Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision in one operation or two??

Gotcha. Still horse of a different color. I wouldn't imagine they would approve you after the fact and in light of the above circumstances.

Jill

That's what I thought. I figured going in I'd have that to pay if we went this route.

I now have to have the band and sleeve in 2 surgeries -- so not happy

ya i know i am in the same boat, it is for your health, depending on your band complications it cannot be done in one surgery (and especially if your banded erroded into the tissues that is a definite no) and sometimes the surgeon can't tell till you are on the OR table....band to sleeve leak complications are 5xs higher because of the band, make sure you have a good dr to do the sleeve-hope everyone does well....

ya i know i am in the same boat, it is for your health, depending on your band complications it cannot be done in one surgery (and especially if your banded erroded into the tissues that is a definite no) and sometimes the surgeon can't tell till you are on the OR table....band to sleeve leak complications are 5xs higher because of the band, make sure you have a good dr to do the sleeve-hope everyone does well....

I was fortunate enough to have it done in one surgery. BUT I knew going in that there was a possibility that I could come out without my band and not being sleeved. He would not be able to make the determination until during surgery.

I think that's why I really wasn't excited about having my surgery before hand; I was expecting the worst (well not the VERY worst, LOL). I needed to have a hiatal hernia repair, my band was uselss with the severity of that condition. My first choice was to keep the band and repair the hernia; second choice to repair the hernia, remove the band, and VSG. But there was the very real possibility of hernia repair, band removal only.

I'm still not "excited" that I've had VSG. I don't think I had prepared myself enough for this option. I feel like I'm "mourning" my lost stomach. LOL I have no one that I know personally who has had this done. I have several banded relatives and friends, there's comfort in that. I had lurked and posted here a bit before my surgery, but I just don't think I was really "committed" to this option. For those of you who are, I think you will feel much more optimistic. I'm sure in time as I see results and am beyond the healing portion I will be much happier about the outcome.

true -- however, I will get an endoscopy so the doc can see the insides - but even thought I am a starving loon and so want to start my weight loss again, it's better then dying becasue of a revision gone bad. so my doc is conservative - rather have that then the other.

true -- however, I will get an endoscopy so the doc can see the insides - but even thought I am a starving loon and so want to start my weight loss again, it's better then dying becasue of a revision gone bad. so my doc is conservative - rather have that then the other.

The endoscopy can show erosion or other issues inside of the stomach. But not necessiarily its condition outside where the band is placed. It can tell him/her for sure that it will take two surgeries. But if all appears good from that study, there can still be things that aren't seen that can affect the outcome for those thinking they may have just one surgery. Surgeons have their own experience and comfort zones and hopefully our best interest at heart. I hope yours goes well and you are on the road to weight loss soon.