Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to expect during the first couple of weeks . . .

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. My surgery is scheduled for April 19th. I'm a single mom with not a lot of folks out there to help me after I come home from the hospital. My kids are teenagers and can function just fine independently. But I'm wondering what I may be experiencing in the first couple of weeks that may require ME to need help. Can someone give me a blow by blow on what to expect and how I might be feeling? Also, what are the odds that I'll be able to go back to work in three weeks, barring complications?

Thanks!

Hello! Well first of all bear in mind that our bodies all seem to tolerate this really differently. I had my surgery on the 25th, I had some extra nausea and couldn't hold any liquids or my seizure medications down and had to stay until the 29th. When I finally got home a had a couple days of EXTREME anxiety. I wasn't thinking about things that made me anxious but it was as if the combo of me starting my period while there, having my medications all messed up, being exhausted, and still having anasthesia in my body were too much. I had to have something called in for me but then ended up only needing the two doses.

Since those first couple days I have felt pretty good, just very tired. And its a new sensation of tired for me. I am used to working 70 hour weeks and I do just fine, but this is where my body just feels like it can do nothing for me, but then I couldn't sleep worth Beans for a week either. Weird feeling! It sounds weird but for me getting all my liquids in is actually really time consuming. I have to set timers every 20 minutes otherwise I don't sip frequently enough.

The main thing I would worry about in your situation is having things lined up. Have the food your kids will need for 1-2 weeks in advance. I got my foster daughter lots of frozen stuff and apologized and said for this first little while you are on your own in the food dept. Then I have everything I need for myself arranged to. The few times I trudged around in the store intially were a joke for me (mostly cuz I was in pj's and a hoodie.)

Three weeks off work will be PLENTY. In fact at this point I am finding myself needing to go out because the WLS is already kind of an isolating thing, I would be really aware of my emotions in that time period. Use the message boards lots. Its cathartic and if you're experiencing it odds are someone else here has too.

You are going to do so well. I am in the not fun phase of things still, but I would do it again in a heartbeat if given the choice, and if possible I'd find myself 5 years ago and tell her to get it done to. You won't enjoy the first three weeks but you'll get through and we've all got your back!

I don't know what kind of work you do, but most people seem to be able to go back in about a week. My work is somewhat physical, so I planned for two, had an extra week available, and wound up going back for a couple of 5-hour days at 10 days out with no problem at all.

Most people also seem to be able to sleep in their own beds right off the bat. I couldn't... I came home with a drain, and the tube and bulb were just in the way, so I slept very comfortably in the recliner and loveseat.

For the first few days you'll have very sore abdominal muscles, and moving from sitting to standing, or lying to sitting, or rolling in bed, might cause you sharper pain... it's nice to have someone there to help pull you up from a chair, but not necessary. You may have some pains from the gas they use to inflate your abdomen... I had very little, some people are significantly bothered by it. You'll probably not want to vacuum for the first week or two either, but other than that you shouldn't be too limited with what you can do around the house.

Keep on asking questions, it's the best way to get yourself mentally prepared for the whole amazing thing! :001_rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the replies! Great advice, and I feel encouraged, comforted and supported already. And, Stacy, I never want to vacuum anyway, so that's not a problem. LOL!

(kinda long...)

I am just about three weeks out. I like Wannalise had quite a bit of nausea (I usually do after anesthesia) Are you having your sleeve done locally? I went to Mexico so I had the flight home to deal with after getting my nausea back via motion sickness driving thru the hills to get to the airport! I took off 2 weeks from work, I am glad I did I logged on to this site to get reassure and made myself a post-op diet plan based on different links I found here. Then I made a excel sheet so I could check things off. Nexium, vits, grams of Protein etc... I am still doing this it keeps me on track and it is visual for me (I have it where I have my meds) I also got a night cough (since I had a band I knew that was a sign of acid reflux). I called my Doc and he upped my Nexium to 40 mg (was @ 20mg) The cough has gone away.

I love not being hungry. I am struggling getting the Water in. but I am improving.

I bought a bunch of samples of various protein powders (the links to site are on this board). I have discovered that I cannot do any fruit flavored ones. I did find one I am ordering more of from Netrition it is Syntha-6 chocolate Peanut Butter, I mix it with soy slender soy milk (less sugar and more protein than milk)

I also got a sample pack from injury protein (very high quality) and liked the chicken Soup but didn't order more cause I don't think I would have kept drinking it (too salty for me-but it was nice to have the first week!)

I make sugar-free Jello with two scoops of unflavored injury protein can't taste the protein. Now I am on full liquids I am making sugar-free pudding with the injury (they have recipes on their site)

Today I am making pumpkin fluff to take with me to Easter dinner (I am not ready for soft yet...also bringging soup with me) (container of light cool whip, can of pumpkin, sugar-free cheesecake pudding, 1 t. pumpkin pie spice and 2 scoop vanilla protein powder)

I bought a "bullet" LOVE IT. I allows me to blend my Protein Drinks one at a time the cups go right in the dishwasher.

I was very tired the first 2 weeks (your body is using extra energy and calories to heal)

I did not step on the scale every day. I weighed myself only twice. I am now waiting till 1 month out. What I know is my jeans didn't require me to squat down to make them fit today! I feel like my energy is back and I am on the road to goal !

Keep in touch and keeping looking on this board you will find inspiration and hope that this too will work for you! (I did!!!!!)

D.

Thanks, D. I am having surgery locally - I live on Long Island in New York. So no plane ride for me. Just a 15 minute car ride. And I've always done well after anesthesia. So hopefully that part will go smoothly. I'm going to try to stock up on all of things I'll need for the first couple of weeks. Am making a roasted chicken tonight and will make chicken stock from it. I though I'd freeze small portions of the clear stock to use after surgery. Nothing's better than homemade, right? Maybe I'll invest in a bullet too. And I've heard rave reviews about SEI's Ultimate Protein. But that's flavored. Not sure which unflavored protein add-in to use. Good luck with your recovery!!! You sound like you are prepared and well on the way. That weigh in will no doubt be awesome!

Like everyone else said, for the most part it would be good to have the food ready for the rest of the family. It can be difficult to watch others eat when you're on the post op diet.

I would not order a bunch of any Protein drinks in large quantities. Most people said their taste for things completely changed after surgery.

Go and check out the link in the food section on places to get samples. You also may want to get some unflavored Protein powder for the post op diet that you can mix with crystal lite, sf Hawaiian punch, sf Koolaide, sf poweraide, etc. Also be sure to have some sf popsicles on hand. Once you move to full liquids you can have Soup,

sf pudding, and usually doctors will allow yogurt at this stage.

I was not sore at all once I was home from the hospital. I just needed to be close to a restroom. The liquids in, liquids out causes diarrhea and sometimes it comes

rather suddenly.

For most people, the post op recovery is easier than they expected. There are people who are very nauseous at first, but those people are in the minority. If that happens, be sure to get a prescription from your doctor for

nausea medication. That is when people get dehydrated which causes all sorts of other problems, if they are too nauseous to drink their liquids.

Thanks. I appreciate the advice!

I had my surgery March 31st - came home on April 2nd. All the other commenters made valid points but I thought I'd add a couple. One, you aren't supposed to be lifting much (my doc says no more than 10 lbs for a month) and he doesn't want me to drive until he clears me. Such activities put a strain on the surgery site and if a leak is going to develop it is most likely going to happen in the first 10 days or so. I see him on April 8th for a checkup and to have my drain removed. Hopefully after that time I'll be allowed to drive. Fortunately my wife is willing to do the lifting and driving for now.

I haven't much pain except when I change position, but that is manageable. I am taking pain meds, which helps. I also don't have any appetite and I've had to force myself to take in the proper amount of nourishment. I'm sleeping fine (on my back) in my own bed although at first I was getting up every hour or so to use the bathroom. I suspect it was from the IV's because when I came home I weighed 12 lbs more than I did the morning of surgery. It took a couple of days to clear all that Fluid out.

One thing I've noticed is that foods don't taste quite the same after as they did before. In my pre-op diet I was having sugar free Jello but now it tastes too sweet! I have also taken to watering down the juices I drink. Even Water tastes a little different if you can believe that. I don't know if changes in taste are temporary or not but they may effect what you can get down.

I do want to compliment the doctor and hospital where I had my surgery. They have done hundreds of Bariatric procedures and have the pre and post care down pat. Dr. Tallal Zeni and the Michigan Bariatric Institute at St. Mary Mercy Hospital of Livonia.

Edited by OldAv8tor

Thanks from me too, to all contributors, as I was also anxious to know what people went thru....

Catyroses, now that you have had the surgery what would you say to someone who is considering having the surgery? Is there anything you would add to this list that everyone else posted? What did it physically feel like the first few days/weeks after surgery?