Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reading Protein Powder labels

Hi friends,

I am going to be starting the preoperative diet soon and was wondering what to look for when buying Protein powder? My instructions are:

Any canned Meal Replacement containing at least 20 grams of protein

Dinner: salad with Protein (chicken, fish, egg, etc), small amount of low fat dressing, or fat free dressing or olive oil and vinegar.

1 protein drink in the evening if needed

Because I am in a very remote area I don't have access to a GNC or a heath food store. We have a drugstore a grocery store and a Walmart.< /p>

Any suggestions on what to look for when shopping, will Boost work (I have seen that in the shops)? Or Atkins?

Also I have a months supply of NutriSystem meals. Should I just have one of those for my dinner?

Thanks (I'm confused).

Will

I don't see why you can't use one of your nutrisystem meals for your dinner.

If you go into the food section on the forum, I made a thread on places to order samples of Protein drinks. I would order some samples and find out what you like.

Boost is usually very high in calories and carbs. You can use Atkins or low carb slim fast too.

Thanks for the quick reply. Buying online is not a option cause it takes 3-4 weeks to get anything delivered up here. lol.. I might order some and hope they get here by postop.

I checked out some of the powder stuff and looked at the ingredients label and go totally confused.:blink:

I'll check out your thread though.

Will

Thanks for the quick reply. Buying online is not a option cause it takes 3-4 weeks to get anything delivered up here. lol.. I might order some and hope they get here by postop.

I checked out some of the powder stuff and looked at the ingredients label and go totally confused.:blink:

I'll check out your thread though.

Will

Jeez Will, you practically live up at the artic. What's a gay boy doing up there? Still suggest buying your basics online......they won't go to waste. You can then try to go to a GNC when you're in San Diego (assuming that's where you're flying to) and that should get you by until your shipment arrives. Good luck, Les

Thanks for the tip Les. I never even thought of doing that! lol

I was actually born up here and came back to take care of my elderly mom. I had lived in Vancouver, SF, Palm Springs and then back up here.

I love it up here except for the shopping thing.

Will

Will when buying the ready to drink stuff...you want to find things that are low in carbs. The Atkins, or Muscle Milk Light 100 calorie boxed drinks are good. I'd stay away from the special K drinks, the Boost, Ensure, Carnation, etc. Those are all pretty high in carbs.

You will be using Protein shakes alot post-op as well so you definitely have time to order some samples online and see what you like.

Meanwhile Wal-Mart does sell the big tubs of Protein Powder. I forget the brand name but alot of people seem to like it. I haven't tried it. Make sure you when you are buying Protein Powder that you are buying whey isolate...they say that's the best kind of Protein.< /p>

Good luck!

I think what is confusing is I have been looking at the powder weight lifter stuff. Wyder, etc.

When I looked at the ingredients they list a 1000 items and it just got confusing. I'll focus only looking for the Protein, carbs, and calories.

Or should I just worry about the amount of Protein and carbs?

I'll see if I can snag all the Atkins stuff before someone else gets to it. Otherwise it could be months before the next shipment.

Oh, and I am going to get the online samples ordered today.

Thanks for all the great stuff.

:blink:

Will

The stuff people seem to like at Walmart that is a powder to mix with Water is Body Fortress.

I like my Protein powder to have

25 grams of Protein, less than 150 calories and as low carb as possible. Most of the ones I use are less than 5 grams of carbs.

I really like BSN lean dessert. I get it at vitacost.com and there are many flavors. I like the chocolate fudge pudding and the banana pudding. I mix the 2 together.

WHAT IS BSN DESERT???

BSN Lean Dessert is a Protein powder. It comes in chocolate, cinnamon bun, chocolate fudge pudding (which is a little thicker than the regular chocolate,) banana bread, banana pudding, (same thing it's a little thicker,) vanilla, and chocolate coconut. There maybe some other flavors that I don't remember. I get it at vitacost.com . Their shipping is 4.99 for no matter how much you order,

If you go to the food section forum, there is a thread for places to order samples of all sorts of Protein powders . That is what I would do, before I bought a lot of anything. BSN has some samples available if you go to that thread.