Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Model weight" - Sept. 2010 Allure mag

Has anyone gotten their hands on the September issue of "Allure" yet? I just got it in the mail yesterday and was reading an article in there titled "Model Weight." It's about this woman who, at the age of 47, claims to have lost 130 lbs in UNDER 4 months with diet and exercise.

I am EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL.

If anyone else has seen this article, what's your opinion? Do you believe that a middle-aged individual who's been overweight and then obese for decades can lose more than 30 lbs a month consistently for 4 months to get down to a sample size - with just diet and exercise? Especially someone who confesses to multiple failed attempts to lose weight before?

Hogwash...

maybe she forgot to mention that the "diet" portion of her "diet and exercise" regime consisted entirely of methamphetamine

maybe she forgot to mention that the "diet" portion of her "diet and exercise" regime consisted entirely of methamphetamine

I love it!!! Excellent observation! ROTFLMAO

I think I'm gonna write an angry e-mail to Allure to chastise them for feeding their readers BS. Lisalu, mind if I use that quote of yours? LOL.

It's just like with John Goodman. His claiming to lose 150 lbs. by diet and exercise. Yeah, let's see......isn't he about 60?

It's just like with John Goodman. His claiming to lose 150 lbs. by diet and exercise. Yeah, let's see......isn't he about 60?

I don't know much about John Goodman, other than having heard about his weightloss on the forum. Now, I don't doubt that it's entirely possible to lose 100+ lbs via diet and exercise - I know 2 people in real life who've done it, and one of them is over 60 (he did Optifast). However, neither of these people is SKINNY - they both could definitely lose another 30-50 lbs - AND they've lost it over a much longer period of time, more like a year. It's the 4 months and sample size thing that screams "BS!" to me.

blackberryjuice: of course. I don't make witty comments that often--I'd like them to get as much circulation as possible.

i don't believe it either, it is extremely difficult....plus that age your metabolism is much slower and 4 months is too little time, maybe if she had said 8 or more months.....would've been more believable.

Oh sure, I'll go ahead and believe it, but like Lisalu, I agree there are definitely important details that they "forgot" to mention. Like how the diet portion included certain "supplements", or that the last 40 lbs came off with Lipo and plastics, or maybe that this person is doing like Starr Jones ones did and calling wls "medical intervention" without admitting to wls. I haven't read the article, I only read O and Glamour because they use a wide range of models not just death-bone chic.

Oh I beleive it's POSSIBLE. Given enough incentive, you could starve and exercise that much weight off in that periold of time. BUT ours will remain off in 5 years, how about hers? I'm betting she'll regain that weight plus in less time than it took her to lose it. Been there, done that, could sell the t-shirts.

Theory # 2: She had a hundred and thirty pound tumor they removed. I think I saw something like that on Discovery Health.

I don't think it is possible to lose 130 lbs in 4 months if your ending weight is low-normal. The only people I have seen lose 30+ lbs a month over 4 months have had about 200 to lose.

Could she have had undiagnosed severe diabetes? Unlikely. I think it's your basic sham.

I think it is possible. That averages out to about 32 pounds a month, however, the bigger question is this:

HOW MANY MONTHS WILL IT TAKE HER TO GAIN IT BACK? I'm guessing just under 4 months, as well.

I've lost 30 lbs in the last 2 months without exercise, (not bragging, just lazy), I haven't "dieted" I just basically eat sensibly in the portions my stomach allows. I did not have any preop diet, except nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery, and I'm 56 years old. Now if I had really followed a strict diet, exercised my butt off (literally), and been 20 something years old, I have no doubt I could lose 35 lbs a month. Drastic yes, but possible. Losing weight (presurgery) was never terribly hard for me, it was keeping it off that was the challenge I could not master.

My band and now my sleeve gave me that confidence that I can finally keep weight off long term.