Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my mom jealous :(

Joy what surgeon did you decide on? You mentioned in your post that your insurance just started covering it. Do you think you might be able to qualify and have it covered? My insurance covers the procedure but I didn't meet the requirements. I wish I could have saved the money and had them pay for all or part of it, but I understand their medical necessity rules.

Ok, so my surgery is scheduled for November 23. My plans were to not tell my mom but I did anyway. She talked down about it and was totally against it! OR SO IT APPEARED TO BE THAT WAY!! she tried to make me feel bad by saying the money could be spent on my son. I do everything for my 3 year old. I'm a single parent and I have him enrolled in private school. So she later asked why is insurance not paying for it. I explained to her that they just recently starting covering it.

Her response REALLY!!! WILL I QUALIFY? WHAT THE HELL!

SHE TRIED TO TALK ME OUT OF IT AND SAID SHE'S GONNA DO IT ON HER OWN BUT THEN ASKS THAT!!!!! I FEEL SHE DOESN'T WANT ME TO LOOSE WEIGHT

Joyful, no doubt when you have successfully had your surgery and are healthy your Mom will be happy. My guess is (speaking as a mother/grandmother) she has concerns that she and your child could lose you to an "elective" surgery. My daughter had a cosmetic procedure and I can tell you, I was not very supportive because I was concerned about the risks. She has children who could have been left motherliess. But after it was done, and she was just fine, I'm the first to say that I'm happy for her. If I had the same procedure, I would rationalize that MY children are raised. No jealousy... just we Mom's don't want to risk losing our children before they can take care of us in our old age. LOL And yes I understand, like we all do, that you are probably going to live longer because you have WLS... but still give a mother the choice of having her daughter around fat for say 20 more years vs. the remote chance she could die on the table, guess what we would choose????

Ok, so my surgery is scheduled for November 23. My plans were to not tell my mom but I did anyway. She talked down about it and was totally against it! OR SO IT APPEARED TO BE THAT WAY!! she tried to make me feel bad by saying the money could be spent on my son. I do everything for my 3 year old. I'm a single parent and I have him enrolled in private school. So she later asked why is insurance not paying for it. I explained to her that they just recently starting covering it.

Her response REALLY!!! WILL I QUALIFY? WHAT THE HELL!

SHE TRIED TO TALK ME OUT OF IT AND SAID SHE'S GONNA DO IT ON HER OWN BUT THEN ASKS THAT!!!!! I FEEL SHE DOESN'T WANT ME TO LOOSE WEIGHT

bless your heart! she is either jealous or super worried about you and the surgery. . . mom's have weird ways of showing things. . i didn't tell my mom right off. . . i had my sleeve for over 1 week and then told her. . . when i was leaving for the surgery (I knew i was going to be there for the next 4 days) I told her that hubbie daughter and myself were going to the coast for a few days for some vacation time and that i would call here once we were back. . . she accepted that lie and i had my sleeve and called her within a few days. . . when i told her she of course went all Drama Queen,but i told her that it was done already and it wouldn't change, so now i would just have to do the best i could with what was done. . . i tell her now how much i've lost and she says stuff like "your starving yourself" "aren't you afraid your going to lose too much" I remind her that i could have died being very heavy just as well as if i'll be too thin. . . that usually shuts her up? Anyhow don't feel guilty as she is trying to make you feel, ask how she would feel if you died from a heart attack or stroke cause your weight interfered with your life?