Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2010 Sleevers!

Calling April Sleevers! How are you all doing?

My report: I love to feel the bones in my body! I can feel my rib and hip bones!

Last weekend I went to Boise to move my brother into a living assisted center and I was jumping up in the bed of my truck with NO PROBLEM! Half of that is the loss of weight and half is the exercising I've been doing. I have more strength in my legs to lift up a smaller body! My relatives there had not seen me for a while and they were amazed. My mom kept seeing me pop in and out as I was moving boxes into my brother's room, and she would have a moment of confusion because the face was me, but the body was someone else!

I am still taking the stomach acid pill. Is anyone else still taking theirs?

I bought a halloween outfit _off the rack!!!_ to wear while taking my grandchildren trick or treating!

I have a lot of loose skin.....underarms, upper thighs, tummy, but it doesn't bother me too much. I'm still hoping some of it will tighten up with time and exercise.

Anyone else want to share?

Hi Lucy! I was thinking about reviving the April Sleevers thread to see how everyone is doing!

We are similar in our beginning weights and where we are now. It's ok to feel a little self doubt now and then. It's normal. I think if we had higher bmi's to start with, we would have lost more weight. But think of how much better you are feeling now....more energy....size 10 pants! You've done a GREAT job! I'm still dreaming of size 12 pants! I got my labs done recently, too, and was thrilled to see that my cholesterol was within the normal range for the first time in 20 years!

I can eat 6-8 oz of salad, but I can't eat that much chicken. It depends on the density of the food. I do agree with other comments I've seen on the forum that it is good to up the calories for a couple of days, then back to low carbs. I've seen that break a stall more than once.

Anytime you need a cheerleader, count me in! You are changing your life one step at a time, for the better! LIFE IS GOOD!!!

Thanks for the pep talk. The hardest part is that there are so few sleevers in my area. I go to a support group and it is nice, but bypass is very different. I think my hormones fluctuate with intensity now that I can really feel what is going on with my body. It makes me a little emotional. On the bright side, it is amazing to have my clients tell me how some people who lose weight dont look good , but that I do. Makes me feel great. I can wear a medium not an xxl... I can buy cool trendy clothes. My 10 year old is so excited for me. I have so many things to be greatful for, but I guess it takes time for our brain to catch up with our body. I didnt know I still had stomach muscles. How cool is that. Three c-sections and I still have muscles. I found that by combining exercise info I have from many healthy diets you can tone your body nicely. Big tip...Treadmills are the best for now. Stairs and other machines can cause damage to muscles and tendons and the body is focusing on repairs instead of weight loss. So 15-30 minutes max on treadmill ..I found incline of 6.5 and 3-4 pace is great. I work out with weights for an additonal 30 minutes or so changing out arms and legs and abs. I have helped my fellow bypass buddy drop ten pounds by getting off the stairs and other stuff.(that was in about a week) It works for some reason. I have lossed inches so I guess I should be happy and I have helped someone else along the way who was not doing so well. Okay so I am doing good. Wow did I just babble it all out or what. Thanks..I needed to vent ...

Thanks for the pep talk. The hardest part is that there are so few sleevers in my area. I go to a support group and it is nice, but bypass is very different. I think my hormones fluctuate with intensity now that I can really feel what is going on with my body. It makes me a little emotional. On the bright side, it is amazing to have my clients tell me how some people who lose weight dont look good , but that I do. Makes me feel great. I can wear a medium not an xxl... I can buy cool trendy clothes. My 10 year old is so excited for me. I have so many things to be greatful for, but I guess it takes time for our brain to catch up with our body. I didnt know I still had stomach muscles. How cool is that. Three c-sections and I still have muscles. I found that by combining exercise info I have from many healthy diets you can tone your body nicely. Big tip...Treadmills are the best for now. Stairs and other machines can cause damage to muscles and tendons and the body is focusing on repairs instead of weight loss. So 15-30 minutes max on treadmill ..I found incline of 6.5 and 3-4 pace is great. I work out with weights for an additonal 30 minutes or so changing out arms and legs and abs. I have helped my fellow bypass buddy drop ten pounds by getting off the stairs and other stuff.(that was in about a week) It works for some reason. I have lossed inches so I guess I should be happy and I have helped someone else along the way who was not doing so well. Okay so I am doing good. Wow did I just babble it all out or what. Thanks..I needed to vent ...

Venting is a good thing. Sometimes it helps just to communication how you are feeling.

Today, I'm having trouble staying positivie. I have so many things I have to do and it feels like I'll never be able to catch up. I tend to spread myself too thin and try to take on too much. I need to get it under control, but my time and energy runs out before the work does! Mostly it has been the commitments I've given to family. I want to help, and sometimes it seems like I'm the only one that CAN help, but I have so little time.

I can feel my anxiety levels going up. I need to calm down, make a list of what needs to be done, prioritize the list, then take care of one thing at a time.

It's always been a challenge for me to keep my life in balance. But I don't think I'm alone in that.

By the way, I'm impressed with the commitment you've made to exercising! Going back to your post, cool trendy clothes are the BEST! Stomach muscles? I wonder if I have some! I keep meaning to work up an easy exercise routine to tone muscles, but I never find the time! (that subject again!!!!)

Venting is a good thing. Sometimes it helps just to communication how you are feeling.

Today, I'm having trouble staying positivie. I have so many things I have to do and it feels like I'll never be able to catch up. I tend to spread myself too thin and try to take on too much. I need to get it under control, but my time and energy runs out before the work does! Mostly it has been the commitments I've given to family. I want to help, and sometimes it seems like I'm the only one that CAN help, but I have so little time.

I can feel my anxiety levels going up. I need to calm down, make a list of what needs to be done, prioritize the list, then take care of one thing at a time.

It's always been a challenge for me to keep my life in balance. But I don't think I'm alone in that.

By the way, I'm impressed with the commitment you've made to exercising! Going back to your post, cool trendy clothes are the BEST! Stomach muscles? I wonder if I have some! I keep meaning to work up an easy exercise routine to tone muscles, but I never find the time! (that subject again!!!!)

You must stay positive...Practice what we preach...isnt that funny. I used to be really terrible about letting everyone and I mean everyone utilize all of my time. As the weight has come off, I have started feeling different. Ive wondered how I let things get so out of control. I have 3 kids that are young a home business (dog grooming) and a husband who is uncrontrolled type 1 diabetic. I have been everyones everything...oh wait ...I was everyones everything except for me. I finally said wait...I need to go work out ..I am doing it.. Odd thing is at first there were tons of guilt trips and objections and then it became fact that I was going and I needed it for me. Now I do . I go sometimes just to have down time to think. Somewhere along the line most of us devalue ourselves because we feel like our weight cancels us out. Well, it doesn't and if we remembered that long ago, we probably wouldn't have continued weight struggles. I am so thankful for having the opportunity to feel good again. Grab a picture of a heavier weight and give yourself a pat on the back and keep moving forward. I only have about 5 pics from the last 11 years. I was so self conscious. Now, I went to my 20 year reunion last weekend and I clicked and was in tons of pics and am proud of myself. I still have 25 pounds to go and I will make it, and so will you. How is that for pep...? I need to update my picture.

Thanks, Lucy. That was a good pep talk! I called my girlfriend to meet for aerobics the very next day. Unfortunately, she had to work late and couldn't make it, so I went to Goodwill and found a couple of shirts and pants that weren't baggy on me. I'm in a size 14 now. And to think I was a size 3X just 6 months ago!

It sounds like you have your hands full with the family, too. I know what you mean about there being complaints when you first started taking time for yourself. I belonged to a support group in my 30's that was for people who were raised in a dysfunctional family (who wasn't?). That's when I first became aware that I needed to set boundaries. I'm much better at it now, but I still wrestle with just the sheer amount of work/tasks that I want to accomplish vs the energy and time available to do them!

I'm not feeling so anxious now, but I wish I were like the Cullens in the Twilight series and didn't need to sleep at night!

Thanks, Lucy. That was a good pep talk! I called my girlfriend to meet for aerobics the very next day. Unfortunately, she had to work late and couldn't make it, so I went to Goodwill and found a couple of shirts and pants that weren't baggy on me. I'm in a size 14 now. And to think I was a size 3X just 6 months ago!

It sounds like you have your hands full with the family, too. I know what you mean about there being complaints when you first started taking time for yourself. I belonged to a support group in my 30's that was for people who were raised in a dysfunctional family (who wasn't?). That's when I first became aware that I needed to set boundaries. I'm much better at it now, but I still wrestle with just the sheer amount of work/tasks that I want to accomplish vs the energy and time available to do them!

I'm not feeling so anxious now, but I wish I were like the Cullens in the Twilight series and didn't need to sleep at night!

The size change is so amazing. Doesn't that make you feel so awesome? Pat on the back. sleep, what the heck is that? At first I started to get some sleep, but now I can't. Working out makes it possible to fall asleep, but staying asleep is hard. I have a picture show running in my head 24/7. I guess I should be thankful that I get some rest and try to take naps ... Hmmm where does that get penciled in?

I am curious about how many people are keeping track of their inches. Weight is important, but how about them inches... Anyone? Did you notice the waist?

I am curious about how many people are keeping track of their inches. Weight is important, but how about them inches... Anyone? Did you notice the waist?

Hi Lucy! I found my measurements from my highest weight and compared it to current about 2 mos ago. I was amazed at the loss, but I'm going to do it again soon to compare. I mostly watch my scale and clothing size to measure my progress.. But now you've made me curious so I'll have to find those notes and re-measure myself!

Hi Lucy! I found my measurements from my highest weight and compared it to current about 2 mos ago. I was amazed at the loss, but I'm going to do it again soon to compare. I mostly watch my scale and clothing size to measure my progress.. But now you've made me curious so I'll have to find those notes and re-measure myself!

The holidays took away almost any chance of me getting online. I am glad to hear that you did the measurements. I am planning on measuring today and then again in May. I hope to be at goal by then. I hope. I weighed myself 4 times standing in different positions on Sunday morning when I hit 149. I was like..it must be broken. Yipee. I just wish I didnt have any cravings. Silly cycle we experience coupled with kids makes it really hard sometimes. I take a few steps forward and then a step back. I should already have reached goal. I have been a little naughty about food over the holidays, but am doing much better. I have found that edamame is awesome and great Protein low calorie and satifies the salt craving. Let me know how you are doing. I need to get online more ..It helps keep me focused.

The holidays took away almost any chance of me getting online. I am glad to hear that you did the measurements. I am planning on measuring today and then again in May. I hope to be at goal by then. I hope. I weighed myself 4 times standing in different positions on Sunday morning when I hit 149. I was like..it must be broken. Yipee. I just wish I didnt have any cravings. Silly cycle we experience coupled with kids makes it really hard sometimes. I take a few steps forward and then a step back. I should already have reached goal. I have been a little naughty about food over the holidays, but am doing much better. I have found that edamame is awesome and great Protein low calorie and satifies the salt craving. Let me know how you are doing. I need to get online more ..It helps keep me focused.

149!!!!! That's so great! I hit 158 recently and I was thrilled to be in the 150's! You must love the 140's! I did my measurements and I went from 50-45-50 to 40-34-42!

I would love it if we April sleevers would keep in touch more, but most of us have wandered off....living life.

I'm pleased with my progress overall, but I have a couple of downfalls: bite-size butterfingers and popcorn! One for sweet cravings and one for salty cravings!

I am still trying to exercise more, and not doing too badly at it. I got a Nookbook for Christmas and found I can do my eliptical while reading. That's great for me because I get bored easily. We have 5 acres and my hubby and I carved a system of trails this winter. I take my 6 dogs walking as often as I can. I've even tried running part of the way!

One of the best things I do for myself is to keep a nice salad ready in the fridge at all times. I cube up chicken on it for my Protein. I do better on the days that I go to work because I have a good pattern of eating and drinking that I've developed. My days off are another matter.

Have you had any health concerns, Lucy?

Hello to All the 2010 Sleevers!

It's almost a full year for us now, so I thought it would be a good time to re-open this thread before April starts and invite you all back to discuss your past 12 months.

I am having problems logging in as I changed my laptop recently and I think that some settings may need to be changed. This webpage has also changed since last year and I don't know my way around yet.

I originally started this thread last year under the name "Bookleen" but subsequently changed it to "Booklean" to reflect my progress! Since I was unable to log in as "Booklean" I have rejoined as "Bookleen".

I am just posting this post to see if everything is working and I will be back soon to discuss my progress and reflections later.

Looking forward to a grand reunion!

Bookleen

Hello to All the 2010 Sleevers!

It's almost a full year for us now, so I thought it would be a good time to re-open this thread before April starts and invite you all back to discuss your past 12 months.

I am having problems logging in as I changed my laptop recently and I think that some settings may need to be changed. This webpage has also changed since last year and I don't know my way around yet.

I originally started this thread last year under the name "Bookleen" but subsequently changed it to "Booklean" to reflect my progress! Since I was unable to log in as "Booklean" I have rejoined as "Bookleen".

I am just posting this post to see if everything is working and I will be back soon to discuss my progress and reflections later.

Looking forward to a grand reunion!

Bookleen

I'm still here! I would love an opportunity to share and hear from other April sleevers. I just caught your post before work, Bookleen, so I'm heading out the door, but I'll check back in later. Breezy

Hello Breezy,

Good to hear from you.

It will be great to reconnect with all our April 2010 sleevers and catch up with their stories.

I was sleeved on 26rth April and intend to do a full report with measurements then as part of my surgiversary.

I have had a good year and am pleased with my progress and improved lifestyle, although when I compare myself to others my success will not seem remarkable. It has been and is remarkable to me!

I lost easily and steadily for the first 6 months without any problems but seemed to have plateaued since then. I developed foot problems and have been resting my foot since then which is probably why I have not lost any weight in the past 6 months.

I started out at 213 lbs weight and a BMI of 35, and have lost approx 50 lbs to reach a BMI of just under 27. I would like to lose another 20 or perhaps 30 lbs and think that I will continue to lose more when I get more active, hopefully this Summer. I am happy enough to have this stall because I think I might have looked too worn out and dragged down if I had lost the weight too fast. I am 56 years old so I want to be careful. It also gives me a chance to wear old some of the clothes I had packed into my wardrobes that had never been worn because they had gotten too small.

I love my new life now. I still love food and enjoy eating out with friends just as much as before. I also now enjoy dressing up to go out.

For anyone reading this, I would have no hesitation in recommending this procedure and I am very happy with my past year and look forward to more of the same.

Life is good.

Bookleen

:rolleyes: I can't believe it has almost been a whole year. I head to Dallas this week for my one year check up. I am frazzled. I had hoped to be at 139 by my 1 year visit. I think I will be 10 or so shy. I feel like I have failed or something. Crazy I know but I have worked hard. The weight just hit a stall. I am proud of myself but cant help but feeling like I messed up a bit. I have had some issues with food intolerance. I have found I do experience dumping. Rare it is, but I am quite sure that is what it is. I have friends who had other surgeries and said OMG that is dumping. I can have chocolate, but if any other kind of sugar goes in like grapes or fruit or a jelly bean...holy cow I get bubbles and start feeling like I am going to lose it. I even have had sweats. So I am still learning. I hit a stall for a bit and suddenly my hair is growing like crazy. I woke up and thought someone had chopped the front of my hair, and realized it was baby hairs. Yea...I guess that body has to focus on one thing at a time. I am hoping that the weight loss will kick back in now that the hair and nails etc are all looking really nice. I hope everyone is experiencing great results and I would love to hear what has been going on good or bad. I have til the 29th to shed a few more pounds. Wish me luck.

Hi Everyone,

Although it is now May, I am starting this thread as I didn't see one for April yet.

I had my surgery 26th April so I barely fit into this month.

Anyone who has had their surgery in April 2010 is welcome to come and share their journey on this thread.

I thought it might be nice to journey alongside others who are more or less encountering the same issues.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

I have changed my name from Bookleen to Booklean!

Booklean

biggrin.gif:D:D

Well I had my one year anniversary on april 14th :D . and I also had my year check up and I'm 60 lbs lighter and my health is 100% better than one ago . I am soooooo happy I had the surgery .. Life is much better :kiss: . I still have 65lbs to loose and i'm gonna do it :regular_smile: .. I exercise 4-5 x times a week adn I try not to eat carbs ,, those are deadly...LOL :lol: well thats my mini story..