Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision in one operation or two??

Was your band to sleeve revision done as a band removal first followed by a subsequent VSG to allow your stomach tissue to heal? Or were you able to have it done in one operation? If the latter, how long did your surgeon want your band empty so that the tissue could relax as much as possible before surgery?

I guess that the risks of leaks are higher with the single operation method because the tissue is more fragile and there may be more scar tissue from the band. But the alternative involves being put under twice (each time is a risk, plus pain!), and you're highly likely to be gaining (potentially a lot of) weight during that interim period. My surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, and I'm hoping if I get the band emptied right beforehand, that would help the healing and prevent the weight gain. But is that a safe plan? :)

it really depends on your band issues, if you are not vomiting, etc then it can be done in one surgery, if not then you have to have the band out first -wait and heal then get the sleeve-that is the boat i am in...

My band was was unfilled for over 6 months...I had the revision surgery and removal done at the same time. Each of us is different and you should really follow your doctor's recommendation. I knew it was possible that when Dr. Aceves started my removal that he might not be able to do the revision if I had too much damage. I didn't and he was able to proceed..

Wishing you good luck

My surgeon wanted it in one surgery, but insurance couldn't qualify in time since I had to have emergency surgery to have it out.

my revision was done with just one surgery. my band was never fully emptied since my doctor didn't want to risk it slipping before surgery. i had about 3ccs in my band when i had my revision done.

i didn't have to do a liquid diet at all before my surgery. i only had to do liquids for the 24 hrs before surgery.

My band was removed at the time my sleeve was done. Dr. Aceves is very experienced at doing band to sleeve revisions and almost never does it in 2 steps.

I had one operation with the following "laundry list" done:

Band Removed (was unfilled the week before surgery)

Sleeve done (I was self-pay for this part)

Hiatal Hernia repaired (didn't know about this until he was in there)

Gall Bladder Removed (this was planned - insurance pd for)

Adhesions from previous surgeries removed

I didn't have any problems except for a hematoma where my port had been. Blood pooled there, the incision opened up, doc drained and cleaned it, then it healed from the inside out. This had nothing to do with having all the procedures at once though. It's just something that happens sometimes from the port being in your body for so long (had it 4 yrs).

As far as I know, I am having it all done at once, which is Monday!! My Band will be removed, hiatal hernia repaired and then the Sleeve....at least that is my hope.

Jill

my doc want 2 but I said no way -- so we'll do an endoskopy to make sure no erosion, etc -- and empty band - then if the tissue is OK he can do in one - otherwise 2 -- I won't know what the outcome will be until I wake up.

Was your band to sleeve revision done as a band removal first followed by a subsequent VSG to allow your stomach tissue to heal? Or were you able to have it done in one operation? If the latter, how long did your surgeon want your band empty so that the tissue could relax as much as possible before surgery?

I guess that the risks of leaks are higher with the single operation method because the tissue is more fragile and there may be more scar tissue from the band. But the alternative involves being put under twice (each time is a risk, plus pain!), and you're highly likely to be gaining (potentially a lot of) weight during that interim period. My surgeon requires a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, and I'm hoping if I get the band emptied right beforehand, that would help the healing and prevent the weight gain. But is that a safe plan? :thumbup1:

Let your doctor advise you on what's best in YOUR case. Sometimes (in my case) that isn't determined until he can actually see what's in there (xray is helpful but not a substitute). Scar tissue won't go away because you have two separate surgeries. I would guess there could be more at the time of the second surgery because the band removal surgury is going to have it's own set of scars.

I'm glad mine could be done in one surgery because:

1, I was under anesthetic once instead of twice

2, only one recovery period (less work days missed)

3, once going through the pre and post op regimes

4, not having to deal with excess weight gain (therefore risk) between the two surgeries.

That being said, if the only SAFE way would have been with two surgeries, I would have done that. Actually I wouldn't have a choice, my doc will only do what is best for his patients' health. I suppose if it didn't matter I had a choice, I would prefer all in one.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ellisa

Mine was done in one op and having two separate ones was never discussed or considered. Only thing my surgeon said was that if he found he couldn't perform the revision he would just remove my band. I had mine done as open surgery though as I had a lot of scarring from a previous big abdominal hernia op a year earlier. My band had been empty for quite a while beforehand as it had slipped a lot so that wasn't an issue and I did have to follow another pre-op diet. My surgeon informed me of the risks and possible complications concerning revision and assured me he would do he best he could for me. I was happy with that and left myself in his hands as I trusted him implicitly.

I've been unfilled for 6 weeks and will be doing the revision in one surgery on Sept 7th. At that time I'll have been unfilled for 3 months - my doc right now just wants me to be as gentle as possible so that my stomach tissue is not stretched or inflamed when he gets in there.

Small meals, no vomiting, etc.

I've gained 25 lbs in the last 6 weeks ..... grrrrrr

Lynn this is awesome news. I hadn't seen that you'd gotten approved and a date! Don't worry about what you've gained. Trust me it will come off FAST. I gained 22 lbs. since my band was unfilled (around (Oct, most was taken out the, last 2 cc's a couple months prior to VSG), 17 lbs are off as of yesterday. Not giving you a licence to go for broke, LOL but don't stress about it. If you are able to maintain or lose a little I'm sure you know that will be all for the better with regard to your upcoming surgery. Happy to hear this news. And Sept is just around the corner. Can't believe how fast this summer has flown by!

yes unfortunelty once you have the band removed or deflated weight gain in inevitable, but what is more important is to make sure that area is ready to receive the sleeve, in the 15 months I have had problems i have gained 60 lbs, i no longer know who is in the mirror (have gone from a size 0/2 to a 14) so i understand about the weight gain. it would be great to have done it all in one, but for some (and all who have an eroded band) that can not be done at once, and actually the surgeon does not know till they are in there.....great success for all with everything they pic....

Thanks Ellisa - now that you mention it I don't know if I've "officially" posted my approval and surgery date! I'm so happy everything went through!