Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just one peek.... what could it hurt.

Don't do it, don't do it....

I've been doing great and dropping weight consistently. Happy as a tuna in a can until this morning....

I was scrubbing the bathroom floor like a madman and got to where the scale is. After cleaning the thing I thought, "Hmmm.... I'll just take a peek..." (since I seem to be the only one that cleans the damn thing). So I stepped on...

Big mistake....

A little background. Up to this point I have been religious about weighing myself once a week on the same day at the same time and that's it! That is until this morning...

Up 3lbs. GAWK!!! spoiled my whole morning.

I had to remind myself why I only do it once a week. I can go up and down 5 lbs in the same day. Up 2 down 4, etc... Drive myself crazy if I let myself obsess over it.

I had to laugh at myself and thought I would share with you all and hope others can relate.

Will

I know that temptation must have been hard to ignore. Don't let it get you down ... you were probably fully clothed, already had liquids and/or food, etc. When's the official weigh-in for the week?

You are making good progress just keep your head down and your rear off the scale :)

I usually weigh myself first thing on Friday morning to give myself a smile over the weekend.

I had also eaten some salty prosciutto over the weekend so it's probably just Water weight.

I should of known better but I gave in to temptation. So no more peeking for me.

I get too scale obsessed. lol

:)

Will

Edited by citizenwill
typo

I went on vacation for a week with no scale. I thought of packing it, but on a plane? OK no I'm not that obsessed. So I lived without the scale for a week. It was a relief to me. Thinking now the scale needs to go on vacation.

Lost a lb that week though - which was a success considering how much we ate out.

It is sooooo hard not to weigh all the time but stories like this remind me why i have to stay off that dang scale. LOL

the scale makes me crazy too. It can ruin my whole day. I try to only weight once a month... I did great last month... but I did the same as you this month and "cheated" a bit.

Now... of course... I am miserable and obsessede and convinced I will be overweight forever because I stayed the same weight for a week. I was so happy last month without that stupid number ruling my thoughts and mood.

Thats it.... the scale is going into the trunk of my car!!!!!

Will, i was wondering how you were doing! Sorry to see the scale knocked ya for a loop but your progress is amazing.

we need one of those warning announcements sometimes:

PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!

hehe

the scale makes me crazy too. It can ruin my whole day. I try to only weight once a month... I did great last month... but I did the same as you this month and "cheated" a bit.

Now... of course... I am miserable and obsessede and convinced I will be overweight forever because I stayed the same weight for a week. I was so happy last month without that stupid number ruling my thoughts and mood.

Thats it.... the scale is going into the trunk of my car!!!!!

I'm trying to make it for a month without weighing this time. I'm at about 2 weeks right now. It's tough but I got so upset last time when I had only lost two pounds after my first stall. It's best I stay away for now. My clothes size is definitely decreasing so that's keeping my spirits up.

Edited by educationrulz
typing error

Just one peek at the scale is a bit like being a little pregnant for me--not possible. It sends me right back into my obsessive behavior.

I had surgery on 6/30/10. I weighed myself whenever possible for the first two weeks (I don't own a scale so that meant special trips to the gym). I got discouraged by my slow loss so I decided to wait until Aug 1st. That helped. I planned to weigh just once a month but tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment and I know they will weigh me. I hope it doesn't put me into a tailspin.

The psychologist in my program told me: "Don't be a hero." He meant to do anything with my exercise or diet that I couldn't sustain in the long run. Sure I could fast completely and work out in the gym 8 hours a day (well at least, theoretically), but that is NOT sustainable for me. So I'm trying to follow my programs guidelines and not worry about the rest.

This is a great thread - I made my Husband take our scale and hide it in the garage because I was so OCD about my weight. He brings it in on Sunday night so I can weigh myself on Monday morning. It goes back to the hiding spot for the rest of the week. I weighed this week and dropped 3.5 pounds and have been smiling ever since. The daily ups and downs were very discouraging for me...........This works much better for my overall mental state..........

And here was me thinking that I was the only person who did this lol

I hop on the scales every day and that is more to keep me in check with what I might eat as opposed to stressing out about what the scales say.

I havent lost any more weight in the last 3 months and I think I will have to change my exercise routine to give the body a kick start to budge those kg's that I still want to loose.

Ruth :thumbup:

I would think that you should weigh yourself once a week, if your weight is creeping up, it would be easy to fix. Alot can happen in a month! Just my thought...

Perhaps I will weigh once a week when I'm closer to goal, but for now it doesn't make sense for me. I'm following my program's guidelines to a T. I'm eating between 400 and 800 calories a day and exercising to my ability. I'm not "cheating" on anything. Weighing myself more will just discourage me and won't change my behavior. I'm a slow loser probably because I'm short (a pound is more on my frame) and because I'm a lightweight. Once a month means my weight loss accumulates enough for me to be pleased each time I step on the scale.

I'm nervous about going to the Dr today. I picked my lightest-weight clothes today. For god's sake, I almost didn't wear a particular pair of undies because I thought they weighed too much. (Hmmm, do I have OCD tendencies?)

I'll write after the appointment.

It is dangerous to weigh yourself outside of a formatted timeframe!

I wear light clothing, and weigh at the exact same time of day every other day. I do not eat or drink before doing so as well. Something I've learned over the many years of dieting! I can lose so much wind in my sails when I have a moment of weakness and step on the scale when I already had first thing in the morning, after my morning tinkle and before coffee even standing next to nekkid. Ok, TMI sure - but that's how I roll!

Anyway, when I go outside this routine and I see I'm up a few pounds I really beat myself up. I try super hard not to weigh myself any other time! It brings me way down.