Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2006 Band Crew ~ June Chat

:welcomeB:

This marks the official beginning of the May 2006 Band Crew for June. It will be great to keep up with those we've come to know and get to know those who were banded in May and just joining LBT. Everyone is welcome!!

Don't get left behind.....jump in and enjoy the ride!!

post-204398-13813133685212_thumb.jpg

post-205997-1381313346962_thumb.gif

I found my way over....but 3lv's....your link didn't work.....I left another link for everyone...so hopefully, they can find their way here.

hugs....diane : )

I'm still having a lot of pain in my shoulder and discomfort breathing......from this heart inflamation......my lapband is the least of my worries...that is doing just great. When it rains....it pours... :girl_hug:

hugs....diane

I posted this over on the old thread, but then I realized that we had moved so I am posting it here just in case...sorry to be repetitive, but I made myself look stupid and I felt the need to clear it up.

Again, THANK YOU for all the support!!

Mandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniMandy

I am drinking the Atkin's Protein shakes for Breakfast (1/2 a shake at a time) and trying to have a Soup or "full-solid" for lunch each day...usually about 1/2 to 1 cup at a time. For dinner last night I had some mashed potatoes and that felt really good. When should I quit with the shakes and Soups? If I am OK with mushies now, isn't that better for me? Any advice?

After reading the replies I realized that I made a typo...I meant "full-liquid"...like solid-colored liquid, Soups, liquidy potatoes, etc...which is exactly what my doc said I should be doing. I guess it must have sounded pretty crazy to say solids...what can I say? If my biggest mistake 5 days after surgery is a typo then I must be in good shape.

I asked Dr. Spivak about my instructions several times because I noticed that they were very different than what I was reading on here, but he assured me that this is the plan he wants me on...other Spivak patients can chime in and back me up...

Dr. Spivak said to only do "liquids" for 2 or 3 days at the most and then move on to "soft" foods. For Dr. Spivak, a soft/mushy diet is recommended for 4 weeks and then a transition to a regulated diet of 3 solid meals a day. For soft foods, he recommended mashed potatoes, cooked soft vegetables, baked fish, etc... I don't think I am ready for meat yet, but the cooked mushy foods feel fine and I have not had any trouble.

I was mainly concerned that I am still drinking liquid meals for Breakfast and was wondering if I should try to get off the liquids completely. This is because I am not a big breakfast eater and I am usually not hungry in the mornings...so it is easier to drink a shake. At any rate, I talked to them yesterday and they suggested that I try to eat a small scrambled egg this morning and chew it very well...which I did about 2 1/2 hours ago and I feel a lot better this morning than I have previous mornings.

Anyhow, thanks for the concern and the advice...It was just a typo and I promise I am nowhere near ready to try any real solids yet...just trying to figure out what degree of mushiness I need.

This is a great idea since we are all on basically the same level of recovery and share the same 'pains'....;-)

My instructions for the first two weeks is anything you can drink through a straw..including cream Soups if they are strained. Well, I strained some potato Soup and added a little Carb Conscious fat free milk to thin it. BIG MISTAKE! Wretched feeling and a slightly painful sensation on my left upper abdomen. It also seemed to make me dehydrated...kept drinking Water but still felt 'dry' mouthed.

Today it will be clear all day. Sigh....this isn't as easy as I thought it would be.

Janey

I am 9 days out and started on mushies Thursday night. I was SO hungry. I felt so much better after eating mushies. I have had no problems with them at all.

3loves- I was really tired after going out the first few times. At this point I do fine but I am sore by the end of the day as well as wiped out. I think that is normal.

Diane- I hope your viral pericarditis gets better fast

Mandy- I knew what you meant when you said full solids. I figured you meant liquids like mushies. I HAD to start on them after a week. I was in pain from eating thin liquids. I started healing faster after starting mushies. I feel tons better. I am like you in the mornings though, I do a shake too. I don't think it hurts anything.

Mandy..thanks for reminding me to drink Water, I never seem to do the complete 64 oz.

I also had a scrambled egg early on and it did fill me and gave me more energy. A few days after I started the egg, I added 1oz of cheese and had it melt............oh so ggod and filling at the same time..........try, I thin you'll like it.

Can I ask a question??? I was banded May 26th. I'm 9 days out.

After eating or drinking I feel a slight pain/soreness/pressure on my upper left side under my boob. I don't know if it's my band or port or what. Toward the end of the day, I feel it too. It isn't bad, just annoying. Is this normal??? It's my only pain at this point. I don't have to take pain meds for it. All my incisions looks good. No PB's yet. I'm just curious to see if anyone knows what this is.

Sorry guys if the link wasn't working from the original thread....not sure what happened. :phanvan

Diane ~ Still praying for you and I do hope your pain is getting better. Are you getting enough rest or are you still taking care of everyone else? Put yourself first right now so you can heal and cook your little Buns off!!

Mandy ~ I came home from the hospital on full liquids. You still need to follow your docs instructions though. IMO shakes are fine for Breakfast and the most important thing is to be sure to get all your Protein. I was drinking a shake on my way to church this AM....didn't have time to sit and eat. I will probably be like that most Sundays.

Sister ~ It could be gas moving around. I had shoulder pain last week just about every time I ate. I told the surgeon and they wanted me to contact them if it didn't go away by Fri. So far so good. It's only a phone call.....I would recommend giving them a ring.

Hi everybody,

My surgery on the 31st went great!!! I have been home since Thursday and doing well. A little sore but all in all good.

Were my port is the cut is larger then I thought it would be :cry but I will get over that.

The week before surgery my weight was 295, day of surgery it was 287.

I am so happy to be on this side of the banding.

Sisterfunk-I think the deeling, or lump, is your swollwn stomach/pouch. I know I experienced that for almost 4 full weeks..especially after I ate or drank anything full-liquid like. My Campbells Soup at Hands at work made me bloat and full tennis ball like, for almost 2 hours afterward. Now it has almost completely dissapeared.

i am considering going bank to liquids to see what that does for a week. Just curious as to how much weight I would lose, if any. I figure I should get used to doing that occasionally to jump start my weight-loss when I plateau.

Well, all, thanks for putting this thread here...Hurray, Hurray, Hurray for May!!!! Hope everyone is healthy and wise this week!

I realize most of us have the Inamed band...Did your doctor give you a booklet on the kind of diet/foods to be eating at the appropriate time? The information I was given from the dietician was a bit more lenient than the booklet(thank goodness!). There is a disclaimer in the booklet that says,"The following information is meant to be an overview. Be sure you know the instructions your doctor wants you to follow." Inamed recommends a liquid diet for the first 1-2 weeks-clear broth, skim milk, fruit juice, and no-sugar popcicles. 3-4 weeks-pureed chicken or fish, mashed potatoes, peas, and lowfat yogurt or pudding. 5 weeks-soft foods-tender cooked fish and ground turkey. I'm sure almost everyone has a different plan according to their doctor/dietician and most of us are onto the soft foods by the 2-3 week post-op. Some of us have/will get the first fill by the 4th week.

So what I guess I'm trying to say is try to stick to what your doctor has prescribed for you as much as possible. Don't feel bad if others move ahead onto different foods before you. And don't push yourself into the next level without consulting your doctor. We'll all get there eventually, just like we all finally got banded in May, whether it was the 1st or the 31st or anywhere in between! Just know that "This too, shall pass", the soreness, pain, trapped gas etc...If you are having a hard time getting in your Water, try other low/non caloric drinks. Most doctors say it's okay to have Crystal Light and I'm hooked on the Lipton Green Tea Citrus and Mixed berry flavors! Maybe even try a bit of lemon in your Water. Sometimes it's something so simple to help you get it down.

And one last thing, thanks to everyone who has encouraged, prayed, and offered advice or hints for us. It is all so appreciated. HERE'S TO JUNE!!!

Hey Chicas!

I'm glad to hear that everyone is doing well and came through surgery like champs! I am almost 5 weeks out and had my first fill last Tuesday. I am doing great. I gained back 5 pounds from what I lost on the liquid phase when I started mushies but have since lost 4 of that since my fill. I guess 4 pounds in a week isn't so bad! I am just so ready to start seeing more drastic results though. I am down a size in shirts already, to a 22/24 and can now fit very comfortably in a size 22 pants. Some are even too loose! The first place I noticed loss was in my feet of all places. I'm hoping to get out of wide shoes before too long. I can now also take my wedding ring off without greasing myself up... pretty cool!

My bday is coming up soon, June 20. I will be 31 and am excited that this year marks a new me and a new way of life. I feel like I have so much more to look forward to now that I am working on getting healthy. My husband and I are planning on adopting a couple of kiddos here in the next year and for the first time I am not afraid that I won't be able to keep up and play with my kids like I want to be able to do. I know it sounds cheesey but I really feel like I have been given my life back. Each day is a gift that I am finally starting to feel worthy of.

Keep up the good work my friends!

Peace.

First of all, I am really glad that the soreness has gone away. I was banded on May 10, and I just went back to work last Thursday. It took almost that long for me to be able to wear a bra because of the pain I had under my right breast from the muscle being sore. I have been doing well with eating, I haven’t had any problems with eating anything, as a matter of fact, I don’t even eat until I’m full because I don’t want to “PB” and I get tired of chewing! :rolleyes: I will admit that I didn’t think I was ready to go out and eat in public. I attended a graduation two weeks ago, and of course when we Celebrate anything we celebrate with food, so the decided to go out and eat Chinese food. I had already turned down a lunch date with a friend a couple of days before, so I wasn’t sure if I was going to go. Well I went after all, when we got to the restaurant I just ordered my food to go and ate from the container. Just as I expected there were a million and one questions, but I had no problem answering them. I just don’t want to have to explain myself all the time. This had proven to be an interesting experience and my roommate keeps saying “and you knew all this before you did it”. I never said it would be easy…but I’m willing to see it through!:nervous