Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally sleeved with the best experience ever

:lol0:Well, I finally got sleeved yesterday in Carrollton TX. I chose Dr. Veninga and was just taken aback by the concern, caring and thought that this group showed towards myself (and doubter mom, that came along). I flew in from Atlanta on Sunday and stayed in Fort Worth so we could sightsee a bit before surgery. We went to appt on Monday for consult, brief tests, meet with nutritionist, etc. The head nurse at Dr. V's office is great. She helped me pull all of the details together for the surgery before I left and even helped with things like mapquest, etc. The consult with Dr. V blew me away. I have met with several docs in ATL and while some were better than others, he was by far the best. I wish I cold have him as my PCP at home. He even discussed such things as the evolution of being obese and while humans have such a compulsory need to "store" food. He was very frank in discussing the risks and possible complications in my revision surgery. We discussed many what ifs. And he put my mother at ease. She is one of those (Well I think you are beautiful, and you don't need this surgery) Dr. kindly showed her where I was on the BMI chart and the possibilities that lied in my future if I continued down this path. Also great sense of humor. Tme wise we went 1/2 hour over and was late to meet with their nutritionist/RN ( a former RNY patient). I promise I will get to surgery experience soon. Tuesday was preop tests and went quick and smooth. We were out with time to sightsee the Stockyards. Wed am, my DM was scheduled to fly back to ATL. Plan was to drop me off for surgery and then she go to airport and return car. She just turned 65 and hates atlanta traffic, so was panicked to drive in Dallas/ Fort Worth/ Carrollton traffic in strange town. So I dropped her off at AP, then the nurse nutritionist at Dr. V's office picked me up at the airport to drive me to hospital for Surgery. She insisted. From the beginning I never felt like a "number" here. When I was considering other Dr's in Tex and US for self pay, I did not feel the Dr's office was really being proactive. To be honest, I really did not know what to expect when I got there for the consult. I just prayed that I had made the right decision and put it in GOd's hands. Really just such wonderful people. Anyway- Surgery day- got to hospital early and Karen (RN) locked up all my personals in her office so I did not worry. I got to preop room early, so I had time to relax and mentally prepare. All the nurses were like " we are so excited for you"! Baylor Medical Center in Carrollton is a center for excellence and a large hospital at that. After Surgery I remeber Dr saying that everything went great. After that I was out of it, until I woke up about 6 pm, dying in pain. The pain meds they use are self medicated by the patient. You can hit the button once every 15 min. Well, if you are kind of out of it (as I was after surgery) its hard to wake yourself up to do this. After about 10 min of crying, they gave me a boost of pain meds and then I went back to the 15 min thing. Needless to say, I kept that little button in my hand the rest of the night. Woke up feeling like a million bucks, ok maybe a hundred bucks, but much better. Went for GI swallow as last test and no leaks. Started on liquids, released and I am spending my last couple of days recoop at hotel in Grapevine. I am so glad this day has come. This board has been a great tool and I will continue to post. Mostly I have just looked on my own, so I felt I owed a good post.

Yeah!!!

Congrtulations Jenny, that was a great story. I'm glad things went so smoothly praise God! I'll bet your mom is somewhat relieved too? So, I wish you continued success in your recovery and WL journey.

Congrats on your surgery keep sipping and walking and you will be fine.

Congrats! Sounds like everything went great!

I just love stories like that - good caring staff and doctors make such a difference. Glad things are going so well for you. Are you doing ok at the hospital by yourself? Make sure to track your meds and walk, sip, walk, sip.

Congratulations!

Thanks so much for all the support. I am just trying to do everything right so no leaks these first couple of weeks out. I have to have clears today, then liquids for 2 weeks before going to purees/softs, etc. I have lots of optifast- chix broth, Tomato, choc, etc which was included in my price. Serving has 15GProtein, but 20Carbs. Any opinions on calories and carb intake these first couple of weeks. i know bt/wn 60 and 70 G Protein, but have seen varying reports on the latter. Also , they had free happy hour at my hotel tonight with free wine, appetizers, etc. It was odd walking down there and not having anything. Even though I love my sleeve, you still revert to those thoughts.

For now, I wouldn't worry about the carbs ... your doctor gave you the products so I would assume they are ok for his plan. What were your instructions for nutrition?

Congratulations and welcome to the "other side".

I'm glad everything went well..and wish you a speedy recovery!

Congrats on getting your sleeve, and it's great that you had a wonderful experience. During the first couple of weeks, don't fret over carbs. Protein and staying hydrated. I didn't even have to worry about Protein the first couple of weeks, but it'll be wonderful if you can get it in.

Best wishes on a continued recovery. Sip, walk, rest and repeat.

Congratulations on having completed the sugrery phase of your "recovery" from obesity.

The first week was, for me, a little rougher than when I had the band. But I very quickly bounced back and by my one week doctor visit, I was in the best mood I'd been in for several years! And things just keep getting better.

I hope your stay in Texas is pleasant and it's great to know that we have another doctor in the D/FW area who is doing things right.

Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck!

Thanks again for all the support. My relatives are very supportive, but don't necessarily know the in's and out's of the surgery, etc. So nice to be able to discuss specifics on this board. I walked today at the malls for about 3 1/2 hours. Took some pain med with me. Tried the Isopure carb free fruit drink. I like it and only 8 oz. Will get this and muscle milk light along with Protein powder unflavored when I get back to ATL tomorrow.

On the pain side, how long did you guys have to use your pain meds. It seems I wake up with alot of pain in the morning. Also, was your stomach swollen? Mine seems to be a good bit, of course it was big before surgery! But it is swollen, and that is understandable, just wondering how long it took everybody else.

Also, how were your stitches, incisions closed? Mine were stitched on the inside and have the glue over them. I just let them be until the glue disappears. Maybe a month?

Congrats!! Good to hear you doing well. Sounds like your meds must be better than mine as theres no way I could go walking for that long yet.... but it'll happen.... keep up the good work

Kathy

Congrats and welcome! On incisions, mine healed in about 3 weeks, now they are very faint scratch looking scars. If you had a drain, that took a little longer but I am less than 5 week spost op and all are healed and barely visible.

Tiff is correct, concentrate on staying hydrated, you will have time later to count the carbs, calories, fat, etc. If you are drinking clear Proteins, that is a great way to get your liquids and Protein in at the same time so great plan!

I did not use my pain meds too much after surgery. It did take me about 2 weeks to really feel comfy laying on my side in bed at night so the pain you talk about waking up in the morning could be the way you are sleeping. I am a side/stomach sleeper. It almost felt like something was shifting inside when I was not on my back right after surgery. I sleep with a body pillow (kind of hug it, better than the soon to be ex-husband for sure!!! lol...) and that seemed to help with the awkward feeling I got on my side.

You will do great, just take it one day at a time! That is one thing I am thankful for with the sleeve! Even if you feel you did not do everything right one day, the next day is a new day cause you still have the same tool to help do all the right things. It is amazing. I lost alot at first but I still consistenly lose about .2 pounds every day to 2 days.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Jenny, Congats and welcome to the Losers Bench.