Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping to go from band to sleeve -- any issues?

Hi, this is my first post here, but I've been reading, reading, reading. I got my band in March 2008, and spent lots of time on lapbandtalk.com before and after that surgery. I used to read and post, especially in the group who was banded in the same month as I was. But eventually I dropped out because I just couldn't relate to everyone's relatively easy journey and success, while I struggled endlessly with the dreaded fill/unfill/fill/slip/unfill/fill... cycle that went on ever since the first time I had a slip about 9 months into the process. I finally stopped getting any adjustments late last year and just left it alone. I hate my band for all the struggles and reasons that revisionists do, but I'm really hoping to move to the sleeve this summer.

It's really nice to see so many familiar personalities who I used to see over there, but on the other hand, knowing that you've switched to the sleeve only lends credence to the fact that the band just isn't for everyone.

My question to you is: after the healing period (4-6 weeks?), have you ever felt limited or restricted in your comfort to eat out socially? Fear of sliming, foaming, etc.? Any other issues? Do you have embarrassing gurgling like with the band? After 2 years, I've got the small bites and chewing down, and yet this nonsense still goes on depending on when my band feels like showing me who's the boss. I can't wait to get rid of it! :thumbdown:

Thanks for your post, chica. I don't have feedback for you as I haven't gotten the sleeve yet, but what you say makes me glad that the band didn't work out for me- I went into surgery last week and came out with no band because of a large hiatal hernia. I'm left with the options of sleeve or bypass, and I don't want bypass. Which leaves me with the sleeve.

Questions I have- can you drink carbonated beverages with the sleeve? Are there problem foods?

Edited by AnneGG

My question to you is: after the healing period (4-6 weeks?), have you ever felt limited or restricted in your comfort to eat out socially? Fear of sliming, foaming, etc.? Any other issues? Do you have embarrassing gurgling like with the band? After 2 years, I've got the small bites and chewing down, and yet this nonsense still goes on depending on when my band feels like showing me who's the boss. I can't wait to get rid of it! :thumbdown:

Hi there and welcome.

The sleeve is so different from the band. I started eating out socially around 4 months out once I knew that I was going to be "ok". The band made me cautious to eat in public so I did take some time before venturing to eat out with others. Now, I have zero issue eating out. I eat out 2-4 times weekly, and have not had one single episode of the slimes/pb/getting stuff stuck etc. Since we had the band, I kind of feel like we have the learning curve beat to an extent.

My stomach makes zero noises. I've heard others mention this gurgling, but mine is a silent little boogar. I order and eat anything on the menu. I actually usually share a meal with a girlfriend, or my son and I share an entree with some sides.

You'll love the sleeve. The recovery is a bit more extensive, but it's so worth it.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on your progress.

I've had no issues at all with sliming, etc. with the sleeve. I got nauseated twice from eating too much, but once I learned how much to eat at one time I've been fine. food doesn't get stuck, it just goes right on down. I eat out whenever I want, and eat whatever I want, just in smaller quantities. My husband and I might share an entree, or I'll order an appetizer for my meal, or just get a regular meal and take home the leftovers (I can usually get another two meals from one). I've had several business dinners, and if someone asked if there was a problem with my food or why I didn't finish my meal, I just said I had a big lunch and wasn't very hungry. Sweet and simple.

You will be thrilled with the sleeve. Getting my band removed was the best thing ever! It felt so good to start losing weight again and not have to deal with that horrible plastic mess inside my body. Good luck!

I am so glad I came across this site. I am having problems with my band and I thought it was just me. I have had terrible reflux since getting the band in April 2008 and I have the fill/unfill problems as well. I get a fill, I throw up - I get an unfill and I can eat anything and I gain weight. I am also thinking of switching to the sleeve, but I don't know much about it.

HI - I'm also a new band/sleeve revision hopeful. Nice to meet you! My surgeon is submitting my paperwork right now and in 2-3 weeks I should be able to schedule my revision date.

I may be the oddity around here. I've never hated my band - I've lost 90 lbs and have kept it off for the past 4+ years. I guess I just learned to live with the food restrictions and PB episodes. Now that I'm unfilled eating so so much easier (to easy says the 3 lbs I've put on). I started having severe reflux 6 months ago and finally went in for an Upper GI - my pouch was dilated all the way around. My doc wanted it out but I didn't until I came home and researched......I fully believe that since I've had this issue I will have more in the future so that is why I have decided on a revision...that and no more PB, stuck first bite, watching people eat while I drool and try not to throw up.

It will be nice to have a "normal" relationship with food.

Good luck!

I had band to sleeve revision December,2009. The band almost killed me. I absolutely am so happy with the sleeve!!!!! No more travelling with "puke cups" in the car. No more having stashes of Walmart bags around the house to vomit in. I no longer have to "scope out" the restaurants to find the bathroom and then find a place to sit with a clear shot to the bathroom. No more vomiting along side the interstate highway while travelling and having the indignity of people honking as they drove by. I could go on an on.....

I am a "normal eater" now, just in alot smaller quantities. I'm not hungry most of the time. The only real problem is "head hunger" at times but that is o.k. too.

Best wishes on your new sleeve!!! Keep us posted! I read this board alot but don't post much as I'm active at OH.com and don't agree with some of the things that happen here. I'll be watching for your comments on the difference between the 2 surgeries!!!!!!

Can I ask a stupid question? What is foaming, sliming, that kind of thing that people are talking about? I have restriction with my band and have a lot of throwing up but I'm not sure what these other things are.

I have also experience having puke cups in my car and stopping on the side of the road to throw up. I'm very tired of that but would put up with it IF I was thin and looking fabulous, but I'm not.

When food gets stuck with the band, typically, we get that slimy spit filling up the mouth, or productive burping/foaming from trying to get it unstuck.

Shana- I would definitely not deal with that only because of the damage the band can do to the stomach. Being skinny isn't worth your health.

Have you had an upper GI or endoscopy to see what is going on with your band if your puking that much?

The weird thing is that my band is very unpredictable. I can eat a meal and have no problems then the next meal I eat two bites and throw it up.

My doctor does my fills under xray so he can see all of the reflux happening. We are just in the beginning stages of talking about revision. I have to see if my insurance will even cover it.

The weird thing is that my band is very unpredictable. I can eat a meal and have no problems then the next meal I eat two bites and throw it up.

My doctor does my fills under xray so he can see all of the reflux happening. We are just in the beginning stages of talking about revision. I have to see if my insurance will even cover it.

That's the standard "band behavior". I remember I few days I'd puke on Water, and had to survive on chicken noodle Soup. Then 2 days later I could eat chicken breast or even sometimes steak. It is weird, and it's a horrible quality of life in my opinion.

My mom has had her band for 2.5 years. She has lost 75lbs with another 30-40 to go, but she pukes 2-4 times a week. She just "lives with it" because she's lost most of her weight. I just couldn't continue to live that way.

Even though I, too, have the unpredictability to deal with, I feel like maybe if I can remind you of one of the cardinal band rules, that maybe it'll help you a little in the short term. The rule that I'm referring to is that if you throw up for ANY reason, be sure to return to liquids for 2 days because the subsequent swelling in your tissues appears anywhere from 24-48 hours after the incident. So, while you can eat a meal and the next one makes you throw up after 2 bites, maybe you threw up a day or 2 prior and this is just part of a vicious cycle.

This is just what happened to me after 9 months with the band, and finally after a week of struggles, I called my doc's office, went in and found my band had slipped. This was the first of many, and unfortunately, after the first slip, it can happen again much easier. Just a thought...

Hi -- I too want a Band to Sleeve -- not sure if Aetna will cover -- what has your experience been with insurance covinging to the sleeve vs a RNY or DS (which I don't want)

Living with the band is a nightmare.

Living with the sleeve is effortless. The smartest thing I ever did was getting that band out and revising to the sleeve.