes I just ramble on. . .

This post just reminds me when I was a week out I was mourning food so badly that I put on my FB "Missing my best friend" I was very upset for a couple of weekends, thought I would never get used to it, now I'm loving it! As I said yesterday I think we all went through something similar!

Oh man, it is overwhelming. I have 3 days til surgery. I had a mini-freakout a couple days ago. Seems my energy and spirits are on a rollercoaster. When Im up, Im up. When Im down I start questioning everything. I survive by reading the posts on this site. Knowing Im not the only one experiencing the crazies, the fears, the excitement and joys makes it easier. C'mon girls (and guys) We can do this. No one said it would be easy... and it's not. We are like vsg warriors... fighting our way through bad habits and cravings and self image issues... when we come out the other side we will be healthier and stronger and a whole lot thinner. (o:

I giggled when I read the post about your panic attacks. Wow, that sounded bad. I was NOT laughing at you; I was laughing because I recognized the symptoms. About 2 weeks after my surgery, I ended up in urgent care due to leg pains. I was sure it was deep vein thrombosis and was waiting for it to progress to pulmonary embolism. Luckily I had a really great doctor in urgent care who talked me down. You regrets and panic seem very normal. I think you will start feeling better soon. I am 12 weeks out and I feel great. Hang in there, chica.

I giggled when I read the post about your panic attacks. Wow, that sounded bad. I was NOT laughing at you; I was laughing because I recognized the symptoms. About 2 weeks after my surgery, I ended up in urgent care due to leg pains. I was sure it was deep vein thrombosis and was waiting for it to progress to pulmonary embolism. Luckily I had a really great doctor in urgent care who talked me down. You regrets and panic seem very normal. I think you will start feeling better soon. I am 12 weeks out and I feel great. Hang in there, chica.

I do feel pretty silly about it. I don't mind you laughing! :)

The funny thing is that I just woke up at 2am with pains in my calf and I was worrying the same thing! But tbh I've had leg pains in the night for a couple of years, think it's probably veinous insufficiency. What did your doc tell you to do for yours? xx