Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to kick my diet coke habit pre-op, anyone else?

I swear I am a true Diet coke Addict. I can sometimes drink 1.5 to 2 liters per day. 48 oz cups when I stop for gas, free cans at the office, oh my!

Anyway I have moved over to other drinks Water, tea, crystal lite starting today. I have stopped before and always feel crappy a couple of days getting past the caffine headaches and general desire for that fizz and taste. Therefore, I thought I should get past that before surgery so I don't have additional headaches. I swear they lace that crap with something --search Diet Coke and addiction on the web its out of control! :scared0:

Edited by Swiftflow

Ah, a fellow Diet Coke addict! I'm actually having a fair amount of success kicking the soda habit, but caffeine... I need that! My sleeve is 5/6 so I have a little while before I have to give it up for good.

i'm right there......but just thinking about stopping. anyway good luck.

I swear I am a true Diet coke Addict. I can sometimes drink 1.5 to 2 liters per day. 48 oz cups when I stop for gas, free cans at the office, oh my!

:thumbup:

I wish I had even thought about doing that! I planned my surgery so quickly tho I didn't even think about weaning off anything. It was all about eating that favorite "one more time"!! :biggrin2:

I only had one diet pop each afternoon tho - either a can or glass, depending on if I was at home or at the office. But it was my afternoon "energy" to get thru the rest of the day.

I have tried flat and fresh pop, and it just isn't the same now. I do miss it.

Good Luck with your changes!

I too was an addict - but mine was Pepsi Max which has even more caffeine. What I did was wean down to avoid the headaches & other withdrawal symptoms. I started at 2 per day for one week, then down to 1 per day, then just a few sips until I was at 0 per day. I keep thinking about having one now that I'm a bit out, but just don't want to risk it. Hopefully, when I do taste it again I won't care for it. One can always hope. Good luck!!!!

I am right there with you. This may sound crazy but I was more worried about kicking the diet coke habit than the surgery :biggrin2:- it has been an addiction for more than 20 years - yikes! I see that you have your surgery at the end of this month. I weaned myself off of it for a period of about 5 weeks - a little less each week so I didn't feel deprived. I highly recommend you wean yourself off slowly so you don't make yourself crazy. I also switched over at the very end to caffenated tea so I'd have a little caffeine each day. To me, headaches are the worst!

I wish you lots of luck! You can do it!:thumbup: Just think how good you'll feel about yourself if you can get past this hurdle:biggrin2:

My addiction was mountain dew!! Luckily it was only one or two a day, but that was a lot of caffeine!! I have not had any pop since surgery, I drink Crystal light all day long. Much better for me anyway! But I did not give up my coffee.....NEVER will I do that!

But I did not give up my coffee.....NEVER will I do that!

LOL Typical Seattle attitude : ) Original home of Starbucks!!

I think coffee Beans smell great but I have never been able to stomach it. I might be able to drink most of a Single Tall NonFat Mocha Raspberry Latte with Whip Cream, but that's about it! LOL

LOL Typical Seattle attitude : ) Original home of Starbucks!!

I think coffee Beans smell great but I have never been able to stomach it. I might be able to drink most of a Single Tall NonFat Mocha Raspberry Latte with Whip Cream, but that's about it! LOL

You know, I went to Starbucks earlier this week for a meeting. I ordered a Tall Caramel Frap w/ no whip. While I was standing there waiting for them to make it, she told me they were out of the regular caramel (I guess mixer?) and only had Lite. I said that was fine. I swear to you, the Lite Caramel Frap tasted like Aquanet fumes. Bleh! LOL

Back on topic, I'm going to have to kick my Big Red addiction. I drink 1 20 oz a day usually from lunch onto bedtime. Sweet Tea is another thing I'm going to have to get used to giving up. That shouldn't be a problem though because I tend to go in cycles with Sweet Tea/Unsweet Tea (aka dirty Water as a friend calls it!)

You know, I went to Starbucks earlier this week for a meeting. I ordered a Tall Caramel Frap w/ no whip. While I was standing there waiting for them to make it, she told me they were out of the regular caramel (I guess mixer?) and only had Lite. I said that was fine. I swear to you, the Lite Caramel Frap tasted like Aquanet fumes. Bleh! LOL Ah, the Syrup they use. They usually have a regular and a sugar free in the most popular flavors. I'm not a big coffee person tho so really haven't experienced enough of both to know the difference. Kinda like Coke vs Pepsi. I have no clue! LOL

Back on topic, I'm going to have to kick my Big Red addiction. I drink 1 20 oz a day usually from lunch onto bedtime. Sweet Tea is another thing I'm going to have to get used to giving up. That shouldn't be a problem though because I tend to go in cycles with Sweet Tea/Unsweet Tea (aka dirty Water as a friend calls it!)

I totally gave in last week and got a $1 Sweet Tea from McDonalds! Sure, I can make them at home but they are so much better from there! :biggrin2:

You know, I went to Starbucks earlier this week for a meeting. I ordered a Tall Caramel Frap w/ no whip. While I was standing there waiting for them to make it, she told me they were out of the regular caramel (I guess mixer?) and only had Lite. I said that was fine. I swear to you, the Lite Caramel Frap tasted like Aquanet fumes. Bleh! LOL

I am a crazy coke addict...I MEAN Coke-cola = D But It really is only for the caffeine..I don't see anything wrong with caffeine, so after the surgery I am just going to opt for modified sweet tea...Iced tea+splenda or stieva or a liquid sweetener +raspberry torani....hope it is good cause that is really the only ideas I have.....LOL

Hey Swiftflow, I sleep with a bottle of diet coke beside my bed every night. BTW, you and I will be having surgery on the same date! The 28th is a Wednesday if I'm not mistaking. Mine will be taking place in Florida.. We should keep in touch.. Take care bro

PNW

That is not a coffee!!! That is a sugar high! LOL And the funny thing is Starbucks is my LAST choice of coffee places, I like Jitters!

PNW

That is not a coffee!!! That is a sugar high! LOL And the funny thing is Starbucks is my LAST choice of coffee places, I like Jitters!

OH! :001_smile: lol

I usually stop at the nearest gas station mini mart and make my own from whatever they have there. A little coffee, a little hot chocolate and about 20 of those little creamers! :tongue_smilie: I rarely finish it so why spend more than a dollar??

I'm not a diet coke addict. I'm a regular coke/pepsi/pibb addict! So that's even worse because in addition to the fizz I'm getting the calories and the carbs too. I decided three days ago to switch to diet sodas so I could at least start ditching some carbs before I have to hit the low carb pre-op diet in May.

This decision was triggered by the fact that I pulled out some of my spring capris and found one of my favorite pair to be tight in the stomach. I almost freaked out! :001_smile: I REFUSE to buy any bigger clothes before I have this surgery. I don't care if I have to wear the same three pair of pants to work from now until June.

Anyway, I can't believe I haven't been aware of all the carbs in regular soda before now. DUHHH! I'm a fairly intelligent person, so clearly this was selective attention on my part. I've only had one or two regular sodas in the past three days (as opposed to two or three a day), so that's a major victory for me. I think I'm seeing some progress already because I tried those capris on again and was able to fasten them without drama.

I'm going to stick with the diet sodas until I can decrease my cravings more and then start weaning off of them closer to surgery. Tea is a definite replacement drink for me. But being as I'm from the south, I only know how to order it as "sweet tea". :tongue_smilie: