Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Inevitable "I'm Not Losing Fast Enough" Thread

So, I AM losing weight, just not very fast; in the past 5 days, I've lost about 2 lbs. I know that in the long term, they recommend dieters not lose more than 3 lbs per week, but I'm less than two weeks out from a sleeve surgery, and I'm on an all liquid/puree diet.

My girlfriend is a sleever too, and she's astounded by the volume that I can eat without discomfort. A lot of this is due to the fact that I heal extraordinarily quickly, but I think also some is due to the fact that I'm larger than her -- my sleeve is larger.

I still don't think I've felt hungry since the surgery. I'm just eating periodically due to a feeling that "I should probably eat something" and boredom. Boredom is a factor because I've been working from home for the past week (really unnecessarily; I could have been going in to the office probably by Tuesday of last week). When I'm bored, I graze!

My sources of calories are denser than I thought, and they're all "slider" foods (by necessity, since I can't consume solids right now). I just did the numbers on my morning Protein blender smoothie, and it's about 500-600 calories (310 cals 3 scoops EAS Protein powder, 160 cals 2 cups of skim milk, 160 cals 1 cup frozen blueberries, pureed). That's an AWFUL lot -- I'm going to switch to the Premium Nutrition Protein shakes that we have, which are a little less net Protein (30g vs. 40g total in the smoothie) but a LOT less calories (160 cal total). Also, my girlfriend bought some full-fat baked potato Soup from Safeway which is delicious (when pureed), but it's still about 400 calories per serving!

Honestly, as I think about it, eliminating the blender smoothies (aside from once in a while as a snack or an "I need to eat a calorie" thing) and getting back to a routine at work should be all I need to kick start my weight loss.

So... never mind!

Edit: and I did the math. From my pre-surgery weight of 315.something (on the doc's office scale, which is about 2 pounds LIGHTER than my at-home scale), I'm down to 303.8, in 11 days. That's almost a pound a day. Probably a bit more than that if you adjust for the weight differences in the scales. It's not a race; I may not drop 100 lbs. in the first three weeks, but a pound a day is QUITE fast enough, thank you!

Edited by ouroborous

:001_unsure:I can totally relate. I look at all these people and how fast they are losing, and I feel like I am doing something wrong.

I was sleeved on April 8 and I have only lost 27 lbs. My doctor is "delighted" and I was... until I started reading all these posts. I'm pushing Protein like crazy, getting 50-100 gms a day. Getting all my Water in most days, and walking 2-3 times a day.

It will happen. People lose at different rates and have stalls at different times. In the end they all lose if they follow their doctors guidelines and recommendations.

I haven't lost an ounce in 12 days. I know... I know.... Water weight, body in conservations mode, trying to adjust to the shock..... etc... etc.... but its still frustrating!!!!!

We'll get there guys

Stacey

It will happen, I too hit a period where I only had a 4 oz weight loss

over a two week period and then last Thursday it kicked in again

and I have lost 6.6 pounds since. Just keep eating right and it will

work.

Edited by Garyb_58

:):confused1:

I couldn't agree more. I think I'm the slowest sleeve looser in SLEEVE HISTORY. I was sleeved on 3/11 (started out at 220) and lost 12 pounds within the 1st two weeks, and nothing after than. At my 6 week appointment I lost another 2 pounds. Tomorrow is my 9 week surgiversary and I lost maybe another 3 pounds. This morning I was down to 203, but by tomorrow morning I'm sure I'll be back up to 205. I don't know what I'm going to do. I really dont like Protein smoothies..... I put Protein in my coffee and get full really quick, but nothing seems to work for me. I hope to be in onderland by June 1. That means I would have to loose 3 pound sin 2 weeks.............

Lord give me strength.........

That's why when the scale didn't move for two days in a row last week I picked it up and refuse to get on it!

Ouro..that smoothie you're making sure does seem to have a bunch of calories in it!

I'm using the Gladiator powder...180 calories for 2 scoops, 45g of Protein, I use about 1/4 cup of Water in it, about a cup of ice cubes, and one medium banana thrown in. 2 of those a day and I'm at 90 g of protein!

My biggest thing is that it seems like I can really take in a lot. I was able to eat a whole container of Dannon greek yogurt with strawberry in it today. I can eat about a whole cup of thin creamed Soup at a sitting...maybe 15 minutes or so.

I know these are "slider" foods and pass through my sleeve pretty quickly but it's still worrisome.

It will happen, I too hit a period where I only a 4 oz weight loss

over a two week period and then last Thursday it kicked in again

and I have lost 6.6 pounds since. Just keep eating right and it will

work.

Gary...when were you sleeved?

That's why when the scale didn't move for two days in a row last week I picked it up and refuse to get on it!

Ouro..that smoothie you're making sure does seem to have a bunch of calories in it!

I'm using the Gladiator powder...180 calories for 2 scoops, 45g of Protein, I use about 1/4 cup of Water in it, about a cup of ice cubes, and one medium banana thrown in. 2 of those a day and I'm at 90 g of protein!

My biggest thing is that it seems like I can really take in a lot. I was able to eat a whole container of Dannon greek yogurt with strawberry in it today. I can eat about a whole cup of thin creamed Soup at a sitting...maybe 15 minutes or so.

I know these are "slider" foods and pass through my sleeve pretty quickly but it's still worrisome.

Yeah, I can eat pretty fast too. I'm still not TOO worried since I'm eating pureed food only -- I figure that when it's a liquid, I don't have too much restriction. Once I get to the solid food stage, hopefully I'll feel more restriction.

Fortunately, I don't feel much (any!) hunger, so I don't have that working against me! I can just focus on pacing myself when I eat and controlling my portion size.

I think it would really help if you cut down the calories in your smoothies. Make it with Water instead of milk and maybe 2 scoops Protein instead of 3? From what I understand we'll be on 600 cals or less until 6months out or so and you are getting that much from just the smoothie in the morning, what is your calorie count for the whole day? I thought it's supposed to be 600-800 cals for the first year and working up to 1200-1500 by 1.5 - 2 yrs out. I know every surgeon has different guidelines though!

Me too guys....I was sleeved about 2 mos ago and have only lost 22 pounds - last week I lost not even 1/2 of a pound and this week 1 pound. Guess I/we have to be patient and just do the right thing about eating and things will take care of themselves. The other thing is that I guess the slow weight loss is good in a way - not good to lose too fast (kidney stones).

If you include my preop loss, I've lost 38 pounds in the past 9 weeks. Overall, for a relatively sedentary, post-menopausal female, that's a great weight loss. What concerns me is that the first 20 pounds were lost in the 2 weeks right before and right after surgery. Any loss that fast is going to be mostly Water weight. After that initial big drop, the scale has moved very slowly. If I were doing a typical weight-loss diet, I would expect a loss of 1-2 pounds a week and be OK with that. It's the fact that I am eating such a small quantity of food and still losing so slowly that kind of worries me, because I'm not sure what this means for the "long-haul" and my ability to continue losing and eventually maintain. I'm glad to be losing and not be hungry, but given the fact that my calories are ranging from around 400-900 calories a day, I am surprised that I'm not losing a little more consistently.

Katt - I'm post menopausal too. Easy for me to say, but I've seen lots of "relatively sedentary" post menopausal females lose weight on this site. Bodies are just different - I think you and I will be fine. You say you are glad to be loosing and not hungry - not so with me - I am SO hungry most of the time. Guess the drop in grehlin didn't happen with me. And yes, I am also, not happy with not losing more in a consistent fashion. A concern I have at my age is my bones - I want to keep the Calcium and Protein levels up. Guess I'll just have to be patient with the sloooow loss.