Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On Soft Foods so ... Tomatos?

I really really REALLY want an heirloom Tomato. If I pick out all the seeds and cut it up, can it be considered a soft food? PLEASE?!

My program said no raw fruits or veggies until 3 months post-op so you may want to check if raw veggies are considered soft foods with your dietary guidelines.

It's incredible how all dr's are different. I am allowed fruits and vegetables after a month. I asked him the reason to not having them sooner (I like to know the why behind the what) anyhow, he said that many veggies are fibrous and we don't want to risk getting an ulceration if something gets stuck. But he told me that after a month, I can eat anything as long as I am sticking to the 4 oz, Protein first, and eating every 3 hours.

So, ask your dr. or NUT as their guidelines may be completely different than any of ours.

I'm with the above mentioned my Dr/Nut said no raw veggies or fruit for like 3 or 4 months but I am a total Tomato freak also, I know that its not an heirloom tomato but try some Tomato Soup, or if you are really ambitious try making some tomato Soup from that heirloom tomato (oooo yummy now you got me thinking I may just have to do that tonight) :)

I am 7 weeks and have been eating my home grown tomatoes for 3 weeks with no problem

ARGH, thanks guys but, any way you slice it (ha ha) I just shouldn't eat a Tomato for another couple of weeks. Problem is, by then I will be out of the country and by the time I come back I will have missed the heirloom tomato season. =(

I've tried to introduce: split pea Soup, a taste of clam chowder, french onion soup, a scrambled egg, and now the ricotta bake. Am I on the right track for mushies/softs? Any more ideas for that category?

globetrotter, it's your brain talking, not your tummy. . . . you really DONT want that tomatoe. . . it's going to hurt, and i mean hurt! I'm 7 months out and tried salad the other day. . . good lord, why did i do that i have no idea. . . your just craving, drink water! how about tomatoe juice? ???? ummmm maybe or V8? just a thought. . .your doing great so far. . . keep up the great work

I personally agree with Thinoneday. I'm only 4 months out, and I tried a salad the other day of just romaine lettuce and tomatoes. I chewed it to death...till it was almost liquid. The Tomato I had peeled, cause I knew better than to try to digest a peel. But the acid from the tomato got to me. I was in real pain for a couple of days.

My Dr. said no raw veggies for 6 months. But I thought I could handle it !!! When will I realize that he knows more about this stuff than I do? !!!

I would try to make Tomato basil Soup with the heirloom tomato. There are recipes out there....

But the basics is steam and peel the tomatoes, put in blender and blend.

Strain to get out seeds and mix with some fat free evaporated milk, or fat free half and half.....season to taste....

If you want basil and garlic put that in the blender with tomatoes.

For mushy/soft....I have been pureeing all sorts of Soups.....from italian wedding style to steak and veggie soups....

I also made a pit of lentils, and blended some to the consistency of refried Beans....

get creative with the blender....