Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, I've already attended an orientation meeting, and I'm not super big on support group type thingies. So not really.

Fair enough! :thumbup:

Sorry! Didn't mean that to come across as brusque or anything :thumbup: Sometimes when I'm at work and "sneaking a break" I don't have a lot of time for a response (and then an hour later there's absolutely nothing to do and I write a novel! It's the nature of my work, I suppose...)

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I am feeling a little better today. I think going to work helped me keep my mind off things. I needed an outlet. However, I think I kind of overdid it a bit. I am a rad tech so I work with patients on my feet all day, so am a little sore but nothing terrible. I did go into this expecting to be a little depressed but it was definitely more than I anticipated. I think I am a little sadder than most on a regular day. Its just kind of me.

I definitely wasn't expecting these stomach spasms. I didn't hear too many people mention them before surgery. I was expecting to have some nausea which I didn't really have that much of thank goodness. But these spasms are kicking my ass. They are starting to get better I think but for the first week it was so hard to get anything down it hurt so bad. Warm liquids are definitely better than cold. Cold is torture for me right now. I even have them when I am not drinking or eating which is kind of weird. But I am on the mend i think.

BJEAN,

I am only a week out so don't take everything I say to heart. This is all new to me right now and I am still learning how to deal with all my equipment. As for the nausea I am sure everyone is different but nausea has not been a problem for me to be honest. I was sent home with two nausea medications phenergan suppositories and zofran pills. Both seemed to do the trick. I can actually say I have not thrown up once which is awesome because the spasms are all I can take. The spasms are my issue. I don't know how else the explain the spasms other than anyone who has ever had gallbladder pain from stones would recognize the pain. Its like a sharp cramping under your ribs. Smooth muscle spasms i.e stomach, gallbladder, intestines are just painful. The spasms are very reminiscent of gallbladder pain for me. I should have seen them coming. This is not the first time I have had stomach spasms I get them often in response to medications that don't agree with me like narcotics. I thought at first that the narcotics were causing the spasms but when I stopped taking the pain meds they didn't go away in fact they got worse because I wasn't taking any pain meds. haha. Anyway don't be scared I am sure in a couple weeks I will be singing the surgeries praises. I am just sensitive still. But on positive note I have lost 13 pounds in 7 days so I can tell you it works.

Tiffanyismajor,

Thanks for your concern. I don't need a replacement stomach yet. haha. I think i will make it with this one eventually. I am looking forward to watching your experiences as they come. As for more time off like I said earlier I think going to work was the best thing for me. I needed to keep my mind busy.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice. It really did help to know others had these kinds of pains after their surgeries. I heard so much about nausea and vomiting and not much about spasms before the surgery I thought I was kind of alone. I know it won't last forever. I am looking forward to being my normal self again and am back in better spirits today thanks to all your kind words and getting off my ass and going to work.

Thank everyone!

oh i feel your pain. I had no idea that this surgery would be so hard. I had hyatal hernia fixed as well...two and a half hours. I'm on day six post op...this is a bad day...i am actually off of pain meds for the first time...but my stomach is cranky and i want to eat comfort fooods and I"m weak from hunger...yes...weak from hunger and surgery and 400 calories a day if i'm lucky and stuff them in ..i had skim milk with sugar free hawaian punch in it.. it was a total party in my mouth. I regret it but them tell myself that I have not gotten to solids yet and then I won't regret it...hang in there. i feel your pain...keep coming back to here for support....good luck ..hugs..seaview

I'm so glad your a little beter today.

I just read this thread for the first time and I was scared to think of you going back to work, but it sounds like it helped. I was encouraged to see you say that you think your on the mend.

One thing you must do for us is keep posting. It will be so uplifting for everyone to read from the begining of this thread to the post you will be making someday soon where you talk about your new life, your new esteem, and all the new cloths you had to buy.

I appreciate you telling us about your experience too. I go in 8 days and I'm not going to lie... I got scared reading... but ulitmately its better to go in with your eyes wide open.

Hang in there, use your heating pad, love yourself.

There's a big payoff comming.

Take care

Stacey

I know what you mean. Hang in there. The first month you send healing and getting used to your new tummy. I'm praying you get through this part as easy as possible!

How are you doing today? Listen to Tiffykins, she gives the best advice. I would contact your doctor to see if you can get some saline solution in you. I just finished my second week, and the end of the first week i ended up in ER for dehydration because i could not drink as much as I was supposed to. I am fine now.......feeling better every day. I was not expecting to feel so crappy the first week either, but you will get through this, and you won't regret it. Just drink ANY liquids you can........chicken broth with 2/3 Water warm worked for me. i can drink a 40 gram bottle of flavored Isopure everyday. You can do this.

Les

Andrea what is Reglan used to treat?

It was given to me for nausea, but this is what I found online:

"Metoclopramide increases muscle contractions in upper digestive tract. This speeds up the rate at which the stomach empties into the intestines.

Metoclopramide is used short-term to treat heartburn caused by gastroesophageal reflux in people who have used other medications without relief of symptoms.

Metoclopramide is also used to treat slow gastric emptying in people with diabetes (also called diabetic gastroparesis), which can cause nausea, vomiting, heartburn, loss of appetite, and a feeling of fullness after meals."

Also, I guess if you take it for a long time it can cause some weird disease...

Hi, this is my first post. I had my sleeve done on Friday, April 9. I'm feeling pretty good and able to go for some good walks. I did have some problems the day after surgery with dry heaves, blood pressure spikes, etc, but all that is behind me. I started at 275 and now at 265. I've been so focused on getting my Protein in, I sometimes forget to hydrate. Let'ds face it, I like instant gratification and those days are gone. Need to focus on little bites and little sips. Your body certainly tells you when you go too fast. I REALLY appreciate this website and the posts. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences. Cheers to everyone who has chosen to love themselves more than food.< /p>

Hi, this is my first post. I had my sleeve done on Friday, April 9. I'm feeling pretty good and able to go for some good walks. I did have some problems the day after surgery with dry heaves, blood pressure spikes, etc, but all that is behind me. I started at 275 and now at 265. I've been so focused on getting my Protein in, I sometimes forget to hydrate. Let'ds face it, I like instant gratification and those days are gone. Need to focus on little bites and little sips. Your body certainly tells you when you go too fast. I REALLY appreciate this website and the posts. I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences. Cheers to everyone who has chosen to love themselves more than food.

Congratulations on your surgery and welcome. How are you taking in your Protein? If shakes, they can be counted towards your 64+ ounces of Fluid each day.

Thanks for the info on Reglan. Glad it has helped!

fancyp, what exactly did your body do to let you know that you were going too fast?

Man from everything I'm reading I can see that I need to get ready for at least one week of rough going.

I think it's great that you all are posting here and getting some encouragement and feedback. It's good to know that going to work and getting busy is helpful in coping with your new stomach. I'll sure try to remember that. It's easy to think that lying around is a good thing but sounds like just the opposite is true.

I go for a consult with the dietician tomorow. I hope she gives me a food plan so that I can see what my doctor says that I should have on the days before and the first weeks after surgery.

Btw, the suggestion of thinning the cream of chicken Soup is cool. I wouldn't have thought of that. And I'll bet it goes down much easier.

For me, where I swallow too much or too many bites in successtion, my upper chest hurts and you get these spasms. You just have to wait it out and wait for the food to pass through. I am really careful, this is not a pleasant feeling. I haven't found the Protein drinks I like yet. My drs. office suggested instant Breakfast and that is working for me. I was thinking of going to GNC tonight to check out these liquid Protein shots. 25 grs of Protein in 1 ounce. It's just really hard to drink so much all day. It takes alot of time to get it all down. I am supposed to be on a soft diet this first week and I will admit, I ground up an all natural hotdog yesterday really fine and ate half of it. It went down alright and it was 5 gr of protein. Still alive today, so it must have been ok.

you get the chest pains

I have ordered some Protein from "bariwise" I have only been able to find it on line but they have powders that basically taste like crystal light. I like the grapefruit because I get sick of the sweet stuff. I used it on time when I went on the "metabolic research" diet (man... we've tried everything). It seems like since you have to hydrate anyway you could just put some of this in your Water. I wasn't really impressed with the stuff at GNC.

I guess I won't know what I will be able to tolerate till the time comes.

Stacey

My doctor uses a whey Protein powder that is amazingly good tasting. It may be expensive compared to stuff you can get at the grocery store or GNC, but for me, it's well worth it. Besides, I'll be saving tons of money on the usual food I won't be eating.

It's called "Peak Nutrition" and it is a bioengineered ion-exchange whey Protein. Lactose free whey. They claim it is 68% better than egg white and 97% better than soy. You can order it online I think although I get mine from the doc. Their address is: Peak Nutrition, Inc., 1877 Midland St., P.O. Box 87, Syracuse, NE 68446.

To get a good jolt of protein I mix chocolate with skim milk and it is better than the usual chocolate milk drink mix. But they have different flavors and vanilla can be mixed with lots of flavors to make something you like.

Please let me know if you try it. I'd love to get someone else's take on it.

Hey Heartonmysleeve.... are things any better?