Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'd like to share my experience after 2 weeks of gastric plication

Hi Everyone that has had Plication or does this surgery, this is probably a DUH-stupid question, but I feel the need to ask it anyway. Do any of you still have the shakey, hunger that feels like low blood sugar? Or is that what supressing the Ghrelin hormone does, keeps you full a whole lot longer due to size of small size of stomach-so you don't get the "low blood sugar feeling"? I find that I have a few types of hunger/cravings. There are "cravings" because one might be bored, happy, sad, tempted, or just flat out want to have something-trying to work on these : ) and have come a long way. Then there is HUNGER. It could be a growling stomach, it could be that famished feeling like you could eat 6 tacos, then there could be the weak, shaky hunger, when you've ignored your hunger for too long. I found when I was on Phentermine, it blocked that shakey, low blood sugar hunger, where as normally I couldn't go more than a few hours without atleast a snack. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!

Amy, I have low blood sugar but have not had any problems yet. Doesn't mean I won't, though. I have been very hungry, real hunger with my stomach growling. It sounds like I'm not the norm, because most people say they don't. The growling is a little uncomfortable in my tummy, but it doesn't take much food to stop it. I have been very disappointed about the hunger part of this, but It's still better than that awful feeling I used to have after I had pigged out the night before and felt like I had a food hangover. I'm hoping this will change once I'm on regular food. liquids have always gone right through me. I'm learning that everyone is so different. Joanie

Joanie,

I had the growling for the first 2 weeks...and LOUD!!! hear accross the room growling....it has gone down, my stomach still growls occasionally.

What I haven't felt is that anxious, red in the face, shaky hunger.....I stay pretty full, and I don't get the "need to eat" desperation I used to get. As a matter of fact my husband sometimes reminds me to eat, or he'll say you need to eat, because he can see my face turning red (always a sign I needed to eat, I also have low blood sugar).

Last night after workout, I was starving...I hadn't felt that since before surgery, so I made myself a taco, and heated up some Soup.....I saw my husband grinning but didn't pay attention. I ate 1/2 the taco and a few sips of Soup, and marched back into the kitchen....my husband just started laughing, he's all "I knew you weren't going to eat ALL that, but I knew you were starving!"....amazing!

before I would have eaten 3 tacos, the whole thing of soup, and still looked around for something else.....

So even when I am hungry, it doesn't take much to fill up!

It gets easier.....

Joanie,

I had the growling for the first 2 weeks...and LOUD!!! hear accross the room growling....it has gone down, my stomach still growls occasionally.

What I haven't felt is that anxious, red in the face, shaky hunger.....I stay pretty full, and I don't get the "need to eat" desperation I used to get. As a matter of fact my husband sometimes reminds me to eat, or he'll say you need to eat, because he can see my face turning red (always a sign I needed to eat, I also have low blood sugar).

Last night after workout, I was starving...I hadn't felt that since before surgery, so I made myself a taco, and heated up some soup.....I saw my husband grinning but didn't pay attention. I ate 1/2 the taco and a few sips of Soup, and marched back into the kitchen....my husband just started laughing, he's all "I knew you weren't going to eat ALL that, but I knew you were starving!"....amazing!

before I would have eaten 3 tacos, the whole thing of soup, and still looked around for something else.....

So even when I am hungry, it doesn't take much to fill up!

It gets easier.....

Thanks CK. That is so encourgaging to know.

Hi everybody:

I'm now 5 weeks post operation ,I'm so excited about my new weight I've lost 13 kilos so far and I can eat everything now but in little portions .....I'm so happy for everyone who had vertical plication and is satisfied with the results.

I realy feel so comfortable here in this forum coz I'm not the only one who had this surgery,I sometimes feel sorry when I find people attacking this surgery while knowing little about it.

Thanks Dr Watkins for your support & for making us feel better about our surgery

I'm Looking forward to hearing how it all went for everyone who had plication.

Hi everybody:

I'm now 5 weeks post operation ,I'm so excited about my new weight I've lost 13 kilos so far and I can eat everything now but in little portions .....I'm so happy for everyone who had vertical plication and is satisfied with the results.

I realy feel so comfortable here in this forum coz I'm not the only one who had this surgery,I sometimes feel sorry when I find people attacking this surgery while knowing little about it.

Thanks Dr Watkins for your support & for making us feel better about our surgery

We are excited for you Sarah! I love this forum and can't wait for my new post surgery stomach! It looks like you've lost about 29 lbs!

Hi everybody:

Sarah, contratulations on your weight loss! You should be so proud of yourself. I'm with you, I tried to put in my "informed" two cents on OH, but they didn't want to hear it. They just don't want to hear how the plication can be as good or better than their sleeves. I'll just stay right here in our little corner of the world for now.

Sarah, Joanie....

Couldn't agree more. The folks at OH do get a little territorial and catty in my mind.....I still visit and have made some really good support buddies. But in general, the blind attacks to anyone who had this surgery are too much for me sometimes! I love having our little forum to discuss progress etc.....

Frankly lately the stories on OH and the VSG forum, have confirmed that this was the surgery for me, no leaks, no weird complications, and I am pretty much back to normal.....in 1/2 the time.....I just eat way way less.....

Yup this a nicer and smaller forum, much more cosy and friendly IMHO.

Jane x

Sarah, Joanie....

Couldn't agree more. The folks at OH do get a little territorial and catty in my mind.....I still visit and have made some really good support buddies. But in general, the blind attacks to anyone who had this surgery are too much for me sometimes! I love having our little forum to discuss progress etc.....

Frankly lately the stories on OH and the VSG forum, have confirmed that this was the surgery for me, no leaks, no weird complications, and I am pretty much back to normal.....in 1/2 the time.....I just eat way way less.....

Oh! and in now way do I mean to put down traditional VSG surgery, it's just that for me plication was the route for a healthier me.....no matter which procedure anyone chooses, it should be the one they find best fits them.....

Amen Sister! To each his or her own.. BUT KNOWLEDGE IS POWER! How can you get what you want (or don't want-in my case) when you don't know-what you don't know.. THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING (thank you for helping me side step the band slippages, slimies, etc.) :)

Here's to smaller stomachs and BIGGER LIVES! :)

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Thanks for all you have shared about the gastric sleeve plication. I am scheduled for Sept 1, 2010 with Dr. Corvala in TJ. I can't wait to start this adventure. I listened to the webinar yesterday that he had re: the plication. It was very helpful. My biggest worry is gastric reflux. Have many of you had problems with that? I plan to return to work 7 days post op, is that reasonable? My job is at a desk but I am up and down a lot. What do you think? I will continue to share with you my experiences! Thanks again everyone.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. Thanks for all you have shared about the gastric sleeve plication. I am scheduled for Sept 1, 2010 with Dr. Corvala in TJ. I can't wait to start this adventure. I listened to the webinar yesterday that he had re: the plication. It was very helpful. My biggest worry is gastric reflux. Have many of you had problems with that? I plan to return to work 7 days post op, is that reasonable? My job is at a desk but I am up and down a lot. What do you think? I will continue to share with you my experiences! Thanks again everyone.

Congrats on your decision! I had the plication on July 16th with Dr. C also. Everything went without a hitch. If you know any Mexican, great. If you don't, its not a big deal. They know basic words and if they don't know what you are talking about ask if someone else knows more English. The Dr's know English perfectly. It's a beautiful hospital and very, very clean. Do you have trouble with acid reflux now? You will be given a nutrition sheet and it will tell you take something for that. Like Nexium or Previcid.

Good luck in your new adventure. Feel free to e-mail or ask any questions.

Julie:001_rolleyes:

Hi

I had the same procedure with Dr. C on July 12. No problems and excellent facility. If there is a negative, it is that follow-up care is non-existent. They don't return e-mails or phone calls. I went to my family Dr. this week about an incision that still wasn't healed. I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. (Dr. C. didn't charge any extra to repair)....so I really can't be too negative about them....I would do it again, just do my own research on follow-up care.

With the h. hernia, Dr. C. said I would probably have some reflux....NONE !!!!! As long as I took my prescribed nexium twice a day for the 1st month.

I felt "normal" on day 10....but if your work isn't terrible physical, I think you will be okay on day 7. Just be sure to prepare your liquid "foods" for work.

My other tip is to stay all 3 nights. Don't try to cut your stay to 2 nights. You will have to pay the plane-change fee and you will be amazed what a difference another 24 hours of rest and healing does for your body.

Another tip, buy your meds at the hospital as opposed to a town pharmacy...no difference in price and easier and safer.

Take immodium and gas X tongue strips with you. Diahrea is very common after surgery.

Pack extremely light. Take a lap-top, you can skype if you want. I went by myself and did fine. Dr. C's staff and driver are excellent. You don't need pesos. The only cash I used was to tip Mr. C's driver. The rest is with credit card.

Expect gas pains....they are by far worse than incision pain. However, time passes quickly and you will be thru that difficult phase before you know it.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions. K.B.