Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When I went for my 1-week post-op appointment with my surgeon, he had said that at about the 2-3 week mark I would feel fabulous .. 'conquer the world' sort of thing.

I am 6 weeks post-op and I am dealing with chronic tiredness. Is anyone else experiencing this? I realize my food intake is down dramatically but I am careful with what I eat - I stick to the Proteins, veggies and good carbs, lots of fluids, etc. I cannot seem to get enough sleep and still want a nap in the daytime. I don't consume any caffeine or sugar either.

Thoughts or ideas?

No but I'm 6.5 weeks out and feel the same. I have no energy to exercise. I get home from work and some days I'll take a nap for an hour or so.

I'm taking my Vitamins, getting in all my Protein plus some usually, getting in my fluids, etc.

Just had my labs done last week and all my Vitamin levels were good.

I don't know..maybe it's just taking us a little longer than others to rebound.

Thanks for your feedback. Your stats are close to mine .. from date of surgery, weight and weight loss .. and now you are feeling the same as I. I haven't done any post-op labs yet (will do in August, I believe) so I don't know those stats yet but it should be interesting.

I've heard from others that they feel so fabulous after 2-3 weeks so maybe our day is coming soon :)

I feel great first thing in the morning, but like goodlife, I can't hang. I get tired and have to take a nap. I also am going to bed earlier at night. I really have to force myself to get up and go walking when I feel run down. I have confidence in my surgeon, and he said it will improve.:)

I am two months post op and my energy is getting back to normal but the first month I really slogged through my day. I had my surgery in Mexico but have seen my internist in Philly twice and he just did bloodwork on me. My thyroid level ( I have taken meds for years) are a bit off and he things my weight loss has effected my levels and is changing my perscription.

As for excercise...I know this won't sound helpful....but I think you have to at least consider getting a 15 min walk in each day...I think it has helped me turn the corner. If you have cable tv....you might want to look at the ondemand options...there are even 1 and 2 miles walks on tv you can do in your home. For me..moving...keeps me moving....

Jerryvic .. I am like you. I am good in the morning and then I fade pretty rapidly as the day progresses. I have a management/desk job so I really try to get up every 30 min or so even if it's to cruise around the office .. get my blood circulating. I am really focusing on listening to my body's cues for hunger, fullness and tiredness and act accordingly.

Citygal .. I know you are right re: exercise (and trying to avoid an 'excuse' here .. ) but I find it even more hard to get in those 15 min post-op than pre-op. I know everyone's journey is different but I heard/read way more about the immediate 'fabulousness' of the energy post-op than the tiredness so I guess it came as a bit of a disappointment.

However, I shall remain optimistic as I feel completely blessed to have this opportunity to better myself through this surgery. Every day is a new opportunity.

I'm preop so I really don't know but my Mother was having trouble with energy levels and her DO suggested fish oil and more time in the sun so she could process her Vit D.

I'm preop so I really don't know but my Mother was having trouble with energy levels and her DO suggested fish oil and more time in the sun so she could process her Vit D.

Having a bit of a laugh - but not at your expense - but there is so little sun in Vancouver these days that is feels like November. Driving me nuts!

Fish oil .. I never thought of that. I was an avid fish oil consumer for 20 years but stopped a couple of months ago because of the surgery. I have a liquid form that I haven't tried yet but maybe I will give it a shot. I had planned to go back to it anyway so I may do it sooner rather than later. I never equated this oil with energy but there must be something to it as the fat works synergistically with your body.

CARBS. You folks need carbs (complex carbs, not sugars or starch).

Trust me on this. I think that a lot of folks on here are chronically carb-deprived because of the overall "carbs are evil" mentality. The reality is that without a readily-available source of blood sugar, you'll feel lethargic, blue, and tired.

Don't believe me?

Low carb and depression/anxiety:

A Case of the Re-Emergence of Panic and Anxiety Symptoms After Initiation of a High-Protein, Very Low Carbohydrate Diet -- Ehrenreich 47 (2): 178 -- Psychosomatics

Refuting the idea that you "have to be in ketosis" to lose weight with low-carb:

Ketogenic low-carbohydrate diets have no metabolic advantage over nonketogenic low-carbohydrate diets -- Johnston et al. 83 (5): 1055 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Ack, I'd post more, but I'm at work. Long story short: don't go crazy with the low-carb thing. Most studies have indicated that the primary benefit of low-carb diets is that they tend to be low calorie, too. So just watch your calories (and of course, follow your doc's guidelines) and you'll be good (and feel so much better if you don't cut out all of the carbs).

I am 4 weeks out today, and I am having the same problem. No energy. I don't know how not to go 100%, and I am finding myself useless by mid-day. I went to my primary today for blood work, and she gave me a B-12 shot. Maybe that will help! She mentioned that it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get back to normal.

I am almost 8 weeks now and only just now am I feeling a bit better in terms of energy. I see the personal trainer next week and will pick his brain about this lack of energy but I am sure it's a combination of lack of food vs. lack of exercise. It can only get better :)

There's also a chance you get depression after surgery, or hormone changes. That can cause tiredness. Trust me, I'm the queen of tired right now..i have both problems pre-op ;P hehe

I am 4 weeks out today, and I am having the same problem. No energy. I don't know how not to go 100%, and I am finding myself useless by mid-day. I went to my primary today for blood work, and she gave me a B-12 shot. Maybe that will help! She mentioned that it will take 6 to 8 weeks to get back to normal.

Let me know if you feel that B-12 shot works. Others have sworn by it.

I was at least 8 weeks out before I started feeling almost "normal" again. You have had major surgery, you have cut your calories to probably a third of what you had before, and you are probably not able to get in enough Protein or eat a balanced meal yet. That was my experience. As you heal up, and your body starts to adjust to the lower calorie intake, you really will start feeling better. Once I could eat a more balance meal (as was mentioned above, I do make sure to have some carbs as well) I started to revive again.