Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What would you do? One surgery or two?

One surgery or two?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. One surgery or two?

• Fix hernia only
    • Two surgeries: Lap band and hernia in one month

I have a decision to make. Dr. B can not fix my hernia while he is doing the lap band. Found out it is way too low to fix (probably caused from a c-section), or so he says.

Now I must decide to go thru with the lap band on the 5th, and have another surgery at the end of the month. Or, just fix the hernia and go on.

I am really torn, because I hate having surgery. I hate pain. But if I don't do this now, my authorization will run out.

What would you do?

Poodles - so sorry they can't do them both together. Have the band put in first unless the hernia is so bad that it is affecting your health. You will see that the pain from the lap band surgery isn't as bad as you think it will be and pain killers do exactly that. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

get the band done. if the hernia isn't incapacitating, you can get approval for it later, and have it done maybe when you have a bit of a tuck done. :confused:

Hi Poodles,

I just had the lapband and hernia operations on the same day last Wednesday. I honestly feel pretty great right now...the hernia site is somewhat more tender...but the lapband stuff is no pain at all. I guess what I am saying is that the lapband will most likely be a piece of cake for you and you should be able to tackle the hernia sooner or later without fear of substantial pain. i got my hernia from a c-section too. I think you should take your Docs advice and go for the lapband. You will be glad you did! Best of luck to you.

Jules

First, I'd see what the surgeon recommends. You don't want to risk a strangulated hernia so whichever way it goes it will have to be fixed.

As for the band? That could be the difference between life and death. I don't know your personal circumstances and those you have to judge carefully.

If having the lap-band surgery is going to make you live a longer, happier life - I think you'll know what to do.

We can't decide for you.

You can ask yourself one question though which might help you reach an answer:

Will having both the operations increase your chance of a long and healthy (happy) life?

Sorry you can't have them both taken care of. I had both a hiatal hernia and an umbilical hernia repaired during my last banding surgery. Neither are too terrible. Good luck!

My general surgeon says to have the lap band and come see him on the 15th, then we will judge the situation. Says losing weight would help the hernia.

My hubby says the only question to answer right now is do I want the lap band enough to have two more surgeries. I have MANY co-morbidities. I want to get off all the meds I am on. I want the lap band.

I don't want two surgeries. I so wish Dr. B would/could fix them both. I have a 7 year old at home for summer, and don't want to be down for the whole summer. It is not fair to him. Also THREE surgeries in THREE months can not be good for me.

I have cried and worried about this all night. I have been on this lapband thing since September... and have seen the progress of people banded since then. I NEED that success. But hubby says the hernia MUST be fixed. That is his #1 priority, since he spoke with the surgeon after my appendix surgery in April.

Damned if you do... Damned if you don't... seems to fit this situation, I think.

I have a decision to make. Dr. B can not fix my hernia while he is doing the lap band. Found out it is way too low to fix (probably caused from a c-section), or so he says.

Now I must decide to go thru with the lap band on the 5th, and have another surgery at the end of the month. Or, just fix the hernia and go on.

I am really torn, because I hate having surgery. I hate pain. But if I don't do this now, my authorization will run out.

What would you do?

Right now I'm looking at two surgeries before my banding, which were totally unexpected and very depressing. I have torn the medial meniscus in my right knee and am having an MRI tonight on it to see if it can be fixed or I need total knee replacement. They also found when I went for the lap-band exam I have blocked carotid arteries which must be fixed either by stenting or completely cleaning them out before I'm cleared once again for surgery. I'm not looking forward to either surgery, but I'm going to do them. I won't give up my hopes of the band and have been assured by Vanderbilt that they will get me in as soon as I'm cleared by the surgeon for the carotid arteries. I know I'm looking at possibly lots of weeks and 2 major surgeries...but God will see you through it. It's not the end of the world, but simply a "roadblock". I wish you lots of luck. Just remember all the reasons you are doing this.

Good Luck and God Bless,

Dody

127 views and only 12 opinions? Now I know you guys better than that. The poll won't tell your name, I won't hunt you down.

My hubby says that I should not depend on you guys/gals and should make my own decision. I say... please tell me what to do.

I've had both surgeries, but nothing has made me happier than the band. Is your hernia causing you pain now? Hubby is right. Only you and your doctor knows what's best for you. Good luck.

I say get the band and then do the hernia especially if that is what your Doc is reccommending........if the hernia can wait too, I've heard it can help you get approval for plastic surgery after you loose weight ;).....or wuld the second surgery be soon? Overall, Dawg is right -- think long term and what would help your health the most. The pain is something you forget over time especially if things go well and you start melting away! Good luck with your decision either way!

OK, so I have decided to do both surgeries.

Now, I can't stop crying... what is up with that? I have not been able to sleep, can't stop thinking about lapband issues, scared all the time, really afraid I am going to chicken out.

I know everyone has the "jitters" and have read how everyone that made it thru them is happy... but man... I just don't have the words to express how I feel right now. Scared, excited, depressed, and want to run away... that is just a few that come close.

Normal? Drama-queen? chicken?

Poodles, you may need intervention. Should visit with a therapist, at least to make an assessment and to help you out and if meds are needed, then you should do what's best for you.

Oh TellyMelly, I AM drugged up. Have been doing rather well with Effexor the past few months.

I just really feel overwhelmed. Everything was fine when I thought I would just have one surgery to fix both things. Now three surgeries in three months seems unreal.

I am going to do it though. I NEED the lapband. I know that.

Thank you for being here for me. LBT is a great place for support.